Just what the hell is Milwaukee doing...

Wanne

and not only one of their top prospects...then they do this:

PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Phillies traded third baseman David Bell to the Milwaukee Brewers for a minor-league pitcher Friday night.

Bell, who will be a free agent after this season, was hitting .278 with six home runs and 34 RBI in 91 games. The Phillies got Class A right-hander Wilfrido Laureano. He was 3-2 with a 3.96 ERA in 29 relief appearances for West Virginia of the South Atlantic League.

I'm just really curious as to what Melvin is actually trying to accomplish here.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
The good news is it leaves Philly without a 3B.

So right now, SD and PHI both need 3B for the future. Philly doesn't need one right this minute, but the prospect of SD sniffing around Fields could help drive up his price.

Interesting thought, although there isn't much I'd want from Philly. Something about Abreu just doesn't make me feel right giving much up for him. Could definitely help though.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
Interesting thought, although there isn't much I'd want from Philly. Something about Abreu just doesn't make me feel right giving much up for him. Could definitely help though.

Given his contract, and OBP and SB numbers, I would do Abreu for Fields and Podsednik, but not more on our side unless a lot of money was included.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
Given his contract, and OBP and SB numbers, I would do Abreu for Fields and Podsednik, but not more on our side unless a lot of money was included.

I'm not sure if I would even do that trade, seeing as his numbers have declined this year and that contract is just too big for a question mark. I just wonder if maybe he has passed his prime at 32 years old, because for the past year he has been a different player.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:58 AM)

Seriously though, how great would Abreu be as a leadoff man? He doesn't play great defense (certainly better than Podsednik) but he does have a pretty strong arm with ok accuracy. Just think about how amazing it would be to have a guy with a .280 avg with an insane .429 OBP. He's stolen 20 bases and only been thrown out 4 times the guy is just a smart baserunner, I'll take 20SB and 4 CS over Podsednik's 29 and 12 anyday. Other than the fact that he's making a spiffload of money, the guy would be a perfect leadoff hitter.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 02:48 AM)
Seriously though, how great would Abreu be as a leadoff man? He doesn't play great defense (certainly better than Podsednik) but he does have a pretty strong arm with ok accuracy. Just think about how amazing it would be to have a guy with a .280 avg with an insane .429 OBP. He's stolen 20 bases and only been thrown out 4 times the guy is just a smart baserunner, I'll take 20SB and 4 CS over Podsednik's 29 and 12 anyday. Other than the fact that he's making a spiffload of money, the guy would be a perfect leadoff hitter.

His OBP alone makes him very appealing. Just think of how many extra RBI opportunities Gooch, Thome, and Paulie would get with him leading off. The contract is really his only issue.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 03:17 AM)
His OBP alone makes him very appealing. Just think of how many extra RBI opportunities Gooch, Thome, and Paulie would get with him leading off. The contract is really his only issue.

Unfortunately, Abreu b****es about lead-off and wants to be a 3/4 type hitter. At least, this is what my friends from Philly tell me.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
Unfortunately, Abreu b****es about lead-off and wants to be a 3/4 type hitter. At least, this is what my friends from Philly tell me.

A course going to a team that has a chance to win the WS can always change someones mind about things.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 08:08 AM)
A course going to a team that has a chance to win the WS can always change someones mind about things.

Sure. Just like Javier Vazquez was very excited to join the Sox and move to the AL.

Sometimes players are willing to sacrifice to be on a winner. Sometimes they're not (or in Javy's case, maybe he just knew his limitations).

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 03:17 AM)

It would take a lot of adjusting for me to just get used to looking at him. He's really an extremely ugly man.

I doubt Milwaukee can get a pick since Bell would likely accept arbitration unless he though SD would give him multiple years in the offseason. I guess with Weeks and Hardy out that they wanted another infielder but unless they play Koskie at second and Hall at short (and I don't know off the top of my head if Koskie can play second, it seems odd)

both milwakuee and Texas got what they needed in that trade. Texas has a bunch of good hitters and depth, but they dont have another huge bat to help out texiera, and milwakuee needs depth. i think both those teams will improve off that trade, but why trade for bell. He's old and you have koskie. brewers have no chance this year alos