****Carlos Lee to Rangers

Soxman72

Carlos Lee traded to Rangers per ESPNEWS

Thank you Rangers for keeping him away from the Tigers, Twins, and Yankees. I just hope that the Rangers don't become a pain in the butt for us in the WC

Edited by Soxman72

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Milwaukee Brewers are trading slugger Carlos Lee to the Texas Rangers as part of a multi-player deal, ESPN.com learned Friday.

The Brewers are sending Lee, minor-league outfield prospect Nelson Cruz and a player to be named later to the Rangers for relief pitcher Francisco Cordero and outfielders Kevin Mench and Laynce Nix.

Both teams are checking for any medical issues before consummating the deal.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
Holy smokes! They gave up a bunch! Kevin Mench, Francisco Cordero, and Laynce Nix!!!!! WOW!!!!

I think Texas got the better end of this deal as long as they are able to lock up Carlos.

I think the Brewers made a great deal. Talk about three guys that can still help you win this year in the weak WC race. I have liked Nix for some time and I hope he can get his act together. Hats off to the Brewers.

Edited by Soxman72

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wOW. Milwaukee did AWESOME in that deal. It really makes me hope we do stay out of the Soriano deal.

Texas also got Nelson Cruz though, which is a pretty good deal.

From CBS Sportsline:

OF Nelson Cruz is hitting .299 with 19 homers, 71 RBI and 17 steals through 348 at-bats for the Nashville Sounds.

Cruz is the starter in waiting for 2007, but he could push that time table up this year. With Carlos Lee a free agent to be and possible trade deadline candidate -- that might be Cruz's shot to make the Brewers. He should be owned in all NL keeper leagues that allow owners to stash bench players.

I don't know if this makes Cruz and Lee = Nix, Mench, and Cordero though.

I will take the side of thinking the Brewers are dumb.

Trade CLee and you don't even get a decent prospect?

Nix has been unable to make it in the Rangers outfield for 3 years now. They tried to hand him the CF job for the past two years and he just wouldn't take it.

Mench is a hot/cold player... what you see is what you get... not much upside.

Cordero is a good bullpen arm.

Plus the Brewers traded Nelson Cruz. I think he would have been starting in the Brewers OF in the next year or two.

I love this deal for the Rangers.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
I will take the side of thinking the Brewers are dumb.

Trade CLee and you don't even get a decent prospect?

Nix has been unable to make it in the Rangers outfield for 3 years now. They tried to hand him the CF job for the past two years and he just wouldn't take it.

Mench is a hot/cold player... what you see is what you get... not much upside.

Cordero is a good bullpen arm.

Plus the Brewers traded Nelson Cruz. I think he would have been starting in the Brewers OF in the next year or two.

I love this deal for the Rangers.

I do too if they can lock up Carlos. The Brewers minus Carlos are not very good. Even if you sprinkle in the 2 average fielders and one above average reliever they just received.

Mench really isn't all that good. Nix has not done much at the major league level lately and Cordero has been getting rocked. CLee is by far the best hitter in this trade, and eventually Cruz probably will be the second best. I'm glad CLee is staying out of the AL Central, but I don't see where the Brewers got all that huge of return on him especially because Cruz is a good prospect.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
Mench really isn't all that good. Nix has not done much at the major league level lately and Cordero has been getting rocked. CLee is by far the best hitter in this trade, and eventually Cruz probably will be the second best. I'm glad CLee is staying out of the AL Central, but I don't see where the Brewers got all that huge of return on him especially because Cruz is a good prospect.

Yeah, for a small budget team, they didn't really add good, cheap, young prospects.

Yeah, on paper, Texas may have really got the best end of this deal. I agree with Dick.

Now Milwaukee has 3 closers who haven't gotten the job done this year, an outfielder who while at least worth something, is ungodly streaky and has slugged 70 points better at Arlington than outside of Arlington, and a guy who is 3/32 this year and is a career .241 hitter.

Milwaukee has to hope that either Mench improves even more at his age or Mike Maddux can turn around Cordero, because otherwise they're going to really be hurt by this deal.

I called Cruz a good prospect, let me make that he's decent. He can hit, but he is 26 years old. I still think if given the opportunity, he could still give you what Mench does right now. I don't know how this will affect what Soriano brings Bowden, considering Milwaukee really didn't get prospects except for maybe Nix, who really has to be a longshot at being anything above average at this point. If Cordero turns it around, he will make the deal alright, but I believe he has a contract with an option next year for $5 million, and its $6 million if he's the closer. His stay in Milwaukee will probably be brief. It may be a couple of months, it may be a couple of days, it may be a couple of hours.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)

Put all those guys in the NL Central, and you've got 3 very good players.