Only 2 players that I really want for leadoff

southsideirish

QUOTE(dyenamite23 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
im just throwing this out there but could we get pierre and put him in left

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

1. J Pierre 99 417 50 116 21 7 1 19 154 20 29 37 10 .321 .369 .278

S Podsednik 91 346 66 94 22 6 3 37 137 40 63 29 12 .348 .396 .272

No.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
No.

his average is rising and he has stolen more bases than pods i dont no how he would do on defense

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
No.

his average is rising and he has stolen more bases than pods i dont no how he would do on defense

QUOTE(dyenamite23 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)

Never.

QUOTE(dyenamite23 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
or what about figgins

POS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

LAA OF 98 385 60 101 13 4 5 32 137 43 65 38 11 .335 .356 .262

yes, we like Figgins, but he isn't available until the offseason.

QUOTE(dyenamite23 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
or what about figgins

POS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

LAA OF 98 385 60 101 13 4 5 32 137 43 65 38 11 .335 .356 .262

Notice how the numbers are still lowers than Pods' numbers.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
Notice how the numbers are still lowers than Pods' numbers.

+ Defense + Versatility + MUCH better baserunning. Put him in a better lineup and watch him thrive. But we've had this convo WAY too many times.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Why would we want Juan Pierre when he's even less of a threat to get on base than Scott?

And is one of the few players in baseball with a more pathetic arm.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
+ Defense + Versatility + MUCH better baserunning. Put him in a better lineup and watch him thrive. But we've had this convo WAY too many times.

It's just as fun as the first time :P

QUOTE(dyenamite23 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
ozzie was the third base coach when pierre was back in florida and can get pierre to do get back to do what he did in fl

Changing managers isn't going to improve a guy's batting average. He just can't consistently find the holes like he used too, and if he's not hitting at least .310 he as a fairly low OBP. He's basically the same player as Pods, if not worse at this point.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Two leadoff hitters I want in silver and black:

1. Carl Crawford

2. Chone Figgins.

Get Soriano, see if Stoneman bites for Figgins since the D-Rays grossly overvalue their players. A longshot with how Stoneman works, but a guy can dream.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
Interesting topic, because I can see KW wanting to upgrade the leadoff spot with an impact guy.

Crawford and Soriano fit the bill.

I think they have the bullets to get Soriano, but not Crawford.

Hasn't Roberts played some outfield or was Hairston the only guy to play outfield. Long term I could see the SOx having interest in a guy like Roberts.

I do think Pods is gone at the end of the year (via trade) and we will acquire a new top of the order guy. Ozzie loves Brian Roberts.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
The flip side of that is did the DRays learn their lesson from asking too much for Aubry Huff?

Ya, but they don't have to trade Crawford. He's signed to an affordable deal, the problem is they don't think they'll be ready to compete during the time of his contract so they will trade him if they get the right offer, but they aren't about to drop there demands.

Crawford is probably as underrated of a player as there is in the game. You look at his career numbers at this point and compare them to some of the games top players (Bonds, Rickey Henderson) and you'll see his are right on par to what they did.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
Changing managers isn't going to improve a guy's batting average. He just can't consistently find the holes like he used too, and if he's not hitting at least .310 he as a fairly low OBP. He's basically the same player as Pods, if not worse at this point.

One season means he can't consistently find holes. Wasn't the guy a career .300 hitter. He's obviously had some rough patches and Wrigley isn't the best place for a slap hitter, but the guy is much better than a lot of people on this site seem to think.

If Ozzie wants speed, Pierre is better than Pods. I realize Pods has the better OBP and aside from speed and defense Pods has actually been solid (he works counts really well) but Ozzie wants guys that put pressure on the defense, Pierre can bunt, is a darn good contact hitter and can still steal bases (a key need in a leadoff hitter for Ozzie).

Whether we agree with what Ozzie wants is up for debate, but hte fact is he likes (scratch that, LOVES) speed at the top of the order and Scotty isn't providing it while at the same time he isn't providing any defense.