Should McCarthy get some spot starts?

jackie hayes

Brandon in the rotation?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should Brandon McCarthy start getting spot starts now?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know, I just like to vote

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)
No McCarthy should not get some spot starts, he should be in the rotation permanently.

I'm picking up what you're throwing down.

:headbang

Brandon should not "Spot start". Spot starting would hurt whatever rhythm he has developed in the bullpen, it would hurt the bullpen because it would take him a few starts to be able to go beyond 4-5 innings, and it could hurt by throwing off any rhythm that any other starting pitchers might find.

If Brandon goes into the rotation, he DOES NOT leave it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
Brandon should not "Spot start". Spot starting would hurt whatever rhythm he has developed in the bullpen, it would hurt the bullpen because it would take him a few starts to be able to go beyond 4-5 innings, and it could hurt by throwing off any rhythm that any other starting pitchers might find.

Wouldn't piggy backing Vazquez on McCarthy's first 2-3 starts be a good solution to this problem?

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
Wouldn't piggy backing Vazquez on McCarthy's first 2-3 starts be a good solution to this problem?

So what happens the next time Mark Buehrle gives up 8 runs in the first inning and has to be pulled?

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
Why not, at this point could he be much worse that buehrle or javy are?

that's not the point. no one thinks hes gonna get blasted but he has to build his stamina back up and that takes more than one "spot start". I agree, if hes going to be put in the rotation it needs to be for good. Changes need to be made to spark the players and the club.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:37 AM)
I am of the mind that Buehrle should have a short stint on the 15 day DL to clear his head and rest his arm and let BMac start for him.

this is the first time i can think of in the last 5 years that i have truly lost confidence in buehrle. i hate to say it but i bet he feels the same way. even when he started a couple seasons ago like 2-9 i still couldnt wait for his next start. he claims his arm feels fine but maybe a stint on the dl is what he needs to get himself mentally back to shape.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
So what happens the next time Mark Buehrle gives up 8 runs in the first inning and has to be pulled?

In your worst case scenario of a starter only lasting one inning, the Sox concede one game. I think there would be more than a one-win difference between Vazquez's and McCarthy's starts over the final two months of the season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 04:39 AM)
Could you DFA someone like Gload, and put B-Mac into a 6 man rotation and acquire another reliever like Roberto Hernandez perhaps?

Why does everyone like these Pirate relievers? Our bullpen is perfectly fine the way it is now, and if we need another reliever, Tracey's the guy -- he can throw all nine innings (if necessary, which it'll probably become if they don't DL Buehrle).

Then again, maybe we can help the Pirates out and flip 'em Lance Broadway and Ray Liotta. Can't have enough 'veteran presence', ehh? :rolleye

I'll just repost my thoughts w/r/t McCarthy from SSS:

Put McCarthy into the rotation, going to a six-man rotation. Cut Gload, and call up Tracey as the longman who will piggyback McCarthy until he can build up his arm strength.

I was weary of the idea of putting McCarthy in the bullpen at the beginning of the year. I was told that it was a good move because if anyone was ineffective or hurt, McCarthy could be plugged in.

Well, right now we have two starters who I have confidence in, and three wildcards. Start stretching McCarthy out. If it fails, so what? At least we won't be left thinking "what if?" in October, when we're out and both Minny and Detroit are in.

[/snip]

I also think that if somehow, someway, this team got itself into a position to make the playoffs, you can have three solid starters. Contreras, Garland, and then your idea of a piggyback with Vazquez and Garcia. Will Buehrle turn into his usual self? I dunno... Maybe DIPS is taking back all the supposed "luck" Mark has been pitching with the past couple seasons.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)

Last year in a "spot start" I believe he handled the sawx in Fenway pretty well, this can work...or i'd be satisified with Javy goin 5 and BMac starting the 6th

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
Last year in a "spot start" I believe he handled the sawx in Fenway pretty well, this can work...or i'd be satisified with Javy goin 5 and BMac starting the 6th

Except last year Bmac hadn't been pitching out of the bullpen the entire season. They can't keep dicking this guy around. Either he's in the rotation, or he's not.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)

he was never in the bullpen last year so he could handle a start long enough to be effective. If he were to spot startnow he'd be good till he got tired then get shelled. whats the point in that?

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
he was never in the bullpen last year so he could handle a start long enough to be effective. If he were to spot startnow he'd be good till he got tired then get shelled. whats the point in that?

Since the man BMac would most likely be replacing in the rotation, Javier Vazquez, is a five-inning pitcher, BMac wouldn't have to be stretched out much to be a better option.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
Since the man BMac would most likely be replacing in the rotation, Javier Vazquez, is a five-inning pitcher, BMac wouldn't have to be stretched out much to be a better option.

Well Vazquez is one hell of a five inning pitcher, if only he would just be done after his five shutout innings.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 09:44 PM)
Our SP looks dead. A start skipped for most of them would be a very welcomed idea.

Mark Buehrle to the DISABLED LIST effective IMMEDIATELY. We can pull a northside maneuver and say he strained his ankle or something, but gets him time off to clear his head and heal whatever is ailing him.

Keeping MB in the rotation right now guarantees a LOSS, and another game back in the standings.

If we want to hit 13 games back, Let Buehrle make the next 5 starts. If we want to stay in this, DL him

now, insert McCarthy and revisit this in 2 weeks. If we won those 5 games where Buehrle pitched,

guess what? Were only 3 games out and the Tigers would be Sweating Bullets.

my thought is that KW and Ozzie should put Buehrle on the DL, just to give him some time off. Let Brandon fill in his spot. Tell Mark to just hang out and relax. take a small vacation with the family and rest. When he comes back, do the same for vazquez.

In my opinion the time off can't hurt either pitcher right now. They are struggling and something is wrong. Everyone is screaming for Brandon and despite whatever Kenny does, unless it involves moving McCarthy into the rotation, he will be criticized. Let's just see what Brandon can do.

All of these games mean something now, so it should be like a playoff type atmosphere from here on in.

Did BMac pitch well yesterday? I only saw him give up the single

and Hawk ripping him for throwing a change on the first pitch.

Is he a victim of our soft toss disease this season or is his fastball

popping?

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:59 AM)
Well Vazquez is one hell of a five inning pitcher, if only he would just be done after his five shutout innings.

And after 2-3 starts stretching out his arm, McCarthy would likely be the better option in the final two months of the regular season and certainly in the playoffs.

I do not want Vazquez starting for us in the playoffs. With runners on base, he's the antithesis of El Duque.