Minnesota Twins Post Mortem Playoff Thread

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
94-98 MPH fastball. Making a lot of mistakes up in the zone, changeup is medicore but he keeps throwing it. Good curve and slider, though.

My post was more of a subtle insult directed towards our pitching prospects.

But since Garza was practically destroyed ( 2.2IP, 8H, 7ER, 2 BB, 2 SO, 2 HR), I can't complain. It honestly shocks me to read his line. He must have been nervous as hell on the mound.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)

But since Garza was practically destroyed ( 2.2IP, 8H, 7ER, 2 BB, 2 SO, 2 HR), I can't complain. It honestly shocks me to read his line. He must have been nervous as hell on the mound.

He was trying to strike everyone out, and he kept elevating all of his offspeed pitches. He has good stuff, but it might take him another start or two to hone everything in.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)

Or maybe it takes more than great stuff to get people out. Nah, that can't be it, our scouts are clueless.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 11:47 PM)
It was his debut. He'll come around. Not sure what our scout have to do with his line... :huh

You can throw out the results of a pitchers first couple starts (whether good or bad). The only thing to watch for when a rookie comes up is the type of "stuff" he has, imo.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
good news for you guys, Carlos Silva is gettting rocked by the Orioles

4-1 O's bottom of 4

make it 5-1 now

Nick Markakis is 3-3 with 3 HR. wow.

Markakis had a really slow start to the season, but he's kicked some serious butt since than.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
Silva just tied a Twins record by giving up 5 HR in a game. Bert Blyeven (shock!) also gave up 5 for the Twins

I think it might have been against the Sox in something like 1984 or 1985 right? Didn't he give up the record of 50 homers in one year? All I remember is that the Sox middle of the order used to kick his ass like nobodies business, especially Ron Kittle.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
Markakis had a really slow start to the season, but he's kicked some serious butt since than.

Him and Brian Anderson have been very similar this season (well not in thier numbers but in when they've hit better).

It just shows the kind of patience you need to have with rookie hitters if they don't succeed immediately at the major league level.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 07:59 AM)
I think it might have been against the Sox in something like 1984 or 1985 right? Didn't he give up the record of 50 homers in one year? All I remember is that the Sox middle of the order used to kick his ass like nobodies business, especially Ron Kittle.

Bert's record is 50 HR in 1986 (either the year before or after he gave up something like 48 or 49)

He is the Twins TV color guy, and he was talking about his 5 HR game (also in 86), he said he pitched a complete game and got the win.

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Bert's record is 50 HR in 1986 (either the year before or after he gave up something like 48 or 49)

He is the Twins TV color guy, and he was talking about his 5 HR game (also in 86), he said he pitched a complete game and got the win.

Bert's a hell of a color guy. A bit on the eccentric side, but he's Dutch, so what do you expect?

I remember him saying something like 40-42 of the homers he gave up that year were solo shots, and that he really had a pretty good year, other than giving up 50 homers. I'd say I have to agree with him. 17-14, 4.01, 1.18 WHIP with a solid K/9 and K/BB...he just got terrorized with the home run. He also had 16 complete games that year. That just seems friggin crazy by today's standards.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
Him and Brian Anderson have been very similar this season (well not in thier numbers but in when they've hit better).

It just shows the kind of patience you need to have with rookie hitters if they don't succeed immediately at the major league level.

lol Markakis has shown a lot more than Brian Anderson has though... he didnt start off as bad to begin with and after adjusting has hit even better than Anderson has with his. In the future I think Markakis will be a higher avg. hitter but I think Anderson has a lot of power potential.