Soxman72

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(champ @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
Put all those guys in the NL Central, and you've got 3 very good players.

Texas is a hitter's paradise. I don't see Mench doing much more than he's doing. Cordero has a $5 million option after this season, so he's a little expensive for the Brewers as a set-up man, and if they make him the closer his option goes to $6 million. Nix has struggled in the major leagues for a couple of seasons now. Its probably better than nothing although I think the Brewers would have been better to keep CLee, get the draft picks and spend the money they had planned to give him on free agents or off season trades.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
Texas is a hitter's paradise. I don't see Mench doing much more than he's doing. Cordero has a $5 million option after this season, so he's a little expensive for the Brewers as a set-up man, and if they make him the closer his option goes to $6 million. Nix has struggled in the major leagues for a couple of seasons now. Its probably better than nothing although I think the Brewers would have been better to keep CLee, get the draft picks and spend the money they had planned to give him on free agents or off season trades.

It's probably also worth noting that Lee is making what, $8 million this season, and Milwaukee just took on about $7 million in salary this year alone, with probably more after that as Cordero goes up. In other words, Milwaukee actually added salary for next year in this deal.

Mench's home stats: 8 home runs, 32 RBI, Slug .491

Mench's road stats: 4 home runs, 18 RBI, slug .423.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
The rangers just don't seem to get the idea that pitching wins championships

It's not like the Rangers gave up pitching in this deal. At least not pitching that was performing well.

Edited by Balta1701

So this should assure Brady Clark to the Sox damnit, thy already had Corey Hart, Gabe Gross, Tony Gwynn, Geoff Jenkins, Carlos Lee and Brady Clark now they add Laynce Nix while replacing CLee with Mench? They had no use for Brady before, now there's zero use for him in Milwaukee.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
It's not like the Rangers gave up pitching in this deal. At least not pitching that was performing well.

Cordero really appeared to be toast he started struggling last year, just giving up a ton of hit at inopertune times and this year he has just been horrid against every team that's not the White Sox. I really don't think he had a lot of value. To say the Rangers gave up a lot in this deal is a serious stretch.

Cordero really only had an awful April. His numbers for May were good and in June they were great. July was going well except for one bad outing againt the Yankees.

I think the Brewers will make him their closer, and I think he will do well in the NL. I also think they will probably try and trade him off in the off season.

Mench should look a lot better in the NL.

The Rangers wanted to dump Mench, had little use for Nix and gave up one hell of an arm for a guy who can hit the heck out of the ball (Lee) and a decent OF prospect.

Pretty good move since the Rangers had the ability to fork those players up without losing a beat (although Coredero will hurt a bit) but if they lock him up long term, great move.

On the other end the Brewers can make this move and still stay relatively competitive and my guess is Brady Clark will be the next guy on the move with Nix replacing him in CF. Mench may be a better NL hitter than AL one too.

Cordero will be nice for the pen, but they should have got top prospects back instead of Mench and Nix. Apparently they didn't want prospects though and think this is less of a sign of giving up than it would have been had they got spects in return. Or maybe they now plan on swinging Mench to another team.

The Brewers did really good. They unloaded CLee and got some very reasonable contracts.

Contract Situation:

Mench - signed 1 yr deal for 2.8M, can become a FA in 2008

Cordero - signed thru 06, with 07 option ($5mil or 500k buyout)

Nix - Minor Leagues

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
The Brewers did really good. They unloaded CLee and got some very reasonable contracts.

Contract Situation:

Mench - signed 1 yr deal for 2.8M, can become a FA in 2008

Cordero - signed thru 06, with 07 option ($5mil or 500k buyout)

Nix - Minor Leagues

The best player they got (Cordero) is going to get 5 million next year if they want him. Thats a lot of money for the Brewers to pay for a reliever. Turnbow had a funk but he's still pretty solid and they have a nice 8/9 inning combo there but I think they could have done much better.

Wow if thats all it took for Clee I would think that hurts the value on Soriano. Keven Mench is a very talented hitter but he isnt anything special in the OF and I know Buck Showalter never thought much of him. Nix really hit well in the minors if I remember right and made some highlight reel catches in the OF but hasnt been able to hit at all in the majors...And Cordero isnt what he used to be but still has 2 real plus pitches although he is a headcase and hangs pitches.

So an underachiever, a bust, and an over the hill reliever for a slugger like Carlos Lee.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 12:16 PM)
The best player they got (Cordero) is going to get 5 million next year if they want him. Thats a lot of money for the Brewers to pay for a reliever. Turnbow had a funk but he's still pretty solid and they have a nice 8/9 inning combo there but I think they could have done much better.

7, 8, 9 has just been somewhat locked down. Cordero is better than Turnbow IMO. I think the Rangers paid a pretty steep price for a CLEE rental.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
7, 8, 9 has just been somewhat locked down. Cordero is better than Turnbow IMO. I think the Rangers paid a pretty steep price for a CLEE rental.

Nix doesn't play for them and won't play for them.

Lee >>>> Mench (who he replaces)

Cordero (darn good reliever, but one that probably isn't worth 5 mill and I am surprised the Brewers are gonna pay that so my guess is the Brewers trade him eventually).

The question is Lee that much better than Cordero and Mench and my answer is an unequivacal yes as long as Lee is signed long term. Lee will be the righty that lineup needs between Tex and Blalock (to go with Young and Sarge Jr. at the top) while Cordero probably would have been gone in a short time.

Not to mention the Rangers still have all there pitching prospects in tact, which is what they are going to need to reach the next level (whether they trade them for proven arms or develop em).

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
I will take the side of thinking the Brewers are dumb.

Trade CLee and you don't even get a decent prospect?

Nix has been unable to make it in the Rangers outfield for 3 years now. They tried to hand him the CF job for the past two years and he just wouldn't take it.

Mench is a hot/cold player... what you see is what you get... not much upside.

Cordero is a good bullpen arm.

Plus the Brewers traded Nelson Cruz. I think he would have been starting in the Brewers OF in the next year or two.

I love this deal for the Rangers.

Agree....what the hell are the Brewers thinking?!?!?