Miguel Tejada

DBAHO

Here they are;

The Astros, Angels and Rangers are offering significant major-league talent for Orioles shortstop Miguel Tejada, FOXSports.com has learned.

Orioles owner Peter Angelos, who said last month that the team would not trade Tejada, could reconsider his position due to the quality of the proposals.

The Angels are offering right-hander Ervin Santana and Class AAA shortstop Erick Aybar, according to multiple major-league sources.

The Astros are offering "prime major-league pieces," a major-league source says, topping the proposal they made for Tejada last off-season – closer Brad Lidge, shortstop Adam Everett and an outfielder, either Jason Lane or Willy Taveras.

The Rangers' package is centered around third baseman Hank Blalock, though the team is believed to be more intent on improving their pitching after parting with setup man Francisco Cordero in their trade for Brewers left fielder Carlos Lee.

The Tigers and Dodgers also have shown interest in Tejada, who has emerged as a hot trade commodity in part because he is signed through 2009 at an average salary of nearly $13 million per season.

Angelos, however, is a slow, painstaking negotiator who might not be prepared to move Tejada before Monday's non-waiver deadline, if he is willing to move him at all.

The Angels, pushing hard to add an impact hitter, also are among the teams pursuing Nationals left fielder Alfonso Soriano, who is a free agent at the end of the season.

But considering the Nationals' steep asking price for two months of Soriano, the Angels might prefer three-plus years of Tejada, whom they likely would move to third base. Tejada also would play third for the Rangers, who have lots of the young pitching that the Orioles desire.

The Astros, who have become increasingly aggressive in their search for another slugger, would play Tejada at shortstop and send their current shortstop, Everett, to the Orioles.

Everett also was part of the Tejada discussions last off-season. The talks died after Tejada rescinded his request to be traded.

Lidge, who is struggling this season, likely would not be included in the Astros' revised package; the Orioles are happy with their young closer, right-hander Chris Ray.

The Angels, sources say, made the second-best offers for the Brewers' Lee, who went to the Rangers on Friday, and Indians first baseman Ben Broussard, who went to the Mariners on Wednesday.

Aybar, who is batting .314 with a .361 on-base percentage and a .480 slugging percentage at Class AAA Salt Lake, was the centerpiece of the Angels' offer for Lee, and the player that the Indians wanted for Broussard.

So in other words, say if the Sox offered B-Mac and Uribe, that's very similar to the Angels offer really.

Looks like he may be moved after all.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were the Angels I'd see if I could include Saunders in that offer and get back Cabrerra and let Bud Black work with him. I can't see any deal that helps the Angels in which they give up Santana.

Santana has a real live arm, is pitching well for them, and with Colon down you can't afford to lose two guys from your rotation and replace them with youngsters (Saunders would come in, but I don't know who else would).

Aybar is a darn good prospect but the Angels got a dearth of middle infielders and can definately afford to move him.

I think if I'm LAA, with those offers, I get a deal done involving Aybar and a lesser prospect for SOriano and take my chances on resigning him.

Farmer said tonight that they expect him to be moved in Baltimore. If I'm the Orioles I'm jumping all over the Angels' offer, that's incredibly solid. Santana would be a very quality starter for them for years to come and they add a major middle infield spect in Aybar to eventually replace Miggy, if not this year.

Miggy just isn't worth McCarthy.

Farmer said tonight that they expect him to be moved in Baltimore. If I'm the Orioles I'm jumping all over the Angels' offer, that's incredibly solid. Santana would be a very quality starter for them for years to come and they add a major middle infield spect in Aybar to eventually replace Miggy, if not this year.

Miggy just isn't worth McCarthy. IMO

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)

Miggy just isn't worth McCarthy.

Miggy just isn't worth McCarthy. IMO

The Angels offer >>> Ensberg, Everett and a pitching prospect. Santana is more proven than any prospect and Aybar is a heck of a prospect in his own right.

If I'm the Angels, I'm giving up two more good prospects as opposed to Santana because I don't think they can afford to give him up.

If you're going to trade McCarthy, Tejada's one of the few guys who I would consider it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
The Angels offer >>> Ensberg, Everett and a pitching prospect. Santana is more proven than any prospect and Aybar is a heck of a prospect in his own right.

If I'm the Angels, I'm giving up two more good prospects as opposed to Santana because I don't think they can afford to give him up.

Rumors that Lidge would be in the trade.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
If you're going to trade McCarthy, Tejada's one of the few guys who I would consider it.

If I dealt McCarthy I want at least one pitcher coming back. So I'd do it if we moved Uribe and McCarthy and got Cabrera back. Otherwise no deal.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)
Would Miggy be willing to play 3rd base for the Angels, or would Cabrera move over to 3rd base for him?

Don't forget they've got Brandon Wood and the likes of McPherson as well.

Out here it appears the plan would be for Tejada to play 3rd, but obviously talks have not gotten to the point where the Angels have asked him or his agent whether he'd accept that type of move.

They like the idea of Tejada because he's signed for 3 more years at a reasonable price.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 02:24 AM)
If I dealt McCarthy I want at least one pitcher coming back. So I'd do it if we moved Uribe and McCarthy and got Cabrera back. Otherwise no deal.

Looking at the deals being discussed, I'm not so sure that McCarthy and Uribe would be enough. McCarthy doesn't have the same value as E. Santana.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 02:25 AM)
Probably beneficial for both parties if he was moved I would say.

Oh yeah....I was kinda hoping KW would take a shot at him, but I'm sure the price is too high.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
They like the idea of Tejada because he's signed for 3 more years at a reasonable price.

Well it's certainly gotten to the point where they need another big bat in the middle of that lineup.

Anderson just doesn't cut it (and I know you hate that contract of his Jason). :lol:

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
Oh yeah....I was kinda hoping KW would take a shot at him, but I'm sure the price is too high.

Well at least we ended up with someone similar like MacDougall I guess, who has been pitching better than Lidge, but is just more injury prone.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)

That would make things a little better, but I can't see having both Lidge and Ray in the same bullpen considering how good Ray is. It would make no sense since Lidge is going to be making some good money. Unless of course the Orioles just wanted to get Lidge in there, try and straighten him out down the stretch and than turn him over to another team for a few top prospects in the off-season.

In that case I could buy the move. So are we talking Ensberg, Everett, and Lidge (plus a prospect) thats solid. However, I think Ensberg is over-rated (great power, little average) while Everett is a strong defensive player not a good hitter (not a guy I'd get rid of though cause I think he fits nicely in the bottom part of the order). So if I'm the O's and I pull htat deal, I would know that the Angels have interest in Ensberg and would see if I could turn Ensberg into Aybar and than hope in time I could spin Lidge into some quality spects as well.

But Santana and Aybar...thats damn good.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 07:26 PM)
Looking at the deals being discussed, I'm not so sure that McCarthy and Uribe would be enough. McCarthy doesn't have the same value as E. Santana.

I'm not sure if he has the same value, but I'm also not exactly sure that offer is on the table. If it is the O's should pull the trigger.

I also don't think there is a drastic difference between Brandon and Santana (I'd have really said that entering the year) although I'd be the first to admit you got to love Santana's arm and stuff. However, Brandon is real poised and darn good too (imo).

But I'm saying thats what it would take for me to make that move and if they wanted another prospect I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as we aren't talking a darn good one (Tracey is as far as I'd go and this again assumes we get Cabrerra back).

Otherwise I don't think its smart to move a young starter thats going to be in our rotation next year and hopefully for a long time.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 09:30 PM)
I'm a little nervous in this thread....it's 3 admins and a mod.

Allow me to help you out.

If the O's want to trade Tejada for McCarthy and Uribe, I agree with Fathom in a heartbeat.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 09:31 PM)
I'm not sure if he has the same value, but I'm also not exactly sure that offer is on the table. If it is the O's should pull the trigger.

I also don't think there is a drastic difference between Brandon and Santana (I'd have really said that entering the year) although I'd be the first to admit you got to love Santana's arm and stuff. However, Brandon is real poised and darn good too (imo).

But I'm saying thats what it would take for me to make that move and if they wanted another prospect I wouldn't have a problem with that as long as we aren't talking a darn good one (Tracey is as far as I'd go and this again assumes we get Cabrerra back).

Otherwise I don't think its smart to move a young starter thats going to be in our rotation next year and hopefully for a long time.

Perhaps, I haven't seen what you as well as others see in McCarthy. I understand BMAC is a godd pin-point-control kind of pitcher, but if you ask me who should I take if I have a choice among Liriano, Verlander and BMAC, I would select Liriano and Verlander before BMAC.

Tejada is a rare SS stud playing at a very tough position. Given what I desire, no way the O's are willing to accept BMAC and Uribe for Tejada. The Angels' package is better.

I don't think we could compete with the Angels offer; Santana is better than McCarthy, and I wouldn't give up McCarthy for Tejada so I don't understand what the Angels are thinking there. Hopefully Santana wasn't really offered (see McCarthy to Nationals talk earlier in the week) and the Sox could interest Baltimore in a lesser package.

The Astros offer is garbage, imo. Damaged goods (Lidge) or crappy players (Everett). They might all be major leaguers, but I'd rather take my chances with some high ceiling prospects.

Edited by Frankensteiner

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
I don't think we could compete with the Angels offer; Santana is better than McCarthy, and I wouldn't give up McCarthy for Tejada so I don't understand what the Angels are thinking there. Hopefully Santana wasn't really offered (see McCarthy to Nationals talk earlier in the week) and the Sox could interest Baltimore in a lesser package.

The Astros offer is garbage, imo. Damaged goods (Lidge) or crappy players (Everett). They might all be major leaguers, but I'd rather take my chances with some high ceiling prospects.

I don't consider Lidge damaged goods. I do think he needs a cahnge of scenery but the stuff is still there. But in general I think the Astros need to pull the trigger on the proposed deal.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)
Would Miggy be willing to play 3rd base for the Angels, or would Cabrera move over to 3rd base for him?

Don't forget they've got Brandon Wood and the likes of McPherson as well.

If the Angels are smart, and they want Tejada, Brandon Wood can be expendable. That's about the only guy in the big leagues other than ARod who I'd give up on Wood for. A sure thing in exchange for a great prospect? I'd do it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
I don't consider Lidge damaged goods. I do think he needs a cahnge of scenery but the stuff is still there. But in general I think the Astros need to pull the trigger on the proposed deal.

Lidge plus Mazzone? Ouch.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
The only reason I'd be interested in Tejada is that he has 3 years left on his deal at a reasonable price. However, I haven't heard any rumors about the Sox being interested, so it's likely a long shot.

I will say this...no rumors...that's the way KW likes to work. Who heard about MacDougal or Alomar or Thornton before they were dealt? Kurkjian had Macdougal like 2 hours before it happened, but that was it.

And, last thing in this post I will say...Baltimore needs pitching, and veteran pitching might not be a bad thing at all given their staff.

So, if I'm in KW's position, I call up and use the names Garcia/Vazquez, Uribe, and 2 minor leaguers of Baltimore's choosing (Broadway + Fields?) and see if I can win in the bidding. I don't give up more than that (maybe a 3rd prospect not named Sweeney), and I don't allow the names McCarthy or Anderson to be considered, but we could at least get in on the bidding. If other teams outbid us, there's not much we can do, and they'd be hurting themselves more than helping themselves in terms of lost talent. But we really should be in on this, even if we don't have enough to make it happen.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
So, if I'm in KW's position, I call up and use the names Garcia/Vazquez, Uribe, and 2 minor leaguers of Baltimore's choosing (Broadway + Fields?) and see if I can win in the bidding. I don't give up more than that (maybe a 3rd prospect not named Sweeney), and I don't allow the names McCarthy or Anderson to be considered, but we could at least get in on the bidding. If other teams outbid us, there's not much we can do, and they'd be hurting themselves more than helping themselves in terms of lost talent. But we really should be in on this, even if we don't have enough to make it happen.

Tejada would be very intriguing, and I'm with you, it's definitely worth an inquiry.

Tejada is supposed to be a great teammate, in addition to his considerable skills on the diamond. Even though he's been very good, he hasn't been quite the same player since the steroid testing was implemented. His name has come in connection with steroids, by Palmeiro and maybe even Canseco. Not sure about Jose, though. Kenny would have to put in his due diligence on that issue before making a move for him.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
Tejada is supposed to be a great teammate, in addition to his considerable skills on the diamond. Even though he's been very good, he hasn't been quite the same player since the steroid testing was implemented. His name has come in connection with steroids, by Palmeiro and maybe even Canseco. Not sure about Jose, though. Kenny would have to put in his due diligence on that issue before making a move for him.

In Kenny we trust.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
The only reason I'd be interested in Tejada is that he has 3 years left on his deal at a reasonable price. However, I haven't heard any rumors about the Sox being interested, so it's likely a long shot.

The funny thing is that when we haven't heard much about it, that is normally when something happens.