Lee Rejects Huge Offer

DBAHO

Carlos Lee will likely be traded after rejecting a four-year, $48 million contract proposal from the Brewers, according to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal.

Intentionally or not, Brewers GM Doug Melvin is playing this one smart. $48 million over four years is a fair offer for Lee, but it wasn't one he was going to accept, not when he seems likely to get $65 million for five years as a free agent. Now the Brewers can say they tried, all along knowing that they are better off trading him and spending the money elsewhere. Lee is 30 years old, has little defensive value and has never finished a season with a 900 OPS. He could easily be a $5 million-$6 million player by the third year of his next contract. The Twins, Tigers, Angels, Rangers, Cardinals, Dodgers and Astros are all expected to have interest in trading for him. Jul. 28 - 1:12 am et

Maybe this will force Bowden to drop his asking price a little, as other teams may tell him unless that's the case, we'll go out and acquire Carlos Lee instead.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 06:41 AM)
I'm assuming Carlos Lee never talked to Juan Gonzalez. Although my guess is they'll be talking over brunch about how they really spiff the bed in terms of passing up excellent deals.

except unless he has a Magglio like injury Carlos Lee is going to get a better deal.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 01:40 AM)
Maybe this will force Bowden to drop his asking price a little, as other teams may tell him unless that's the case, we'll go out and acquire Carlos Lee instead.

perhaps you want to go back to square one. Let's bring the 2003-04 style of play back. That will work.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
perhaps you want to go back to square one. Let's bring the 2003-04 style of play back. That will work.

Unless you want Carlos Lee to become our leadoff hitter instead of Soriano all of a sudden.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 01:41 AM)
I'm assuming Carlos Lee never talked to Juan Gonzalez. Although my guess is they'll be talking over brunch about how they really spiff the bed in terms of passing up excellent deals.

The main difference I see in that logic is that Lee has been pretty healthy his entire career, and Juan has been on the DL for more than half of his career. Barring a catastrophic injury in the next few months, Lee will be able to throw himself on the market and get a larger amount than 48 mil and a longer contract. I dont think Juan quite understood that Detroit was offering him an insane amount of money that he wasnt going to get anywhere else(ever again).

I bet Juan understands now though.

Does anyone remember what year Gonzalez got offered that deal by Detroit? It seems to me that he could be either in his last year of that deal, or that last year would have been the last year... Damn how screwed would the Tigers have been paying that guy 20 million a year for nothing, still?

The Newark Stark Ledger pretty much repeats my message;

If Lee is available, it will hurt Washington's effort to trade Alfonso Soriano, since Lee will supplant Soriano atop the wish lists of offense-hungry contenders such as the Tigers.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 09:21 AM)
The Newark Stark Ledger pretty much repeats my message;

I'm not sure that the Lee trade can be compared to what the Nationals are asking for in return for Soriano.

For Lee, the Brewers are receiving major league players, for Soriano, the Nationals are asking for prospects..