And That's A White Sox Loss

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Misunderstood? Guillen himself has replied, when asked why a starter was left out, that he was attempting to give his starter an opportunity to win. I know this isn't an exact quote, but it isn't a figment of my imagination, either.

Concerning yourself with a starters victory total means, in essence, leaving them out one inning more than necessary. This isn't Guillen thinking, "I rather see a 'W' next to Garcia than Jenks," but him disregarding a pitchers fatigue or a team's previous inning success against someone. How many times have we seen Garcia battle though the 6th or 7th inning, just escape, and come out the following inning only to give up a run? All with a rested bullpen. You can call it instilling confidence, I believe it's failing to recognize a game situation.

Yes, you're right, that's exactly what he said, he was giving his starter an opportunity to win. Wins instill confidence, it's no secret. He lets his starters battle through adversity and I'm sure it's based on consulting the pitcher themselves, Cooper, and the catcher. He has rarely if ever let a guy go more than 120 pitches.

He wants them to grow, develop, trust themselves and their catcher, learn to adjust, raise their level of competitiveness, etc. All because he knows good starting pitching wins.

Now lately, it's been a bad scenario for him, particularly with Vazquez. Personally I believe he's shown Vazquez a little too much faith the last two starts, even though in the Mon. game I feel Cuddyher hit a decent pitch (not great but not a hanger) and Morneau hit an outside changeup that half of SoxTalk would beach about Morneau trying to pull if he were on the Sox :bang . Morneau is on fire, but I digress, I don't think he pitched especially badly in the 6th but I disagreed with Guillen for bringing him out for the 7th. And that's why I think KW believes they need another arm, because the starters have not been up to snuff.

As much as the focus is on this year ... I think it's been Fathom who has correctly stated they have a window of a couple of years, and most of this starting pitching is locked up. And I also think Guillen wants to instill confidence in these guys so they perform at a high level for a few years. Granted they have not this year, and I think he needs to adjust and shorten the game for them (it's about the 5th time I've said it in this thread, sorry). I believe they have high mileage from last year's extended run and they're hitting a wall right now. Vazquez was supposed to ease that burden but it hasn't worked out that way. So I totally agree they need to adjust but I do not see McCarthy as being the magic pill. Shorten the game for these guys and I think you will see better results in September. Hopefully it will mean something.

PERCENTAGE OF SUBS:

C: 22%

1B: 5%

2B: 18% (brief injury)

3B: 8% (incredibly brief injury)

SS: 19% (brief injury)

LF: 18%

CF: 38%

RF: 12% (brief injury)

Thanks for posting this, it's interesting stuff.

So basically if you look at it position by position, he subs on average 1 out of 5 times. Anderson was struggling so bad that I can understand that high of a number for CF but at this point I believe Brian should be out there 6 out of 7 games.

On another note it appears that Pierzynski is very very tired. His bat is dragging and we're seeing more and more passed balls.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Although, even with this knowledge, I can't honestly fault Guillen for how he currently assembles his lineup. His reluctant to play Anderson -- once a peeve of mine -- has diminished quite a bit. Yes, certain matchups against a pitcher have been strange, but our bench is relatively deep. Or atleast it appeared so until this recent slump. Guillen can't help but tinker. :D

Ozzie's Reluctance to play Anderson has diminished? I'm afraid I barely see that. Take today as a prime example. Anderson has faced Silva 5 times already in his career, is 3/5 with a home run. But because Silva's a righty, Ozzie decides to play matchup, and once again, Anderson winds up on the bench, and Mack is out in CF. For once it probably didn't cost us not having BA out there on defense, because balls just left the yard, but today really pissed me off with that. (Mack was 1/2 against Silva coming into this game)

The same thing with Iguchi today too...Iguchi's barely hitting .200 against lefties, but he's hitting well over .300 against righties this season. Cintron has been better against lefties than righties as well. So what does Ozzie do this series? Iguchi plays against Santana, as tough of a lefty as you'll find. And then Cintron plays against the righty. And on top of that, he plays against a righty that he's 0/4 in his career against.

I usually don't beach about Ozzie's lineups, because I like his strategery of making sure everyone is rested. But I'm really getting sick of the flapping "lefty-righty" matchup with him and how it determines EVERY single decision he makes, regardless of what the numbers actually say.

I was at the game today and i have to say that i have never seen this team as flat as they looked today. They all, with the exception of JD who hit the bomb, looked like they were in slow motion and had absolutely no interest in winning. Ozzie i think needs to have one of his patented scream fests at the team and get them in gear and back to the way they were the first half of the season. After seeing how they looked and then looking at the league scoreboard and saw that Detroit took a 4-1 lead on the Tribe, I was really about the lose my mind. We need to fix this now, or we can kiss the playoffs goodbye.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
The Yankees just had no problem putting up a 4 spot in the 8th inning. 6 more outs, and we're behind in the Wild Card standings.

Francisco Cordero is just god awful, I don't know what the hell happened to the guy but he just can not get anyone out (outside of Sox) this season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 02:39 AM)
Francisco Cordero is just god awful, I don't know what the hell happened to the guy but he just can not get anyone out (outside of Sox) this season.

Yep, it's strange, but he's blown away our hitters this season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
How does everyone conclude McCarthy can only go a couple of innings? Didn't he make over 80 pitches in his one start? It wouldn't be long before he got that up to 100. I'd actually love to see Vazquez pulled after 80. Its like after midnight with him. Nothing good happens to Javier Vazquez after 80 pitches.

Right, even if McCarthy could only go 4-6 innings in his first 2-3 starts, Ozzie could set up Vazquez to piggy back him.

Ozzie is definately putting his personal relationship with his latin golfing buddy and latin relative before the good of the team. Horrible managing. Let's hire Tom Kelly.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
He's playing favorites with his Latin buddies? :bang

The conspiracy theories on this site are getting more and more humorous.

I'd like to ask, why is everyone so rock solid certain that Brandon would automatically be lights out as a starter, seeing as he's only been moderately successful in his bullpen role? And not the usual stock answer "well he's better than we have now", I would like to know how people on SoxTalk are able to ascertain with absolute certainty that he'd be better than what's in the rotation now. And no I am not happy with their current results, not one bit. Why is McCarthy the savior though? Sounds like the backup QB syndrome to me.

As for what you're so sick of hearing, well, that's the way it goes. There are lots of things I'm sick of hearing too.

No one can say for certain that Brandon McCarthy would be a better starting pitcher than Garcia or Vazquez this season, but it is certainly reasonable to give him a chance. You can't deny McCarthy's performance in the starting role down the stretch last season, and with the way declining play of the Sox, it'd be wise to give him a chance.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
The Yankees just had no problem putting up a 4 spot in the 8th inning. 6 more outs, and we're behind in the Wild Card standings.

Unlike our team, the Rangers can put hits together. Texas retakes the lead 7-6 going into the 9th...

Nevermind. 2 run bomb...yanks up 1 now....

Just our luck....

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
Unlike our team, the Rangers can put hits together. Texas retakes the lead 7-6 going into the 9th...

Nevermind. 2 run bomb...yanks up 1 now....

Just our luck....

Yankees win, they lead the wild card. Texas really f***ed themselves not getting a run with the bases loaded and nobody out in the 8th. And the Yankees will be even better by monday after they take on some salary dump without giving up anything.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:48 PM)
Special congratulations to Ozzie and the gang. Blowing a 6 game lead in the WC standings at the All-Star Break in less than 2 weeks is quite impressive.

Isn't this basically the worst case scenerio comming true? The final game of the Twins series coinciding with the Sox relinquishing the Wild Card lead?