Ben Broussard to the M's

Benchwarmerjim

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
Which essentially means VMart's days as a catcher are numbered/over.

They can either go two ways with this. Promote Ryan Garko to take over at 1st base, or let Kelly Shoppach be the everyday C and let Martinez start at 1B.

I think they're going to go for the former, but the latter sounds like a better idea to me, providing that Shoppach could actually hit well enough to be an everyday catcher.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 05:39 PM)
They can either go two ways with this. Promote Ryan Garko to take over at 1st base, or let Kelly Shoppach be the everyday C and let Martinez start at 1B.

I think they're going to go for the former, but the latter sounds like a better idea to me, providing that Shoppach could actually hit well enough to be an everyday catcher.

I just checked, and Garko's only hitting about .250 in AAA this year, with an OPS of .774. He may be on his way in the upwards direction, but just based on the full season numbers I'm not so sure he's earned a promotion. He hit .303 with an .882 OPS at AAA last year.