ST Poll: How will the White Sox finish the season?

aboz56

I still have faith we'll get the wild card, but it's not going to be easy, but that doesn't mean we should all start walking the plank and give up on this team.

Just look at Minnesota and how quickly this game can change. The start of the season the way they played, they probably would have been happy to just get to .500, and now they're are probably favorites for the Wild Card.

Hopefully our players have learnt in the last 2 weeks that you can't take anything for granted in this game, and you need to go out there and perform every single day.

I don't think we are catching Detroit, so Its basically a three team race for the wild card: us, Twins, Yankees. We are better than the Yankees, their pitching is still worse than us. But, I would pick the Twins ahead of us pending the trade deadline outcome. Right now, the Twins bullpen is dynamite with more on the way in the minors. Plus, Liriano and Santana is just too dominant. I would say solely because of the pitching Twins, Sox, Yanks.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
I'm real worried now that the Twins have pulled even.

Why?

Garcia.

Vazquez.

If we could switch Vazquez and McCarthy, then trade for Zito and get rid of Freddy, I'd be so much happier.

As it stands, I'd just be happy by switching Brandon and Javier.

The only way bmac starts this year is either when we are out of contention alltogether, someone admits that they are hurt, or KW trades on the SP. ozzie will run these guys out no matter how many runs they give up. Forever.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
The only way bmac starts this year is either when we are out of contention alltogether, someone admits that they are hurt, or KW trades on the SP. ozzie will run these guys out no matter how many runs they give up. Forever.

Oh, I know that we likely won't be sniffing Barry Zito, and Guillen's going to stick with his golfing buddy and the flamethrower, I'm just saying that the solution (Mac-Vazquez switch) is right there, and so obvious.

I will be surprised if the Tigers and Twins keep up this pace. The Tigers have a tough stretch in August/ early September and I think the Sox will rebound to make this a tight Division race in September.

Also, there is still a lot of head to head play left.

Sox games left vs Det 10, vs Min 9 (19)

Twins games left vs Sox 9, vs Det 10 (19)

Tigers games left vs Sox 10, vs Min 10 (20)

Edited by RME JICO

"We just have to regroup," Paul Konerko said. "We're judging ourselves off what has happened in the last two weeks, and if you do that, you might want to jump off a building."

"Don't worry; they'll be there," Gardenhire assured—or warned—everybody keeping an eye on what has been happening to the Sox. "At the end of the year, those guys will have great numbers. We know where they're at. Trust me, they'll be there."

we will be back...

:headbang

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
Oh, I know that we likely won't be sniffing Barry Zito, and Guillen's going to stick with his golfing buddy and the flamethrower, I'm just saying that the solution (Mac-Vazquez switch) is right there, and so obvious.

That's not really a solution. One, Bmac is not ready to start. I don't know how many times it has to be said. Two, we've got more than one guy struggling right now. Three, if you do switch Bmac and Javy around (something I don't think will happen), you create a hole in your bullpen. Unless you actually believe Javy would flourish in the bullpen.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
I will be surprised if the Tigers and Twins keep up this pace. The Tigers have a tough stretch in August/ early September and I think the Sox will rebound to make this a tight Division race in September.

I heard this in May. I heard it in June. I heard it in July. Face facts, will ya. The Tigers havent only kept the pace, theyve gotten hotter. While everyone has heard about the Twins amazing 34-9 run, whats overlooked is that Detroit over that time frame is 32-11.

Now theyve beaten the pitcher most people thought was unbeatable. I heard all week how Miner vs. Liriano was unwinnable for Detroit. Chicago fans fear him and Santana. Well Detroit beat Santana 2-0 and beat Liriano 3-2, with 9 of his 25 earned runs this season coming against Detroit.

Give a good baseball team its due.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)

there is 60 game left to play including games with the yankee and BoSox. The key words are "left to play" The sox are notoriously bad facing Santana and new pitchers, they don't have to be phenoms as in Liriano. this is the worst part of the season for teams they usually play a lot of games in a row I believe the sox will play 20, 16 and 13 game stretches without a day off. We're bulilt for th elong haul, deeper than any other team at each position. And if the sox starters and bullpen play to what they're capable, hitters stop going for the bonb and we do the tighten up on defense. I do think with the way the sox played early on this season we can go 35 and 25 the rest of the season. That's 96 victories that would be ta good number to win the wild card . I believe the statistic when Cleveland was coming too close that no team that has one 95 or more victories has not made the playoffs. :gosox1:

Edited by forrestg

I agree it's Detroit's year; they are too good (this year).

We will be unable to catch them.

They've simply won too many games already. They may cool off

but for them it will be 5-5 over a 10 game span.

Good luck to them in the playoffs however. I predict Det. will lose

first round.

As far as the Sox ... nothing really would surprise me. I have a feeling

our starting pitching is not going to come around this year.

And I am not convinved Bmac is the solution, not this year.

It's probably going to be a wasted year in his development. He probably

should have stayed in the minors this year; maybe he woulda if

Dustin was healthy.

If I had to predict I'd say our experience is a plus, but pre trade deadline

I don't like our chances to get the wild card.

I will say we will not get the wild card and when the season is over

we all will be pretty disappointed unless our pitchers surprise the spiff

out of me.