Zito to Sox (3-Way trade possibility)

Steve9347

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think Soriano's price will indeed drop a bit, although as one poster said some team might flinch. But I do not think any team will give up an A+ prospect (or more for that matter) for a rental.

Also if Carlos Lee does come on the market, it will affect the interest level in Soriano, even though as another poster correctly stated, they are different kinds of players.

My impression of the White Sox and Nationals discussions is this ... it cooled down yesterday because Bowden can't get the prospect(s) he wants from the White Sox. My hunch is they both said to one another "let's talk again soon" and Bowden is out there shopping Soriano.

Meanwhile, KW and Hahn are out there exploring every possible avenue. I believe their first goal is an impact pitcher, a starter. Close behind that is an impact bat. And they are trying to do this without subtracting from any area of the team. They will upgrade, which of course could mean someone gets traded and a better player is brought in ... sort of like the Widger/Alomar scenario but on a much larger scale.

As for acquiring a bench player, I would love it but at the moment I believe it's more likely Gload will get moved and they'll go with 12 pitchers, with the 12th pitcher being an outside acquisition.

Things will heat up starting tomorrow at the latest and deals will start to happen.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Really? Only 3 or 4 teams could use a very good starting pitcher?

Teams that could be involved with the sox in a 3 way, yes. You think the sox want to help another AL team? The NL wild card teams need help getting to the playoffs. Yet most won't mortgage the future for a two month rental in Zito. Ariz. is stacked with prospects so they might be an exception. Teams like the Mets and STL might be more willing to gamble and give up the talent needed to get Zito as they have bigger leads and need help to go deep into the playoffs, not just trying to make the playoffs.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
What on earth that Kenny has ever done would make you think he wouldn't be the one going after Barry Zito?

I'm saying it's more likely KW would be the 3rd team involved, as trading away top prospects for a two month rental [he's not going to re-sign Zito for a long term max contract with all the cash locked up w/ the current group] goes against him public statements and actions in previous trades.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:21 AM)
I suggested that because maybe you could get the Dodgers pay a bit of his deal, like they did with Odalis Perez.

And with Podsednik probably leaving next season (even though he is arbitration eligible IIRC), we'll need a leadoff hitter to replace him. Upgrading from Uribe, seems like the best choice for me, if you can't get a guy like Carl Crawford.

Plus if you trade Garcia, you save the $10M you'll have to pay him next season as well. You might as well put that money towards something right?

one word... CREDE

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:08 AM)
If it gives us a better chance to make it to the playoffs and win the world series THIS YEAR then I do not care. Do you remember it was 88 years between world series? I would rather win again this year then be able to say "wow that Sweeney sure is good, I am glad we kept him instead of winning another world series"

'Nuf said.

To each his own, two different philosophies. I value prospects, and wouldn't give up the teams best one for a 2 month rental, you apparently would.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
Guys you got it all wrong. This is typical Kenny flying under the radar. We're not getting Zito or Soriano. We're not getting another reliever either. There is only one man that I see us getting. The Man, The Myth, The Legend...

GeoffBlumWSGM3_14InningGWHR.jpg

^^Coming soon to a Sox game near you.

We dont need another reliever. Our bullpen looks real solid now. The only way you get another bullpen arm is if for the love of god you are putting bmac into the rotaiton and sending one of the pitchers away. However that isnt likely considering one of them is a golfing buddy and the other is related.

A left fielder who can hit better that our glorified singles hitter out in LF would be nice.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
We dont need another reliever. Our bullpen looks real solid now. The only way you get another bullpen arm is if for the love of god you are putting bmac into the rotaiton and sending one of the pitchers away. However that isnt likely considering one of them is a golfing buddy and the other is related.

A left fielder who can hit better that our glorified singles hitter out in LF would be nice.

I know, that's why I said we're getting neither.

:bang

:gosox1: :gosox4: :gosox2: :gosoxretro:

Or we'll just clone Crede a bunch of times and have them play different positions. :D

In the midst of studying so don't have time to read this whole thread. Can anyone sum things up, are these rumors hot or more preliminary discussion.

Also have any names officially been linked to this rumor (in the sense of the 3rd team involved and names other than Zito that are a part of it)?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
In the midst of studying so don't have time to read this whole thread. Can anyone sum things up, are these rumors hot or more preliminary discussion.

Also have any names officially been linked to this rumor (in the sense of the 3rd team involved and names other than Zito that are a part of it)?

rumor is based on conjecture and as a result, no 3rd team is named.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
I'm kinda sick of hearing from the Sox how untradable Brandon McCarthy is, but then at the same time apparantly he's not good enough to start over Javier Vazquez. :bang

For real. At least the Angels were smart enough to finally pick little Weaver over the awful older brother. Looks like we will continue to be stubborn and keep going with the guy making the big bucks.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
For real. At least the Angels were smart enough to finally pick little Weaver over the awful older brother. Looks like we will continue to be stubborn and keep going with the guy making the big bucks.

Well it doesn't help when you owe that veteran guy about $10M next season (Garcia) or a multi-year deal into the future with Vazquez.

Weaver only had a 1 year deal so it wasn't really a hard decision to cut him loose.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
I think we might see Brandon move into the starting rotation very soon...

I wonder if Beane would be willing to talk Broadway and Haeger?

Think he would want a top notch prospect as a minimum. Broadway's probably a mid rotation starter at best, and nobody knows what Haeger is going to do in the future.