Sox SP Turnaround?

iguchi=dank

Listen I've been tryin Real hard to just let a long baseball season take its long winding road and not be negetive.. much. However right now its time to take a breath and look inside and say what you feel. Its obvious to everyone we have a great offense and a good bullpen (talent wise, when used correctly). Its also obvios we have 3 starting pitchers who plain aren't good right now, but have proven themselves at times in their careers. Also only Count gives you a GOOD feeling going into a game.

Now so far we are still at least tied for the wild card and should prolly forget about Det. for a while and focus on winning games, but for that to happen our SP must get better (honestly it seems our SP is bringing down the offense in terms of their confidence). So the question is, regardless of trades and demotions and whatever else kenny does, What is your gut saying? Do you think our SP is gonna turn it around these last 60 so games or do you think its gonna be a game by game stomach ulcer to see if we get the wild card.

My gut has been thinking its gonna turnaround but that was like 2 weeks ago. However I'm gonna be the deer in the headlights and freeze, not run. Which means I'm stayin the course and think these guys are gonna turn the corner and find their stuff even though i'm prolly gonna get run over by the car. What's your thoughts?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't believe that every pitcher on our starting staff except for Jose Contreras could put up numbers THIS MUCH worse than their career numbers (And Contreras is still down from where he was at the end of last year/beginning of this year too).

At some point, the numbers say these people have to turn it around.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
I still can't believe that every pitcher on our starting staff except for Jose Contreras could put up numbers THIS MUCH worse than their career numbers (And Contreras is still down from where he was at the end of last year/beginning of this year too).

At some point, the numbers say these people have to turn it around.

i wish career numbers meant anything right now

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:08 AM)
When we were slumping last year...did we think our pitchers would be capable of doing what they did in the ALCS is what i'm saying

we never lost the lead in the division last year. that wasnt so much the sox slumping as the indians playing unbelieveable.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)
When we were slumping last year...did we think our pitchers would be capable of doing what they did in the ALCS is what i'm saying

Dude, have you seen Mark Buehrle lately? He makes me want to cry. It tears me up to see one of my all-time favorite players struggling like he is. Freddy is not the same pitcher he was a year ago. We know the deal with Javy. I guess what I'm saying is that our pitching is nowhere near as good as it was last year -- even when we were sliding. Oh, yeah, what happened in the ALCS last year was EXTREMELY rare.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)

this is not a slump. it's a total and complete collapse. and never compare any year to last year. we had a double digit lead when we had our problems and STILL almost lost it. now we have no lead and there is NO SIGN that any turnaround is coming.

gimmie white flag pt 3 and get some young HUNGRY all around players in here

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
we never lost the lead in the division last year. that wasnt so much the sox slumping as the indians playing unbelieveable.

True, but you dont lose a 15 game lead playing great ball

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
Dude, have you seen Mark Buehrle lately? He makes me want to cry. It tears me up to see one of my all-time favorite players struggling like he is. Freddy is not the same pitcher he was a year ago. We know the deal with Javy. I guess what I'm saying is that our pitching is nowhere near as good as it was last year -- even when we were sliding. Oh, yeah, what happened in the ALCS last year was EXTREMELY rare.

Unforunately, i've seen Mark lately, and yes Freddy isn't the same pitcher...and yea what happened the ALCS was extremely rare, I guess my thought is that it can't get much worse than it already is, and if it does..... :drink

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
this is not a slump. it's a total and complete collapse. and never compare any year to last year. we had a double digit lead when we had our problems and STILL almost lost it. now we have no lead and there is NO SIGN that any turnaround is coming.

White Flag? Maybe if the WC didn't exist.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)

A white flag trade is not what we need

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
White Flag? Maybe if the WC didn't exist.

we're going to be overtaken by toronto pretty soon. it's over. there is not one actual thing on this team you can point to saying we will play anywhere near our first half production. if we don't get that production, we will not make the playoffs. this team has gotten lazy and rested on their accomplishments, mostly the pitching. without jim thome, we are in cleveland indian territory right now.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
True, but you dont lose a 15 game lead playing great ball

Unforunately, i've seen Mark lately, and yes Freddy isn't the same pitcher...and yea what happened the ALCS was extremely rare, I guess my thought is that it can't get much worse than it already is, and if it does..... :drink

Oh, it can get much, much worse. If we miss the playoffs, I'll chalk it up as one of the biggest all-time chokes ever. On paper, this team is sick. Kenny went out and significantly upgraded a roster just coming off a championship. Outside of Jose landing on the DL for 15 days (2 starts), this team hasn't had a single major injury. They haven't even had a minor one. So we can't even begin to play the injury card. A team with this level of talent should be performing at a MUCH, MUCH higher level than they are.

QUOTE(Harry&JimmyRocked @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)
we're going to be overtaken by toronto pretty soon. it's over. there is not one actual thing on this team you can point to saying we will play anywhere near our first half production. if we don't get that production, we will not make the playoffs. this team has gotten lazy and rested on their accomplishments, mostly the pitching. without jim thome, we are in cleveland indian territory right now.

Wow, so I guess you're not gonna watch a single game the rest of the year? I mean since the season is officially over on July 26th?

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:22 AM)
Oh, it can get much, much worse. If we miss the playoffs, I'll chalk it up as one of the biggest all-time chokes ever. On paper, this team is sick. Kenny went out and significantly upgraded a roster just coming off a championship. Outside of Jose landing on the DL for 15 days (2 starts), this team hasn't had a single major injury. They haven't even had a minor one. So we can't even begin to play the injury card. A team with this level of talent should be performing at a MUCH, MUCH higher level than they are.

i know what it is. TOO MUCH FAN SUPPORT BY SELLING OUT THE CELL

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)

For us to have a chance we have to win 37 while losing just 25. 96 victories might see us to a wild card. You can't blame it on one person. Dye, Thome, and Crede are having career highs. Our bullpen, starting pitching and game plans aren't working. How many times last year did a ball take a funny hop and we capitalized on it. This year our opponents our taking advantage of our weaknesses and everybody is trying to gun down the champs. Welcome to the real world like it is in the East where Boston and the Yankees find ways of winning despite the fact that the lead changes so many times because of the intense competition.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:38 AM)
For us to have a chance we have to win 37 while losing just 25. 96 victories might see us to a wild card. You can't blame it on one person. Dye, Thome, and Crede are having career highs. Our bullpen, starting pitching and game plans aren't working. How many times last year did a ball take a funny hop and we capitalized on it. This year our opponents our taking advantage of our weaknesses and everybody is trying to gun down the champs. Welcome to the real world like it is in the East where Boston and the Yankees find ways of winning despite the fact that the lead changes so many times because of the intense competition.

Blame it on one person? Not even close. This has been a team collapse. I've never seen a defending champion embarrased and outclassed like they have for these last 5 series. It makes me sick to my stomach right now thinking about it. Then again, I just ate 3 chili dogs with heavy, heavy onions.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)
Blame it on one person? Not even close. This has been a team collapse. I've never seen a defending champion embarrased and outclassed like they have for these last 5 series. It makes me sick to my stomach right now thinking about it. Then again, I just ate 3 chili dogs with heavy, heavy onions.
when they were winning nothing bothered us.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
when they were winning nothing bothered us.

WRONG! when they were winning some such as myself pointed out that there are major flaws on this team. of course we were shouted down with "LOOK AT THEIR RECORD" it was obvious from day one that our pitching sucked as a whole. now the team is paying for it. this is worse than last years collapse and guess what...there is no division clinching game to take the pressure off. let's see how this organization responds from top to bottom with adversity.

Harry you ever heard of a slump?

The Sox are in one.

The reason this is totally magnified is Det and Minnie are playing

like world champions. They win almost every night out.

We're in a major slump. We are not done.

The pitching is a big big concern. I didn't even like the way

McCarthy threw today. That soft spiff is a concern of all our pitchers.

I still don't think we're done.

Not with the fishing wild card.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 02:20 AM)
Harry you ever heard of a slump?

The Sox are in one.

The reason this is totally magnified is Det and Minnie are playing

like world champions. They win almost every night out.

We're in a major slump. We are not done.

The pitching is a big big concern. I didn't even like the way

McCarthy threw today. That soft spiff is a concern of all our pitchers.

I still don't think we're done.

Not with the fishing wild card.

this is a collapse. not a slump. why do you think we will win the wildcard? someone gimmie some facts and not just "because" or "i hope so"