Jurassic DFA

dmbjeff

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
This joke has gotten old fast, especially since its mentioned twice in just about every trade thread.

The joke is that we should trade for him like the 2 previous times. My point is that he is basically free this time. :)

Seattle Mariners designated Carl Everett for assignment today.

RESIST THE TEMPTATION KENNY!!!!

The Phillies traded C Sal Fasano to the Yankees for minor league 2B Hector Made. The Yankees designate C Kelly Stinnett for assignment to make room for Fasano.

Now I know there is some kind of love fest for Sandy Alomar, but the Sox have to trade Tyler Lumsden, a AA All-Star and Daniel Cortez, a young kid with good potential to get his 40-yr old butt.... Yet the Yankees only have to give up a Class A 2B hitting .286 with no power and only 6 SB to get at worst and equivalent player. Something makes no sense there.

Um actually the Sox dealt Lummy and Cortez for the Righty power arm of Mike MacDougal, they gave up B.J. LaMura for Alomar.

If the Sox gave up Lumsden and Cortez for Alomar, Kenny Williams would have had a hard time making it out of Chicago alive.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
I love Carl's passion for the game and I think he was a great asset for us last year but we have no spot for him except on the bench and the rare pinch hitting occasions.

The reason he was DFA'd is because the Mariners dealt a minor league OF to Cleveland for Ben Broussard.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
Um actually the Sox dealt Lummy and Cortez for the Righty power arm of Mike MacDougal, they gave up B.J. LaMura for Alomar.

If the Sox gave up Lumsden and Cortez for Alomar, Kenny Williams would have had a hard time making it out of Chicago alive.

details, details....... I guess my point, while not is strong remains, they had other options. I just would have liked to see Chicago native Fasano in a Sox uni.

details, details....... I guess my point, while not is strong remains, they had other options. I just would have liked to see Chicago native Fasano in a Sox uni.

Rex, they liked how Sandy Alomar works with their pitchers and the coaches asked for him.

Doesn't mean the coaches are right, but Fasano has no knowledge of working with the staff and has about as much mobility as Alomar these days ... not much.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 07:08 PM)
Rex, they liked how Sandy Alomar works with their pitchers and the coaches asked for him.

Doesn't mean the coaches are right, but Fasano has no knowledge of working with the staff and has about as much mobility as Alomar these days ... not much.

I hear ya, but I am just puzzled by the love for Alomar. I'm not trying to profess that Fasano is a big-time star, but his mobility is not a problem. Don't be fooled by his size. He handles himself very well behind the plate and handles pitchers very well. Pitchers like throwing to him. It certainly has not been his bat that has kept him in the big leagues.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 05:44 PM)
The reason he was DFA'd is because the Mariners dealt a minor league OF to Cleveland for Ben Broussard.

And as Roto mentioned, his option for next year was about to vest:

Mariners designated outfielder Carl Everett for assignment.

The decision to guarantee Everett $4 million in the offseason was an extremely bad one, but he still didn't figure to play quite so poorly. He hit .227/.297/.360 with just 33 RBI in 308 at-bats for the Mariners. Releasing him before his 2007 option could vest was a very good idea. The Mariners called up Chris Snelling to replace him for now, and it's believed that they're interested in acquiring Todd Walker to take over as their left-handed designated hitter. Jul. 26 - 2:42 pm et

From the World Series Championship roster Everett, Harris, Widger and Politte have now been DFA'd. Timo Perez was already sent to AAA. It's unlikely that Hermanson will see the majors again, and rumors have El Duque on thin ice in New York as soon as they can find an arm to replace him. The sum was indeed greater than the parts.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
I hear ya, but I am just puzzled by the love for Alomar. I'm not trying to profess that Fasano is a big-time star, but his mobility is not a problem. Don't be fooled by his size. He handles himself very well behind the plate and handles pitchers very well. Pitchers like throwing to him. It certainly has not been his bat that has kept him in the big leagues.

And he's my cousins cousin. I would of loved if he came to the Sox. I'd get some pretty good seats at the games!