I AM SPANIARD

Soxplosion

So you were a soldier, not some desk jockey? Thats very cool. Did you ever see combat? Not any major wars from that time period. Air Comm Chief, that enlisted? What was your final rank?

OK, thats enough questions, Ill shut up now... :D

A Marine, not a soldier. A soldier is in the Army. The Drill Instructors you get assigned to you will make sure you know the difference.

I got promoted to Seargent on the USS Boxer enroute to Thiland, right after my 4 year contract expired and I extended it another year and a half to go on another cruise to the Pacific. Went to Hong Kong twice, Korea, Austrailia, Hawaii, Thailand, Singapore, Bali (Indonesia) and the Middle East.

No combat but wanted to see some since we almost turned the ship around on our way home when Saddam was starting s*** again in 97. If my contract got extended involuntary, I would have made double what I was making with my pay plus hazardous and jump pay and had a LOT of money saved for the future.

So you were a soldier, not some desk jockey? Thats very cool. Did you ever see combat? Not any major wars from that time period. Air Comm Chief, that enlisted? What was your final rank?

OK, thats enough questions, Ill shut up now... :D

A Marine, not a soldier. A soldier is in the Army. The Drill Instructors you get assigned to you will make sure you know the difference.

I got promoted to Seargent on the USS Boxer enroute to Thiland, right after my 4 year contract expired and I extended it another year and a half to go on another cruise to the Pacific. Went to Hong Kong twice, Korea, Austrailia, Hawaii, Thailand, Singapore, Bali (Indonesia) and the Middle East.

No combat but wanted to see some since we almost turned the ship around on our way home when Saddam was starting s*** again in 97. If my contract got extended involuntary, I would have made double what I was making with my pay plus hazardous and jump pay and had a LOT of money saved for the future.

Very cool. Why did you leave tho? It seems your contract expired, couldnt you have extended it if you wanted to?

Very cool. Why did you leave tho? It seems your contract expired, couldnt you have extended it if you wanted to?

When you get promoted to E-5 or Seargent as quickly as I did, if you want to re-enlist you have to do what's called a "B Billet"

That means 3 years of either Recruiting Duty, Drill Instructor Duty, or Marine Security Guard.

In other words, you could be a recruiter in Montana, a drill instructor in North Carolina (and get no sleep for three years), or a Security Guard at an Embassy in Butt f*** Egypt. You never get where you want to go.

So if you re-enlist youll start off just where you were as a sergeant? What if you dont advance as fast as you did or you were an officer? Do you get to choose which of the B Billet duties you want?

Yes just because you re-enlist doesn't mean they are automatically move you up in rank. You have to earn it. And if you don't advance as fast as I did and you're only a Corporal after 4 years, you go to another unit and then do a B Billet then next time you re-enlist when you make Seargent. And yes you can choose which one you want to do.

In other words, you could be a recruiter in Montana, a drill instructor in North Carolina (and get no sleep for three years), or a Security Guard at an Embassy in Butt f*** Egypt. You never get where you want to go.

Uhh, I don't know if ElrockinMT would appreciate such kind words about Montanta. Ah, but the hell do I care.

Although I am going in to serve in a different branch, good luck w/becoming a Marine, Spaniard.

Uhh, I don't know if ElrockinMT would appreciate such kind words about Montanta. Ah, but the hell do I care.

Although I am going in to serve in a different branch, good luck w/becoming a Marine, Spaniard.

Why thank you very much bev... :)

Yes just because you re-enlist doesn't mean they are automatically move you up in rank. You have to earn it. And if you don't advance as fast as I did and you're only a Corporal after 4 years, you go to another unit and then do a B Billet then next time you re-enlist when you make Seargent. And yes you can choose which one you want to do.

Is it hard to make a life long career as an enlisted Marine? Maybe Im just not hearing you right but it seems to have a lot of complications...

No, I said I liked to get down to "Shake Your Groove Thing" and BMR replied that I must be hearing-impaired. Like Voodoochile.

That's where the snowball of confusion originated.  Who is BridgePort Joe?

I never said anything about you being hearing impaired, dude.

Is it hard to make a life long career as an enlisted Marine? Maybe Im just not hearing you right but it seems to have a lot of complications...

My biggest recommendation for you oldroman is to go to college and then enlist. The reason is, after you graduate you automatically enter the militar as an officer.

Someone can verify this for me, but I'm 95% sure thats how it works.

My biggest recommendation for you oldroman is to go to college and then enlist. The reason is, after you graduate you automatically enter the militar as an officer.

you are partially correct, chisoxfn.

If you have a degree, you can either enlist or you can apply for OCS, to become an officer. I have a degree, but I enlisted.

There are some advantages to enlisting in the Army, some benefits you might not get if you the officer route, that's why I chose to enlist.

As for the Marines, I would tell you this. If you decide to go to college and not enlist, by your junior year of college, let them know you want to go to Marines OCS. I talked to the Marines before the Army, and they told me that currently they are looking for Juniors and Seniors in college, to get them ready when they graduate. So, if you wait until you graduate, they might not take you.