15 out Vasquez

DrunkBomber

Im sure there have been discussions about this a few times but is it too insane to pull Javier out after the fifth inning no matter what and maybe handing it over to BMac whenever he starts. His past few starts you can set your watch to his 6th inning melt down. We normally have 1-0 or 2-0 leads and then are down three runs. Do something to mix it up at least.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
Im sure there have been discussions about this a few times but is it too insane to pull Javier out after the fifth inning no matter what and maybe handing it over to BMac whenever he starts. His past few starts you can set your watch to his 6th inning melt down. We normally have 1-0 or 2-0 leads and then are down three runs. Do something to mix it up at least.

Vazquez has actually not pitched that well early in the game. He pitches better from pitch 31-75.

Vazquez by pitch

Pitch 1-15 5.19 ERA

Pitch 16-30 5.94 ERA

Pitch 31-45 1.83 ERA

Pitch 46-60 1.65 ERA

Pitch 61-75 3.50 ERA

Pitch 76-90 9.92 ERA

Pitch 91-105 10.13 ERA

The issue with him is when runners are on base.

Bases Empty - 2.94 ERA

Runners On - 8.04 ERA

RISP - 12.56 ERA

RISP w/2outs - 24.98 ERA

Bases Loaded - 12.27 ERA

I don't know how you fix that, but those numbers are horrible.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
Vazquez has actually not pitched that well early in the game. He pitches better from pitch 31-75.

Vazquez by pitch

Pitch 1-15 5.19 ERA

Pitch 16-30 5.94 ERA

Pitch 31-45 1.83 ERA

Pitch 46-60 1.65 ERA

Pitch 61-75 3.50 ERA

Pitch 76-90 9.92 ERA

Pitch 91-105 10.13 ERA

Bases Empty - 2.94 ERA

Runners On - 8.04 ERA

RISP - 12.56 ERA

RISP w/2outs - 24.98 ERA

Bases Loaded - 12.27 ERA

Brain transplant.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)

Bases Empty - 2.94 ERA

Runners On - 8.04 ERA

RISP - 12.56 ERA

RISP w/2outs - 24.98 ERA

Bases Loaded - 12.27 ERA

All pitchers will obviously have higher ERAs with runners on base. The sample sizes decrease in each of those categories and the opportunity for the opponent to score becomes far greater. It doesn't help us isolate the problem very much. Take Contreras ERAs in those same situations and it doesn't look much better, even though he's our best pitcher this year.

We simply need two pitchers to be able to play well down the stretch. Im not saying the others can all suck but having two guys winning the majority of their games down the stretch will be a huge boost. Weve only been able to have one pitcher play well at a time, it seems to be Garland now, if Mark or Freddy can regain form and Jon produces well it might all come together.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
All pitchers will obviously have higher ERAs with runners on base. The sample sizes decrease in each of those categories and the opportunity for the opponent to score becomes far greater. It doesn't help us isolate the problem very much. Take Contreras ERAs in those same situations and it doesn't look much better, even though he's our best pitcher this year.

I agree, but 8.04 with just runners on compared to 5.57 is a pretty big difference, and it shows the pitchers ability to get out of a jam. The other starters are not doing that much better either.

The best thing for the Sox pitchers to do is not allow any baserunners. /green

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)

Vazquez by pitch

Pitch 1-15 5.19 ERA

Pitch 16-30 5.94 ERA

Pitch 31-45 1.83 ERA

Pitch 46-60 1.65 ERA

Pitch 61-75 3.50 ERA

Pitch 76-90 9.92 ERA

Pitch 91-105 10.13 ERA

Bases Empty - 2.94 ERA

Runners On - 8.04 ERA

RISP - 12.56 ERA

RISP w/2outs - 24.98 ERA

Bases Loaded - 12.27 ERA

HeyRME great breakdown. Where do you get stats like that?

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
HeyRME great breakdown. Where do you get stats like that?

Those I got from Yahoo Sports. Each player link has Split Stats and Situational Stats. Those were under Situational Stats. Here is the link to Vazquez:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5947/situational

There is another site that breaks it down by inning, but I forgot which one shows that. MLB.com has some detailed situational stats too, you just have to click thru them:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...&splitSet=2

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
More bullspiff stats. -- And I'm not saying that Vazquez doesn't struggle with men on base -- It's just... How the heck do you calculate ERA given base situations? It doesn't make any sense.

exactly what i was trying to say...2 out ERA is especially inflated because of the limited number of 2 out opportunities so 1 run given up in a 1/3 IP situation automatically sets you up for a 27.00 ERA

I wasnt even basing it on stats when I started the thread. Im just going by what Ive seen. Hes blown the lead in the 6th inning the last two starts I watched. Whats worse is even Hawk and DJ both times made reference to the fact that they needed to watch out if runners got on base in the sixth because Javier self distructs. If it is that obvious something needs to be done. Switch him and BMac and let him do extended relief.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
Vazquez just isn't that good.

It's no secret he's bounced around the league lately and there's a reason for it.

He's a mental midget.

Well if he pitches great in this next start through 5, and Ozzzie and Coop let him go into the 6th and he gets rocked on cue, then I will have another couple of mental midgets for your list. And Coop is still going back and forth about letting him go into the 6th because of how it helped Garland when he was a 5 inning pitcher.

Edited by southsideirish71

You don't take him out after the 5th, you just don't let him give up runs in the 6th. Ozzie needs to take control of the game when its 6th inning or later and Javy lets men on. It's just time to take him out late in the game with runners on. He proves day in and day out that he can't work out of jams later on in outings.

On the TV right now

Pitch 1-30 5.55 ERA

Pitch 31-45 1.83

Pitch 46-60 1.65 ERA

pitch 61.-75 3.50 ERA

76 on 10.12 ERA

Can someone make about 1000 copies of this and Tee Pee Ozzies house. Because he and Coop are the only ones completely unaware of how obvious this is.