Twins @ Sox - 7/26 Game Thread

Kalapse

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 01:04 PM)
on the bright side, we're still way ahead of cleveland

Yeah who would of thunk at the beginning of the year that we would be in 3rd and Cleveland in 4th now. Baseball sure is a funny game, and one that is hard to predict

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
I honestly don't think it'll matter. I think he has ruined his ability to freak out like that and have it have an effect on the team. He freaks out too much...It's lost it's luster. This team is going to have to get out of this funk on their own.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kind of tired of the "I'm sure the players are as upset/angry/frustrated as the fans are right now" BS. If they were as upset as we are, then I would think we'd see some intensity in these guys. They are rolling over and playing dead. They have been flat as a pancake since the ASB. I see no fire.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
I don't want to tell you that you are wrong and I am right I guess we just aren't looking at the same pitcher. Brandon's ERA is at 4 and he hasn't shined like last year. Syaing that though I think being a starter and not a reliever is where he should be at on this team. He hasn't been a relief pitcher before and I think has even said it has been a work in progress for him.

ERA's by month

April: 3.38

May: 6.14

June: 2.70

July: 3.72

Now, ERA isn't the best measure for relievers, and no, he isn't nearly as good as he was during the stretch run last year, but what do you expect from him? This is the first time he's ever pitched out of the pen for a whole year in his ENTIRE career. Its not the same thing as being a starter.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
His pitching out of the pen has improved throughout the year. He had a crappy May, but outside of that, he's been good.

He started off just fine in April.

He isn't that good.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
I honestly don't think it'll matter. I think he has ruined his ability to freak out like that and have it have an effect on the team. He freaks out too much...It's lost it's luster. This team is going to have to get out of this funk on their own.

Maybe some of our clubhouse leaders will call a players' only meeting and see what they, themselves, can do to break out of this death spiral. Paulie? Jermaine? AJ?

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
I'm kind of tired of the "I'm sure the players are as upset/angry/frustrated as the fans are right now" BS. If they were as upset as we are, then I would think we'd see some intensity in these guys. They are rolling over and playing dead. They have been flat as a pancake since the ASB. I see no fire.

That's why I like Neal Cotts.

He throws spiff all over the place and bangs his glove on stuff.

Go Neal.

What are the odds that we see KW after the game in the press room anouncing a trade. With the Tigers and Twins playing each other this weekend we need to sweep Baltimore. If not today then he better make a move tomorrow.

Edited by Soxman72

QUOTE(Balance @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 08:07 PM)
Maybe some of our clubhouse leaders will call a players' only meeting and see what they, themselves, can do to break out of this death spiral. Paulie? Jermaine? AJ?

That's where it needs to come from

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where's our Neshek?

Anyone?

Kelly Wunsch has been out of the Sox system since 2003

Shingo Takatsu was released in June of 2005.

Flash, you didn't answer my main point in your other thread. Why should we care about young arms and bullpen filler guys in the minors if we control 10 of our current pitchers through 2007 and 9 of them through 2008?

QUOTE(Balance @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)

Well our next 6 games are vs Baltimore and KC, that should help

QUOTE(Balance @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)

Paulie's a lover not a fighter. Dinger with nobody on. :bringit

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
ERA's by month

April: 3.38

May: 6.14

June: 2.70

July: 3.72

Now, ERA isn't the best measure for relievers, and no, he isn't nearly as good as he was during the stretch run last year, but what do you expect from him? This is the first time he's ever pitched out of the pen for a whole year in his ENTIRE career. Its not the same thing as being a starter.

How does he do with inherited runners?

I'm really having a hard time being negative about this swing

I'm more philosophical

Last year I would not have been surprised one iota if we had folded at any point

I just don't see us missing the playoffs with this talent

Buehrle will straighten himself out, one way or another.

Garland is coming around

we will get rid fo Vaz and move Bmac in

Contreras has been good enough, albeit somewhat mediocre recently

that leaves Garcia as a long term problem. We can fix this via trade.

Am I misreading a calendar? Is it July 26th or do I have the wrong month? Somebody please clear this up for me.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
He started off just fine in April.

He isn't that good.

Yes, he did. He also had a great month of June and an average July. He had a horrible May, but past that, I don't see how you can complain.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)

Exactly, only ones that I could see that are pissed are Pierzynski and Cotts.

if we want something to happen to shake up this team, then we should trade a big piece of the team, like JD or Thome or Konerko. It sounds drastic, but we're sucking hard right now. That would definitely shake things up around here.

QUOTE(atrain081 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
you gotta wonder what's going through the players' heads right now.

Thats what Ive been very fearful about. Ive been furious at the number of Games the SOX have simply chosen to give away, either with Ozzies B lineups, or his intentional Misuse of the Bullpen. You add up the giveaway Games, plus the games you actually do lose, plus the games you never had a chance to win anyway, and Guess What? Thats how you eliminate yourself from playing in October. Thats how you lose series after series. Ozzie showed the guys how to lose, and now the SOX have seemingly forgotten how to Win. I swear thats what this team looks like right now, and this much I can blame Ozzie for,

because These guys have got to be thinking WE STINK and Morale is at an all time low, including the fact the teams "Lost" some players now confidence wise now (Buehrle/Vazquez/Politte/Cotts)

We shouldnt be at this point, once you start losing, it gets really easy to start making mental mistakes, pressing, swinging at bad pitches, Making terrible pitches to hitters. All of this was pretty evident as early as 6/25 against Houston. And again on 6/29. And again on 7/1 and Especially 7/2 (nice way to instill confidence in MB Ozz). This stuff has snowballed since then .............. Whats worse, is weve also managed to instill confidence in some other teams now who are (were) chasing us for the wild card. Momentum is so key in this game (hahahahaha, I said Momentum) and unfortuneately for the SOX, its going the wrong way ....Fast.