Only 2 players that I really want for leadoff

southsideirish

Brian Roberts from Baltimore and Carl Crawford from Tampa Bay. What would it take to get either of them? Is it possible to get either? These are the only players that I believe would really make a difference for us in the leadoff spot. They get on base, steal bases, and score runs. What would it take to get a deal for either of them done?

Brian Roberts from Baltimore and Carl Crawford from Tampa Bay. What would it take to get either of them? Is it possible to get either? These are the only players that I believe would really make a difference for us in the leadoff spot. They get on base, steal bases, and score runs. What would it take to get a deal for either of them done?

Interesting topic, because I can see KW wanting to upgrade the leadoff spot with an impact guy.

Crawford and Soriano fit the bill.

I think they have the bullets to get Soriano, but not Crawford.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
Carl Crawford will require, by all accounts, Brandon McCarthy to be moved. Tampa has asked for Ervin Santana + one of the Angels other studs for him, and without getting that, they just said no thanks.

The flip side of that is did the DRays learn their lesson from asking too much for Aubry Huff?

QUOTE(dyenamite23 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
TB has always asked to much for there players

New GM now.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
Chatanooga is so close to Tampa and Detroiit.

He added some relevent information to topic. Why shoot him down for it?

If you want to talk about FO's wanting too much, you can look no further than Baltimore.

Forget getting any players worth a damn from Peter Angelos.

The Tigers recently inquired about Tejada, and were told they would need to be willing to include Verlander or Bonderman to even enter the discussion.

What a joke that franchise is now.

And it used to be so solid.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
If you want to talk about FO's wanting too much, you can look no further than Baltimore.

Forget getting any players worth a damn from Peter Angelos.

The Tigers recently inquired about Tejada, and were told they would need to be willing to include Verlander or Bonderman to even enter the discussion.

What a joke that franchise is now.

And it used to be so solid.

Why exactly does Baltimore need to get rid of Tejada without getting back a potential star? Its not like he has a bad contract, it's not like he's currently begging to leave. If they add a few arms around him, he could be a key part of building a really good team there.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
Why exactly does Baltimore need to get rid of Tejada without getting back a potential star? Its not like he has a bad contract, it's not like he's currently begging to leave. If they add a few arms around him, he could be a key part of building a really good team there.

They should get back quality prospects.

Tell me what contender is going to move young, cheap, quality players so they can acquire an aging, slow, beat up, poor defensive shortstop who makes $13 million?

The Orioles are going nowhere with Tejada. They have some nice young pitching in their farm system, but no one who is ready now, and probably not ready to pitch well next year either.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
They should get back quality prospects.

Tell me what contender is going to move young, cheap, quality players so they can acquire an aging, slow, beat up, poor defensive shortstop who makes $13 million?

The Orioles are going nowhere with Tejada. They have some nice young pitching in their farm system, but no one who is ready now, and probably not ready to pitch well next year either.

A slow, beat up shortstop? The guy's hitting .329 with 18 home runs and 70 RBIs this season. Tell me what team is going to move a shortstop putting up those kind of numbers if they're not getting back something incredibly valuable in return? What sort of prospect level would you expect them to get back in return for moving a guy like that? If I'm baltimore, I'm demanding something along the lines of a potential #1 starter next year, or a potential all star within 2 years, or something like that. There's no reason to dump that guy unless it's going to make you better immediately or it's going to make you vastly better in 2-3 years.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
A slow, beat up shortstop? The guy's hitting .329 with 18 home runs and 70 RBIs this season. Tell me what team is going to move a shortstop putting up those kind of numbers if they're not getting back something incredibly valuable in return? What sort of prospect level would you expect them to get back in return for moving a guy like that? If I'm baltimore, I'm demanding something along the lines of a potential #1 starter next year, or a potential all star within 2 years, or something like that. There's no reason to dump that guy unless it's going to make you better immediately or it's going to make you vastly better in 2-3 years.

Have you seen him play ss this year?

He is terrible defensively.

He insists on playing every game because of his consecutive games streak- so he has a bum knee.

He doesn't run out any ground balls, and rarely will he even dive for a ball.

He shows up late to the game. And sulks much of the time.

He is probably 2-3 years older than whatever he claims he is.

The only reason he is there is because he draws fans to the ballpark and Angelos is afraid he will lose the casual fan if he deals him for prospects. But no team is going to surrender solid, cheap young pitching for Tejada.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
Here is another name that I would just like to throw out there, that can also play LF. 22 SBs, high OBP. What would it take to get Ryan Freel from Cincy? Any thoughts?

I don't know but what would it take to get Liriano, Pujols, and Papelbon?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know but what would it take to get Liriano, Pujols, and Papelbon?

Are you comparing Liriano, Pujols, and Papelbon to Crawford, Roberts, and Freel? WOW! OK. Maybe Crawford belongs in that group, but come on. I didn't know we were hurting at closer and 1b, but I would love to get Liriano. Plus all of those teams are pretty damn good. It only took the Twins AJ Pierzynski to get Nathan, Liriano, Bonser. So maybe that is all it takes.

Anyway, I don't think I am asking a really outrageous question like you are making it out to be. Tampa is said to be listening to offers for Crawford. Baltimore needs pitching and is no where near the playoffs. Cincy (are they still leading the wild card race?) is good, but they have a lot of holes and are always looking for pitching.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
Are you comparing Liriano, Pujols, and Papelbon to Crawford, Roberts, and Freel? WOW! OK. Maybe Crawford belongs in that group, but come on. I didn't know we were hurting at closer and 1b, but I would love to get Liriano. Plus all of those teams are pretty damn good. It only took the Twins AJ Pierzynski to get Nathan, Liriano, Bonser. So maybe that is all it takes.

Anyway, I don't think I am asking a really outrageous question like you are making it out to be. Tampa is said to be listening to offers for Crawford. Baltimore needs pitching and is no where near the playoffs. Cincy (are they still leading the wild card race?) is good, but they have a lot of holes and are always looking for pitching.

i dont think freel is going anywhere unless we give up a real good pitcher like bmac which i will not do

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
Here is another name that I would just like to throw out there, that can also play LF. 22 SBs, high OBP. What would it take to get Ryan Freel from Cincy? Any thoughts?

You better put extra money in the budget for bail if you acquire Ryan . . .