Grinder Bash feedback

LosMediasBlancas

Long time lurker, with some general comments about last night's party. I've been a ST holder for many years (going back to old Comiskey).

In general, I've found that the White Sox will screw up events such as this if it is humanly possible. Any one could tell ahead of time that sending out tickets stating that they will "Admit one person" followed by resending additional tickets a few days before the event that are actually the tickets for admittance would cause problems.

And having employees who turn away customers, arguably their BEST customers, because of White Sox caused confusion is the ultimate example of how not to run customer service.

I saw Christine O'Reilly's name listed earlier, she is not the one running these events. She is in charge of community relations and runs the events related to charity (blue seat sale, ring raffle, etc). She is an extremely helpful person, and probably should be in charge of customer service, but is not.

I believe customer service is still being run by Julie Taylor (I think I have the last name right, but not 100% certain). After you meet and talk to her for a few minutes, you'll understand why some Sox employees have the attitude they have. She has a definite "screw you" attitude that comes through at most times. I have seen her screaming at Sox fans who have legit problems in the past.

The Sox attitude towards ST holders seems to change dramatically based on their season ticket base. In the early nineties when the team was good, they generally treated ST holders like garbage. Then in the late 90's early 00's they were excellent. Probably since ST holders were the only ones buying tickets.

Hopefully they don't repeat the errors of the past. I'm sure they'd like to hold onto these season ticket holders even when the team is not successful on the field, which is inevitable in the future.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WSC2005 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:38 AM)
In general, I've found that the White Sox will screw up events such as this if it is humanly possible. Any one could tell ahead of time that sending out tickets stating that they will "Admit one person" followed by resending additional tickets a few days before the event that are actually the tickets for admittance would cause problems.

And having employees who turn away customers, arguably their BEST customers, because of White Sox caused confusion is the ultimate example of how not to run customer service.

As Soon as I saw that Invitation which CLEARLY SAID - ADMIT ONE - then in fineprint, it says to RSVP

for another ticket, I knew the SOX again dropped the ball on this. Its almost like the SOX purposely are trying to make things way more difficult than it needs to be. They should NEVER turn anyone away,

anyone with a ticket .... SHOULD GET IN. What are they thinking? This wasnt some contest where "the first 1000 customers get in free". If theyre going to throw a ThankYou party for All of their Season Ticket Base, then plan for ALL of your Season Ticket Base to be there, not only 25% of them.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
As Soon as I saw that Invitation which CLEARLY SAID - ADMIT ONE - then in fineprint, it says to RSVP

for another ticket, I knew the SOX again dropped the ball on this. Its almost like the SOX purposely are trying to make things way more difficult than it needs to be. They should NEVER turn anyone away,

anyone with a ticket .... SHOULD GET IN. What are they thinking? This wasnt some contest where "the first 1000 customers get in free". If theyre going to throw a ThankYou party for All of their Season Ticket Base, then plan for ALL of your Season Ticket Base to be there, not only 25% of them.

Exactly!

So am I writing the letter? I'm volunteering.

I'm just confused as to whom to send it: Jerry, or Brooks? We have to go higher up than the woman who's aparently running this fiasco.

I went last night....and we had a good time. It would have been better if it had NOT rained, since that meant I did not get on the field. The sox guy signing was Carlos May...I didn't even bother since I did not know him. We waited on the food and there was no line. Had plenty of beer...had plenty of food...took some pictures. So if there is any chance of rain, and you want to walk on the field (dugout, bullpen, etc), head to the center field tunnel as soon as you get there.

And be sure to turn in the raffle tickets you originally got, in the left field concourse area.

And it was a real organized event until the rain caused them to move the trophy from the center field fan deck, and close the field...then it got a little messy...dogs and cats sleeping together, mass hysteria. :bang

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
I went last night....and we had a good time. It would have been better if it had NOT rained, since that meant I did not get on the field. The sox guy signing was Carlos May...I didn't even bother since I did not know him. We waited on the food and there was no line. Had plenty of beer...had plenty of food...took some pictures. So if there is any chance of rain, and you want to walk on the field (dugout, bullpen, etc), head to the center field tunnel as soon as you get there.

And be sure to turn in the raffle tickets you originally got, in the left field concourse area.

And it was a real organized event until the rain caused them to move the trophy from the center field fan deck, and close the field...then it got a little messy...dogs and cats sleeping together, mass hysteria. :bang

LOL! It'll be ANARCHY!

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
Exactly!

So am I writing the letter? I'm volunteering.

I'm just confused as to whom to send it: Jerry, or Brooks? We have to go higher up than the woman who's aparently running this fiasco.

Send the letter and put

ATTN: GRINDER BASH FIASCO

They'll get it to the right people

This should be known as Grinder Bash 2006: A Thank You from the SOX to a Fraction of our Season Ticket Base

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
LOL! It'll be ANARCHY!

After we could not get onto the field, we asked where the WS Trophy was...and since it rained...they said its now in section 119. So we headed over there. (I had a picture already, but my dad did not) So we get there...no trophy and a guy talking on a walkie talkie. He then tells us that the trophy will remain in the Scout Lounge...Right after he tells us this, over the walkie talkie we hear...'the trophy will remain in Section 119'...so we wait...a little line forms and then all these people show up....apparently they had been somewhere, in line, and got placeholder tickets...so now we have us there and these new people and everyone's getting testy. Luckily we were next in line and got out of there before people got ugly.

Again, the rain f***ed some spiff up.

The invite clearly stated that you had to RSVP by a certain date. With as many season ticketholders as they have now, it's regrettable, but understandable that errors occurred with the planning of this. When I pay for my season tickets what I expect is a well run baseball operation. Everything else is gravy.

QUOTE(Wealz @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
The invite clearly stated that you had to RSVP by a certain date. With as many season ticketholders as they have now, it's regrettable, but understandable that errors occurred with the planning of this. When I pay for my season tickets what I expect is a well run baseball operation. Everything else is gravy.

you're easy.

It's not just for season ticket holders. IMO, that's where the problem started. They should have had an alternate date for patio party and suite folks.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
you're easy.

Well... it did. And Jim and I both laughed when we got them saying "wonder how this will get ef'd up". :lolhitting

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
LV, I know you wont be this stupid. :rolleyes

Send it to Christine with a CC to Brooks. That should get it to the right hands.

See. I knew it. ;)

Ahh, Steff.. Ye of little faith! :chair

You've read me long enough by now to know I know better!

I shall arrive at the Sox offices wearing a Haz-Mat suit and carrying a placard which states: "WHAT STINKS MORE THAN YOUR TEAM IN JULY? YOUR &^%!$%! SPECIAL EVENTS!" And I will be barking through a bullhorn, saying things like "Do I LOOK LIKE LANCE BASS? So WHY YOU TRYING TO BEND ME OVER?"

I'm sure that will get me an audience with Jerry.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)

I shall arrive at the Sox offices wearing a Haz-Mat suit and carrying a placard which states: "WHAT STINKS MORE THAN YOUR TEAM IN JULY? YOUR &^%!$%! SPECIAL EVENTS!" And I will be barking through a bullhorn, saying things like "Do I LOOK LIKE LANCE BASS? So WHY YOU TRYING TO BEND ME OVER?"

:lolhitting :lolhitting

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)

Placards are so last year. Sandwich boards are now in style.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)

:notworthy :lolhitting :lol: :cheers ;)

The problem is there are a ton of people who RSVP'd by the required date, and they never got the other tickets. I left a message on a voice mail, and thankfully did receive the tickets, but its a pretty screwy system. Why don't they have the reps do this stuff through e-mail? Or have a master email and then when people call and say they haven't received their tickets, they could easily look it up? I'm still trying to figure out what my rep does to earn his paycheck, and even worse, the stiff gets a WS ring. It makes me sick. I haven't received an email from him since February. Either they need to hire more reps, and in the grand scheme of things, they don't make a lot of money so it really won't hurt them, or get them, or at least mine, better trained. The fiasco with the WS and playoff tickets last year, and this snafu is only going to make it harder to renew bandwagon fans if the season falls apart at the seams. They had plenty of time for planning these parties, they really have no excuses. If you were someone who took advantage of the playoff ticketoffer and picked up season tickets last fall, you have had the fiasco of not being able to reach anybody with the White Sox concerning whether or not you successfully were able to land tickets last fall, you were stuffed into Sox fest with a shoehorn last January, maybe that wasn't the White Sox fault, but its still a blemish on the organization, and now the season ticketholder party you may or may not really be invited. You may drive down to USCF and get sent home. Something needs to be done about it. Being swamped is not an excuse.

Edited by Dick Allen

I'll post my letter for everybody here when I send it. You're right, DA: this is inexcusable.

Hey, if it sold out or whatever, fine. Just tell me. But to kick me to the curb like that after YOU invited me, ugh.

And I feel for those poor people showing up, only to get turned away. That is heartless.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
I'll post my letter for everybody here when I send it. You're right, DA: this is inexcusable.

Hey, if it sold out or whatever, fine. Just tell me. But to kick me to the curb like that after YOU invited me, ugh.

And I feel for those poor people showing up, only to get turned away. That is heartless.

Post it. I'll make a copy and bring it with me. In past year's when the had the parties, occassionally JR would be there. Who knows he may be at the one I'm at. I'll hand it to him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
Post it. I'll make a copy and bring it with me. In past year's when the had the parties, occassionally JR would be there. Who knows he may be at the one I'm at. I'll hand it to him.

Oye...

I was able to go yesterday but not get on the field because of the rain. You think they would know exactly how many invites were sent out and how many party times they would need to have to accomodate everyone. How can you invite X number of people and then later tell them it's full. This makes no sense. Can anyone explain this. Why would you send out more invites than people you can handle? Really in the end you are just screwing over your paying customers.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
Oye...

LOL. Travis Bickle alert!

Anyway, here is the letter:

Ms. Christine O’Reilly

Chicago White Sox

U.S. Cellular Field

333 W. 35th St.

Chicago, IL , 60616

Dear Ms. O’Reilly:

I’m writing to you on the day I was invited to the “Grinder Party” at U.S. Cellular Field. When the invites arrived last month, I was more than thrilled as I have often wanted to see what the dugouts and bullpen looked like from a player’s perspective, and to stand in the outfield is a dream of mine. I’m a lifelong Sox fan who attended 40 games, both home and away, last year and am currently at 18 for 2006. I bleed White Sox black, even though I am a Northsider.

Unfortunately, I will not be there tonight because, although I RSVP’d per the instructions, I never received the second set of tickets and after three attempts to call sales reps there, I was told the first time there was no record of me (YOU sent me the invites), then that there was no record of my RSVP (I did) and finally the rep did not return my phone messages.

As an avid member of soxtalk.com, when I went online with my story I found that I was not alone. Others, too, had a similar experience—yet there were also stories of members receiving extra tickets that they did not even request. Overall the consensus was that the customer service was atrocious for this event, and some even recalled being there last night and watching fans be turned away because they did not realize the original passes—which state “Bring this card to the event for admittance” do not, in fact, get one admittance to the event.

What is most troubling to me and other Sox fans isn’t simply that we can’t go, but that we would—your most loyal fan base—be treated like cattle. Or dismissed outright. One would think it would go without saying that if you’re going to have a thank-you event for the most loyal of the loyal, it would probably be best for the organization not to shaft them. I understand that demand—especially right now—outstrips supply (we all learned that when we made the playoffs last year) but this is entirely inexcusable and, quite frankly, insulting. Everything else about U.S. Cellular is superbly professional, why this event (and to another extent the SoxFest fiasco of overselling) was mishandled so badly is truly a mystery. The point is, you offered us a nice night at the park as a thank-you and some of us got kicked in the face.

Hopefully, you will take my letter to heart because I do love the Sox and the park and I will always support the team. But when you do things like this it leaves a bitter taste because it is so unnecessary—so unnecessary to invite excited loyal fans to something like this and then have them disappointed. And, to boot, be not even acknowledged when they try—without any anger—to resolve the situation by calling repeatedly.

A good rule of thumb is always: underpromise and overdeliver. I realize that overselling things is good profit-wise, but this was a free event. If there is a problem trying to plan things like this in the future, then let me seriously offer my services to take over this planning. I’m not kidding. I will fix it.

That nothwithstanding, from myself and other loyal Sox fans, like the ones who won’t be there tonight, I think our sentiment is best summed up as: we’ve done our part all season, every season, and we’re disappointed the Sox didn’t do theirs with an event like this. I expect so much more from the Sox, and you should take that as a compliment.

Hopefully this won’t happen again and please do not read undue anger into this letter. I just don’t want to hear any more stories about people showing up at the park and being turned away because of bad planning. That borders on heartless. Yes I’m disappointed, but I can only imagine how those people feel.

Sincerely yours,

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
I don't understand how the event could even be close to sold out.

I mean, fans are allowed on the field. So, most of the field and the entire bullpen bar were full? There aren't that many full and partial ST holders. Not to menton, it's not a 1 day event.

It was not just for ST holders...

ST holders

Anyone that had/attended a patio party

Anyone that bought a suite