Delmon Young

DBAHO

Anyone just get the feeling, the D-Rays may just cut their losses with him soon, and trade him for another really top notch prospect?

For the second straight season, Delmon Young is complaining about not being called up to the majors.

This time he added in B.J. Upton and Elijah Dukes. "They're what, 30 games out of first place?" Young said. "They think we're going to mess up their clubhouse chemistry. B.J. should be up there. What are they waiting for? They always have excuses." Jul. 28 - 10:17 am et

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
Wow! Does he understand that he is a minor league ball player? He is acting like he is a 10 year vet. I hope he does get called up and sucks.

you probably arent aware of his talent... he is one of those rookies that should come in and dominate or be very good right away. And with the devil rays the way they are why not call up the young guys? The only reason not to call up Delmon at this point is if they dont want his arbitration clock starting early.

But yeah the guy clearly does not want to be there.... he will definitely be traded during his contract year.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Perhaps Young, Dukes, and Upton should stop throwing bats at umpires, beating up teammates, and getting arrested for drunk driving?

Just a thought.

Has Upton done anything illegal? Ive heard crap about Dukes and a course the Young thing involving the umpire.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
Has Upton done anything illegal? Ive heard crap about Dukes and a course the Young thing involving the umpire.

He got busted for a DUI. From my source within the organization, he's a good guy....just a terrible defensive player.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
Wow! Does he understand that he is a minor league ball player? He is acting like he is a 10 year vet. I hope he does get called up and sucks.

Fat chance. To put up the numbers he has at the highest level of minor league ball by age 20 is quite rare. If I were the Rays there's no way I would trade him at this point even with the attitude problem.

Technically he's right. I've wondered for a long time why they sit around and wait. Obviously they don't want to start the time table, but for cripe sakes at one point get the guys up and let them get there licks in.

Sure it can blow up in your face, but were talking about talented guys that have put up some good numbers in the minors.

As Hawk would say. Where are they going to play them? Lugo and Wigginton have the SS/2B locked up. Crawford and Baldelli have two of the OF spots locked up, and the other OF spot has Branyan, Hollins, and Norton vying for time.

Young should have kept his mouth shut until after the trade deadline to see if guys like Lugo, Wigginton, Branyan, and Gomes are moved like they should be.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
As Hawk would say. Where are they going to play them? Lugo and Wigginton have the SS/2B locked up. Crawford and Baldelli have two of the OF spots locked up, and the other OF spot has Branyan, Hollins, and Norton vying for time.

Young should have kept his mouth shut until after the trade deadline to see if guys like Lugo, Wigginton, Branyan, and Gomes are moved like they should be.

Branyan, HOllins and Norton should not be taking the time when you have guys like Dukes (or moreso Young) that could step into the OF). Wigginton is nice but you got to open up a spot at 3B for Upton. Wigginton can sitll get his AB's between 1st and DH.

Is Gomes going to be moved, I don't know how old he is, but he's a pretty solid player with some power.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)

That's like saying let's not call Pujols up because we have John Mabry, Ross Gload and Kevin Millar all trying to get playing time.

That's like saying let's not call Pujols up because we have John Mabry, Ross Gload and Kevin Millar all trying to get playing time.

lmao, so now Elijah Dukes, BJ Upton, and Delmon Young are Albert Pujols waiting to happen.

These guys are far from blowing the minor leagues away. Delmon still has to develop power, Upton has to pull his head out of his ass defensively with his 33 errors, and Dukes has to prove he's not a complete asshole. Dukes fought with a teammate, coaches, and was arrested 3 times from 03-05, while being thrown out of 6 games last year, earning him a suspension for that as well.

Gomes, on pace for 31 homers and 85 rbi's, at 25 years old.

Wigginton, on pace for 30 homers and 90 rbi's, at 28 years old.

Lugo, .309, 12 homers and 27 knocked in, , 30 years old.

Why wouldn't Tampa Bay play these guys and showcase them for the trading deadline? Would they rather see Upton's .268 average and 33 errors at the big league level? Or how about watching Delmon try to develop his power at the big league level with 5 homers in 217 at-bats? Maybe they want to see Dukes try to beat the hell out of Crawford first hand?

Jason, as for Gomes being available. I would think he would be shopped around, as he's one of their most valuable trading assets as they try to search for help for Kazmir in the rotation in the future. They have alot of good pitching talent in their system as you know, but I would be willing to bet they might be looking for a solid RHP 2-4 type starter that they know they can count on to pitch with Kazmir and Hendrickson and eat some innings up, like a Josh Fogg.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
Jason, as for Gomes being available. I would think he would be shopped around, as he's one of their most valuable trading assets as they try to search for help for Kazmir in the rotation in the future. They have alot of good pitching talent in their system as you know, but I would be willing to bet they might be looking for a solid RHP 2-4 type starter that they know they can count on to pitch with Kazmir and Hendrickson and eat some innings up, like a Josh Fogg.

They traded Hendrickson.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
Maybe they want to see Dukes try to beat the hell out of Crawford first hand?

I still would have liked to see Sean Tracey beat the spiff out of him. It is pretty bad when your own teammates want you to get beaten by an opposing player not one of his teammates came out to defend him, Rogo, Fields and Stewart had to separate them.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
FWIW, the Durham Bulls sent Elijah Dukes home. He's saying he's going to quit...but that will last about as long as a Mick Foley retirement.

They'll trade him in the off-season. Can hardly blame the Rays for doing so.

He's burnt his bridges there.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 03:37 AM)
They'll trade him in the off-season. Can hardly blame the Rays for doing so.

He's burnt his bridges there.

I know it's not entirely his fault, but the sooner they get him away from their young prospects, the better.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
I know it's not entirely his fault, but the sooner they get him away from their young prospects, the better.

Yeah because it's obviously rubbed off on the likes of Young and Upton hasn't it.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
lmao, so now Elijah Dukes, BJ Upton, and Delmon Young are Albert Pujols waiting to happen.

These guys are far from blowing the minor leagues away. Delmon still has to develop power, Upton has to pull his head out of his ass defensively with his 33 errors, and Dukes has to prove he's not a complete asshole. Dukes fought with a teammate, coaches, and was arrested 3 times from 03-05, while being thrown out of 6 games last year, earning him a suspension for that as well.

Gomes, on pace for 31 homers and 85 rbi's, at 25 years old.

Wigginton, on pace for 30 homers and 90 rbi's, at 28 years old.

Lugo, .309, 12 homers and 27 knocked in, , 30 years old.

Why wouldn't Tampa Bay play these guys and showcase them for the trading deadline? Would they rather see Upton's .268 average and 33 errors at the big league level? Or how about watching Delmon try to develop his power at the big league level with 5 homers in 217 at-bats? Maybe they want to see Dukes try to beat the hell out of Crawford first hand?

No, they aren't comprable at this point. I was just making a point that it is silly to block these guys when they should be getting PT. I really think Wiggington is just having a career year personally. Gomes is solid though as well.