What could happen in the next 31 days?

Controlled Chaos

From 6/6 to 7/6 we played 29 games and won 22 of them. This included some tough games against Detroit, Texas, the World Series shoulda been Cardinals, the World Series Astros and a heated rivalry with the Cubs. I think they have this kinda run in them again. These next 29 games are huge from 7/28 to 8/28. This is the heart of the season...this is the battle. I don't care who says we suck or the season is over because of the previous 100 games(which in itself is a ridiculous statement since we're 59-41). This is the stretch that will determine October. I believe we have another run of .750 ball and I believe we'll hit it right when the twins and tiggers come down to earth.

This is not blind optimism. Blind Optimism is rooting for something to happen that has never happened, something you've never seen happen. That's not what I'm doing here. I'm just believing our players can do what they've done in the past. It's not a stretch for the pitchers to start pitching and the hitters to start hitting. They have the talent, they can do it.

Mark your calendars Sox fans and sit back and strap it down.

:gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox1: :gosox4:

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
The Tigers have managed to go 4 months without "comming down to earth", what makes you think they'll do that now? Just curious.

I am still trying to figure out with 3 out of 5 of our pitchers pitching like Danny Wright/Felix Diaz/and Anrie Munoz do we think that we have a .750 run left in us.

Today's off day certainly won't hurt them. These last three days were brutal, it's as if a buzzsaw hit them. It would've been difficult for the White Sox to perform any worse than they did, they were awful.

Also I think we will some form of reinforcement(s) coming in by Monday as I don't believe KW is done dealing. The rumors will start heating up like crazy tomorrow and Saturday.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
I am still trying to figure out with 3 out of 5 of our pitchers pitching like Danny Wright/Felix Diaz/and Anrie Munoz do we think that we have a .750 run left in us.

If you think Buehrle and Garcia (who was good in his last start) are going to continue to not pitch well, then I don't know what you're thinking. Garcia can pitch a big game with the best of them (told Coop the day before Game 4 of the World Series to not worry, because there was no way he was losing that game)...and Buehrle will be Buehrle once again. Anyone who thinks we should rid Buehrle or Garcia is about as stupid as wanting to get rid of Garland earlier in the year. You base this crap (because that's what it is) over a few outings, and I'm sorry, but that's just fishing stupid. I'll take this rotation over any other rotation in baseball for the rest of the year. And it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if they are the best rotation from here on out.

Edited by champ

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
The Tigers have managed to go 4 months without "comming down to earth", what makes you think they'll do that now? Just curious.

I don't have facts...I can't guarantee it, but most teams have a down time. The Sox went 5 months without coming down to earth, but they did eventually come down.

As for the pitchers...I think they are all capable of snapping out of it and running off 4 or 5 in a row each.

Garcia is not the same Garcia from the past, he's lost a ton of velocity on his fastball and sits at around 86 MPH right now. What was the last big game he won this year? (Don't tell me the Cards game because that was a pathetic lineup for a pretty bad team) I see his last start as being pretty damn fluky seeing how nothing has changed with him. Freddy Garcia without the heat is not a big game pitcher.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
Garcia is not the same Garcia from the past, he's lost a ton of velocity on his fastball and sits at around 86 MPH right now. What was the last big game he won this year? (Don't tell me the Cards game because that was a pathetic lineup for a pretty bad team) I see his last start as being pretty damn fluky seeing how nothing has changed with him. Freddy Garcia without the heat is not a big game pitcher.

When was the last time he was put in a big game situation? I'd say stopping the losing streak on Saturday would be a big game...and he pitched well. Against the Yankees...without that 'fluky' (as you like to say) first inning, he gave up 3 runs.

The Cards problem is not scoring runs (they can), their problem is their pitching sucks. He outdueled a young pitcher (who threw a 1-hitter) with Pujols in their lineup. Why is that game being thrown out? Even without his velocity from years past, when his stuff is on (like against the Cards), he can dominate regardless.

If you ask me, Buehrle's recent struggles are a fluke, but that doesn't stop people being all over him, now does it? No, it sure doesn't, but Garland's first half last year was 'fluky', and any time Garcia wins now, that's 'fluky' too.

Edited by champ

QUOTE(champ @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
If you think Buehrle and Garcia (who was good in his last start) are going to continue to not pitch well, then I don't know what you're thinking. Garcia can pitch a big game with the best of them (told Coop the day before Game 4 of the World Series to not worry, because there was no way he was losing that game)...and Buehrle will be Buehrle once again. Anyone who thinks we should rid Buehrle or Garcia is about as stupid as wanting to get rid of Garland earlier in the year. You base this crap (because that's what it is) over a few outings, and I'm sorry, but that's just fishing stupid. I'll take this rotation over any other rotation in baseball for the rest of the year. And it wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if they are the best rotation from here on out.

That was an excellent post.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)

Even if the TIgers don't, the Sox just need to play good baseball the rest of the way (something they haven't done in a few weeks). They do that and they'll be at least in a position to win the WC. With the way the Tigers are playing you can't expect anything, although if they hit a slide it will be interesting to see if they can dig themselves out.

Hell I'm still interested in seeing if the Sox can or if we should just hire a new manager at the end of the season.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
I have never liked playoff teams that had to go through a great run and come from behind to get into the playoffs. They run out of steam. I don't want that to be the White Sox this year. It shouldn't be, thats for sure.

Since 2000, 6 of the 12 world series participants have been wild card teams and 3 have won it. I think a tight battle helps. I think the battle with Cleveland last year, albeit not fighting for a wild card, helped the sox as well. I kept saying it could be a blessing in disguise and I think it was.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
I have never liked playoff teams that had to go through a great run and come from behind to get into the playoffs. They run out of steam. I don't want that to be the White Sox this year. It shouldn't be, thats for sure.

I'll take my chances with the Sox going all out the rest of the season, and gaining homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
Hope you're not a betting man/woman.

What I was saying is, I'll take the postseason right now, and worry about how much gas they have left in the tank then. Right now, there's no time to just give some guys time off, it's getting to the time where Ozzie needs to put the starters out there, and get the team into the postseason. Once they're in the postseason, anything can happen...the goal right now is to get there, not worry about them running out of gas when they do get there.

Edited by champ