Sox fans, how hard has it been?

CWSOX45

Just a quick question, I think I may need therapy...this is starting to feel a lot like last year's slump where we almost blew the 15 game lead. I know we didn't give it up, and people keep reminding me that this team rebounded, but I seriously feel like the season was lost tonight.

I'm just wondering if any other posters feel an extreme sense of hopelessness after multiple losses. (bad losses, especially to the Twins and Detroit) I keep trying to tell myself that it's just baseball, and that it shouldn't affect me this much....but it does. (I actually have had trouble sleeping the past few nights thanks to the Sox)

Do I need help?

One loss during our slump last year mentally pissed me off a lot more than 3 losses during this slump. Winning the World Series last year is the greatest sports moment of my life, and NOTHING will ever top it. Relax...it will be ok. If we don't make the playoffs, just go buy the DVD collection with all the games, and watch the 2005 playoffs while the 2006 playoffs are going on.

I can understand where you are coming from. The most frustrating thing for me with the White Sox is that they have a "things will get better" attitude. They don't seem to want to make the necessary adjustments when need be, they believe that teams just go through these stretches and eventually they will come out of it. Last year it almost cost us the division and this year....well, we'll see how far that attitude gets this team.

Well, it certainly is bad times for the Sox right now. Still early to panic about missing the playoffs, I'm eager to see if Kenny can get some help in.

Everyone handles the losses differently though.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
One loss during our slump last year mentally pissed me off a lot more than 3 losses during this slump. Winning the World Series last year is the greatest sports moment of my life, and NOTHING will ever top it. Relax...it will be ok. If we don't make the playoffs, just go buy the DVD collection with all the games, and watch the 2005 playoffs while the 2006 playoffs are going on.

Agreed.

I used to despise this guy here, and now it's all good. :P

I don't feel hopeless but it grows old that I'm coming to expect losses much like last September

before Cleveland dropped the fly ball in cf against the Royals and we got our spiff together and

dominated the rest of the way.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
Just a quick question, I think I may need therapy...this is starting to feel a lot like last year's slump where we almost blew the 15 game lead. I know we didn't give it up, and people keep reminding me that this team rebounded, but I seriously feel like the season was lost tonight.

I'm just wondering if any other posters feel an extreme sense of hopelessness after multiple losses. (bad losses, especially to the Twins and Detroit) I keep trying to tell myself that it's just baseball, and that it shouldn't affect me this much....but it does. (I actually have had trouble sleeping the past few nights thanks to the Sox)

Do I need help?

Last year once the sox were in danger of losing that 15 game lead my stomach would hurt after every loss...i'm getting that same feeling in this current "slump" only because it's not that we're a bad team, but because it seems like we can't get anything to go our way and/or stay consistent

This absolutely ruins my day for like a good 6-8 hours....until we get close enough to where I can focus to our next game.

I have seen us take so many steps in this past year...not just the World Series, but in turning the baseball landscape on its head in this City. In building this once dominant franchise into an AL powerhouse again. In making this a huge market team that can represent what a great and wonderful City Chicago is, not the pathetic effort they make on the North Side.

Last year was the first step in making this franchise what it should be.

This year is supposed to be the second step- and it is all starting to fall apart before our eyes in a few hot weeks in July. It pains me to no end.

the only thing im disturbed about, is that the SOX were on their way to complete domination of the City

and its fans. But lets be honest, the SOX havnt been playing that well (despite the record) for a while .....and things are now turning against them

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)

This is pretty much where I am at. Kenny and Ozzie have done, and are doing everything to get the best players on that field, preforming at their optimal levels, and for some reason it just isn't happening right now. It happens in sports. Am I going to let it ruin my day? Nope. Enjoy they games for what they are worth, a 3 hour break from the doldrums of real life. Remember, it is just a game for us.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 08:50 AM)
This is pretty much where I am at. Kenny and Ozzie have done, and are doing everything to get the best players on that field, preforming at their optimal levels, and for some reason it just isn't happening right now. It happens in sports. Am I going to let it ruin my day? Nope. Enjoy they games for what they are worth, a 3 hour break from the doldrums of real life. Remember, it is just a game for us.

^^^

This may be the first time in my life that I won't be pissed when the Sox miss the playoffs. Despite what's happening right now, memories of 2005 are still swimming around in my head. Beyond what happened on the field, the organization really turned a corner last year. The Sox are going to be competitive for at least the next couple of years, whatever happens down the stretch this year, I'll be eagerly awaiting March of '07.

Edited by WCSox

This isn't as bad as 2005 because there we had something to lose.

We've never been in first so thus far we haven't been in a position to lose anything... that we never had.

It doesn't mean that it doesn't suck royally and you wonder how, with a team that on paper supposedly was far superior to '05, this could happen. You wonder how in the hell a Detroit team on the verge of implosion last year (Pudge wanted to be traded, remember?) just cannot lose.

You wonder how Minnesota, without three starters, is like the Cleveland of last year (and Cleveland, whom everybody expected to battle us for 1st place, is AWOL).

Welcome to baseball, I guess. It sucks, and hopefully we'll pull out of it, but no: that last month in 2005 was absolutely gut-wrenching. A free-fall. This is more like a slow, torturous death, LOL...

This season has been worse because we are watching our vaunted pitching fail big time and our offense head South too. Hitters that fail to execute on bunts and can't get the fly ball with a runner on third, or big hit when we have two outs. Pitchers that give up way too many homers and can't get the out with 2 strikes on the hitter.

It seems everytime we have a rally and need just a flyball to bring in the runner from third all we get is a strike out and then pop up. We can't get the bunt down to save our lives. Now when Gload bunted twice vrs Detroit and Garland pitched a great game we won. We know we have the talent.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
I learned my lesson last year and have been too busy to watch the games anyways. Tivo is a great thing, just fast forward through all the bad things..

Which lately has been the entire game.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
Honestly, I've learned to take it in stride. I'll be pissed for maybe 10-15 minutes afterwards, and then I don't care. Why should I care longer than that? I don't play. I don't make trades. I don't make managerial changes.

fish that. Players, managers, GMs, even owners come and go. Most of the players haven't even been on the Sox for more than 3 years. We've been fans for most of our lives. It's our team, moreso than the players or coaches or managment.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
This isn't as bad as 2005 because there we had something to lose.

We've never been in first so thus far we haven't been in a position to lose anything... that we never had.

It doesn't mean that it doesn't suck royally and you wonder how, with a team that on paper supposedly was far superior to '05, this could happen. You wonder how in the hell a Detroit team on the verge of implosion last year (Pudge wanted to be traded, remember?) just cannot lose.

You wonder how Minnesota, without three starters, is like the Cleveland of last year (and Cleveland, whom everybody expected to battle us for 1st place, is AWOL).

Welcome to baseball, I guess. It sucks, and hopefully we'll pull out of it, but no: that last month in 2005 was absolutely gut-wrenching. A free-fall. This is more like a slow, torturous death, LOL...

Uh, we've been in first this year, but I get your points.