All-Star Break Collapse: Theories?

LVSoxFan

Granted, if I'm not mistaken we had lost a series going in to the ASB but holy sheeeet, did you see the Sun-Times today and how everybody's numbers went over a cliff after the ASB?

What I'm looking for--and admit I might never find--is rationale. I'm soliciting theories both realistic and more out there, because again: the ASB seemed to have triggered something in the Sox that we haven't recovered from since.

Buehrle was fine if not overpowing until that first game (EDIT) with the Cubs before the ASB he gets rocked like I've never seen before, ever. Yeah, there was that 7-run game at Minny but most of them were unearned, and he recovered and actually won that (ESPN) game.

The bats that were racking up 20 against St. Louis went cold. Our bullpen became iffy. AJ now looks tired. Pods seems like a shell of himself. And Paulie, save for the dinger here and there, doesn't seem so .300 anymore (although his fielding has been good).

Errors? Uribe, usually a rock, has made a few.

Back to that ASB, back to that ASB. What is it about that break? Perhaps the team was tired and running on adrenaline going in, and that four days off (or whatever) physically brought them down to how tired they really are?

I realize this is all speculation but what the hell: we have the day off (thank God).

What say you, Soxtalk?

Edited by LVSoxFan

The Sox looked like crap as far back as the Cubs series at Wrigley, that was the end of June and they didn't look all that hot in the Orioles series that followed of which they won 3 of 4.

So seeing how IMO this team started to slip around 11-12 games before the All-Star break, I highly doubt that 4 days off had much of anything to do with their new found suckiness.

To me, it started during the Houston Series at home.

The Sunday nite game was BRUTAL. absolutely Brutal. We looked terrible, and managed to come back, but COULDNT win the game and finish the job. That was the start. Pittsburgh series, to tell you the truth we didnt look good either, and couldnt get runners around the bases. The Cub series? THATS where the SOX were Exposed in my opinion........ The SOX picked up a lot of bad habits playing against a Garbage Team in a Garbage Stadium.

Sox gave up a ton of hits that series, left tons of guys, played awful outfield defense, brutal situational hitting, it was UGLY UGLY UGLY. When Buehrle got shelled, I think that was the exclamation point ........... I said to someone leaving the stadium ...... "this loss is going to hurt us more than you think"

Edited by Hangar18

Sorry I got the timeline wrong with Buehrle's Cubs game and yes, we started to falter heading into the ASB but let me put it another way: heading in to the break, I thought: good, just what we need (since we were sliding), a rest.

A lotta good that did us.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
Granted, if I'm not mistaken we had lost a series going in to the ASB but holy sheeeet, did you see the Sun-Times today and how everybody's numbers went over a cliff after the ASB?

What I'm looking for--and admit I might never find--is rationale. I'm soliciting theories both realistic and more out there, because again: the ASB seemed to have triggered something in the Sox that we haven't recovered from since.

Buehrle was fine if not overpowing until that first game (EDIT) with the Cubs before the ASB he gets rocked like I've never seen before, ever. Yeah, there was that 7-run game at Minny but most of them were unearned, and he recovered and actually won that (ESPN) game.

The bats that were racking up 20 against St. Louis went cold. Our bullpen became iffy. AJ now looks tired. Pods seems like a shell of himself. And Paulie, save for the dinger here and there, doesn't seem so .300 anymore (although his fielding has been good).

Errors? Uribe, usually a rock, has made a few.

Back to that ASB, back to that ASB. What is it about that break? Perhaps the team was tired and running on adrenaline going in, and that four days off (or whatever) physically brought them down to how tired they really are?

I realize this is all speculation but what the hell: we have the day off (thank God).

What say you, Soxtalk?

This funk started before the All Star Break (even before that Red Sox series). It really started way back in Pittsburgh at the end of June. Sure, they were still winning games, but they were winning games against bad teams (a la Detroit). Now, you put a good team out there against a struggling Sox team, and you're in trouble.

QUOTE(champ @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
This funk started before the All Star Break (even before that Red Sox series). It really started way back in Pittsburgh at the end of June. Sure, they were still winning games, but they were winning games against bad teams (a la Detroit). Now, you put a good team out there against a struggling Sox team, and you're in trouble.

I can't think of a single AL team that we've "owned" this year.

I also think it happened before the ASB, but it was exposed more vs the caliber of teams the Sox played, BOS, NYY more recently.

Regardless when it actually started, it is a good time for it to stop, and have the team put together a string of wins to get some confidence back.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
I can't think of a single AL team that we've "owned" this year.

Detroit (still should have won that series despite struggles), Oakland, LAA...

If you think that this is the team (the way they're playing right now), feel free to jump off the bandwagon. Regardless of their record in the last 15 games, I still believe this is, by far, the best overall team in the majors. And I believed that before Kenny improved the bullpen...now that the bullpen is improved, I seriously don't think (if they're not struggling), that any team can beat them in a playoff series.

Edited by champ

QUOTE(champ @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
Detroit (still should have won that series despite struggles), Oakland, LAA...

If you think that this is the team (the way they're playing right now), feel free to jump off the bandwagon. Regardless of their record in the last 15 games, I still believe this is, by far, the best overall team in the majors. And I believed that before Kenny improved the bullpen...now that the bullpen is improved, I seriously don't think (if they're not struggling), that any team can beat them in a playoff series.

You realize that we need to start more than 2 guys in the playoffs right.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
The Sox looked like crap as far back as the Cubs series at Wrigley, that was the end of June and they didn't look all that hot in the Orioles series that followed of which they won 3 of 4.

So seeing how IMO this team started to slip around 11-12 games before the All-Star break, I highly doubt that 4 days off had much of anything to do with their new found suckiness.

They looked bad in the Pittsburg series too, IMO. I remember saying that I was worried with the way they were playing and that they should have taken at least 5 of 6 from two of the worst teams in baseball.

Edited by StrangeSox