Minnesota Twins Post Mortem Playoff Thread

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
I agree about the offense, but I think the pitching is better then you give them credit for. Why do you think Garza will be a disappointment? Granted, he's no Santana, but I think he can be a solid #3 pitcher. I like Bonser a lot, but he needs to stay healthy. Anything they get out of Liriano is a plus.

But it's Minnesota's bullpen that's awesome.

Bob

But in Minny's bullpen, there's some real candidates for regression next year as well. As the White Sox saw painfully this year, there's a ton of variation in bullpen performance for many pitchers from year to year.

Minny's bullpen got dynamite years from guys like Matt Guerrier, Jesse Crain, Pat Neshek, Dennys Reyes, and "Steroids" Rincon. Yes, Nathan will be good next year barring injury. But there's a high probability that at least one, if not several, of those guys will wind up taking steps backwards next year, because that is just how things go in bullpens.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
I agree about the offense, but I think the pitching is better then you give them credit for. Why do you think Garza will be a disappointment? Granted, he's no Santana, but I think he can be a solid #3 pitcher. I like Bonser a lot, but he needs to stay healthy. Anything they get out of Liriano is a plus.

But it's Minnesota's bullpen that's awesome.

Bob

I'm very unimpressed with Garza, I'll just leave it at that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
But in Minny's bullpen, there's some real candidates for regression next year as well. As the White Sox saw painfully this year, there's a ton of variation in bullpen performance for many pitchers from year to year.

Minny's bullpen got dynamite years from guys like Matt Guerrier, Jesse Crain, Pat Neshek, Dennys Reyes, and "Steroids" Rincon. Yes, Nathan will be good next year barring injury. But there's a high probability that at least one, if not several, of those guys will wind up taking steps backwards next year, because that is just how things go in bullpens.

I thought Crain has a mediocre year. But he did go 23 inning without a run late in the year. Rincon started solid, but really trailed off at the end of the year. Reyes will never have a year like he did last year, and Neshek I dont know about since he came in half way through the year. Lefties seemed to hurt Neshek more than righties, so maybe he is a ROOGY

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)

If there is regression, there is also progression.

A lot, if not all, of those guys will regress to some extent next year. However, they have up and coming arms in Perkins and Durbin who could make an impact for them next year, and there is Willie Eyre, who pitched absolutely horrible at the beginning of the year, but put up a very solid second half(3.99 ERA, 1.43 WHIP in 29.1 IP).

It's not a guarantee, but it's very possible.

You always have to assume that the Twins will be in it for the regular season.I doubt they are going to take any major steps backwards even if Soriano is hurt.But what sickens me is that they only focus on winning the regular season.They dont build their team for the playoffs.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
from what I gathered, the payroll is going to go up a little bit

plus Brad Radke and Shannon Stewart's contracts are coming off the books

so there is a little flexiblity

Gotcha. Still, 12 mill seems like an awful lot for Hunter considering the Twins are still going to have payroll restrictions even if they raise payroll a bit.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 10, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
Gotcha. Still, 12 mill seems like an awful lot for Hunter considering the Twins are still going to have payroll restrictions even if they raise payroll a bit.

Don't forget the new stadium they finally managed to talk the state out of. Now's not the time they want to appear too cheap, especially if there are a few fans who still like Hunter (Jim would know that better than me).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
Don't forget the new stadium they finally managed to talk the state out of. Now's not the time they want to appear too cheap, especially if there are a few fans who still like Hunter (Jim would know that better than me).

Hunter's the firey veteran who everyone still likes, even if his game has fallen off a little bit, but he's been overtaken both in the lineup and in status, because Mauer, Morneau, and even Cuddyer to some extent have become more dependable than Hunter, while Santana and Mauer are the faces of the franchise.

In other words, he's worth the $12 million to the Twins, even if it's just for this year.

yeah, there are a lot of fans that like him (all of my office, and my parents being among them) I just think 12 million is a lot of money for him.

But one thing I didnt know until today is that his old contract has a clause in it that his option had to be picked up within 5 days of the end of the season. So Terry Ryan picked up the option to be on the safe side.

Personally, I think he will be traded by the time spring training comes along. The fake grass at the CrappyDome and his recent foot/ankle problem has really played havoc on his defensive range. But there is no one in the organization to replace him.