Padres "focused on Fields"

Gene Honda Civic

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)
We need more than Linebrink for Fields. I'm willing to deal him, but we need more than that. That's all I have to say here.

Our bullpen is pretty solid now. We don't need anymore relief help...so the Padres can keep dreaming.

I really don't care what anyone has to say, this team is solid, from top to bottom. There's really no need to make a deal, this team can win.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 01:31 AM)
I'm not thrilled at all with Linebrink. Can someone enlighten me as to why he is valued so high? I really know little about him other than his numbers are far from flashy and he is 29 years old.

His numbers were pretty darn flashy a week ago. And last year, and the year before that. Still, you gotta worry about this week from hell.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:31 AM)
I'm not thrilled at all with Linebrink. Can someone enlighten me as to why he is valued so high? I really know little about him other than his numbers are far from flashy and he is 29 years old.

How are they "far from flashy"? He's a top 5 righty setup man in baseball, period. He has dominated the National League for the past 3 seasons and has been about as consistent as they come. Take another look at those stats because they don't get much better than that. He's given up 7 runs over his past 4 outings so his numbers aren't going to look great for this season but a week ago he was sporting a 2.62 ERA.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
How are they "far from flashy"? He's a top 5 righty setup man in baseball, period. He has dominated the National League for the past 3 seasons and has been about as consistent as they come. Take another look at those stats because they don't get much better than that. He's given up 7 runs over his past 4 outings so his numbers aren't going to look great for this season but a week ago he was sporting a 2.62 ERA.

Those past few outings must have masked a good overall season. So what else about this guy? What kind of stuff does he have?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)

Mark Buehrle was sporting a top 5 in the AL ERA before his last 5 outings.

Linebrink is currently sporting a 3.72 ERA. That's not great for a National League reliever.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:56 PM)
Mark Buehrle was sporting a top 5 in the AL ERA before his last 5 outings.

Linebrink is currently sporting a 3.72 ERA. That's not great for a National League reliever.

Of course 4 outings for a reliever can be in a week, meaning having a bad week, where with Buehrle thats an entire month of struggling. Not disagreeing with the fact that 3.72 is not great for a NL reliever, or any reliever, just saying that it's not really a fair comparison.

(Oh yeah and I absolutely love this quick edit feature.)

Edited by Jake

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
Of course 4 outings for a reliever can be in a week, meaning having a bad week, where with Buehrle thats an entire month of struggling. Not disagreeing with the fact that 3.72 is not great for a NL reliever, or any reliever, just saying that it's not really a fair comparison.

(Oh yeah and I absolutely love this quick edit feature.)

But the problem of course is, there's no reason to guarantee that the 3.72 is less representative of a reliever's performance in the NL than the 2.60 ERA or whatever it was a week ago. The 2 ERA could have been due to a guy on a hot streak, and he could have done a Vazquez and had a few bad innings to even his numbers out.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:02 AM)
But the problem of course is, there's no reason to guarantee that the 3.72 is less representative of a reliever's performance in the NL than the 2.60 ERA or whatever it was a week ago. The 2 ERA could have been due to a guy on a hot streak, and he could have done a Vazquez and had a few bad innings to even his numbers out.

Fair enough. But previous numbers support my case that it appears the past 4 outings are an abberation not a return to mediocrity from a hot streak. Unless of course you'd like to argue that he's been on a 3 and a half year hot streak that is now coming to an end.

(And FWIW, he is listed as Day-to-Day, citing "personal reasons")

Edited by Jake

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
Fair enough. But previous numbers support my case that it appears the past 4 outings are an abberation not a return to mediocrity from a hot streak. Unless of course you'd like to argue that he's been on a 3 and a half year hot streak that is now coming to an end.

(And FWIW, he is listed as Day-to-Day, citing "personal reasons")

Still, IMO, a top 10 in the league RH setup man is simply not worth a potentially 20-30 home run hitting 3rd baseman who has not yet started his arbitration clock, especially considering that your RHP setup man is close to hitting arbitration years and having his salary go up. Especially with Macx2 and Jenks out there.

If a starting rotation hole were to magically appear along with a monster hitter (say, some random shortstop from Baltimore) due to a trade of an SP and the move of our best starter (BMac) to the starting 5, I could understand a deal like that. But beyond that, it's too high a price.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 12:12 AM)
Still, IMO, a top 10 in the league RH setup man is simply not worth a potentially 20-30 home run hitting 3rd baseman who has not yet started his arbitration clock, especially considering that your RHP setup man is close to hitting arbitration years and having his salary go up. Especially with Macx2 and Jenks out there.

If a starting rotation hole were to magically appear along with a monster hitter (say, some random shortstop from Baltimore) due to a trade of an SP and the move of our best starter (BMac) to the starting 5, I could understand a deal like that. But beyond that, it's too high a price.

Had to highlight the most dangerous word in sports. I do tend to agree with you though, there isn't much of a need for him unless Kenny feels complete distrust in Riske. It seems a Linebrink trade would have to be a deal that would be followed by a deal moving an SP, as you said.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 07:47 AM)
How would people feel about Fields for Linebrink and Carillo now?

Carrillo would be a very nice fit. He could start 2007 in AAA and soon be up if someone got hurt. It would allow BMac to go into the rotation and trade Freddy probably. With the way Cesar mowed down AA hitters in the southern league, I'm sure the sox noticed his pitching. Linebrink comes, maybe Riske goes.

SD is hurting for position prospects-or any other prospects for that matter. Looking at their minor league system, it seems pretty bare.

BTW--I see Carrillo is on the DL with a sore right elbow and may be shut down for the yr. That would effect any potential deal [though the "buy low" aspect of getting Carrillo now has some appeal]. With Carrillo being small [175 lbs] getting hurt won't help quiet the questions of his long term effectiveness throwing in the bigs

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 28, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)

uh, oh, here comes the "last week, before he gave up all those runs, his ERA was..." game. these are always fun.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
Carrillo would be a very nice fit. He could start 2007 in AAA and soon be up if someone got hurt. It would allow BMac to go into the rotation and trade Freddy probably. With the way Cesar mowed down AA hitters in the southern league, I'm sure the sox noticed his pitching. Linebrink comes, maybe Riske goes.

SD is hurting for position prospects-or any other prospects for that matter. Looking at their minor league system, it seems pretty bare.

BTW--I see Carrillo is on the DL with a sore right elbow and may be shut down for the yr. That would effect any potential deal [though the "buy low" aspect of getting Carrillo now has some appeal]. With Carrillo being small [175 lbs] getting hurt won't help quiet the questions of his long term effectiveness throwing in the bigs

You could actually probably get a decent prospect from someone like the Rockies if you traded Riske to them. I still have concerns over his K/BB ratio over the long - term.

I just get the feeling with Fields, the hot streak is finished, and he's coming back to hitting to where he probably will be in the future.

With Betamit being traded to the Dodgers, and David Bell also off the market, Kevin Towers may now decide, "Hey if I want Fields, I'm gonna hav to pay over the odds a little for him".

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
uh, oh, here comes the "last week, before he gave up all those runs, his ERA was..." game. these are always fun.

I think if you look at what he's done over the past few seasons, most experts know that he's just in a slump right now, and hey so is Trevor Hoffman for that matter.

Regardless of this deal, it appears the White Sox are unwilling to move Josh Fields. What does this say about the future of Joe Crede ??? With Scott Boras as Crede's agent, and Fields the top positional prospect in the minors, I get the impression that Kenny Williams may do, in the off-season, what he did with Contreras/Garland - offer a 3-4 year extension, and see if he takes it; otherwise, his future is in doubt.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:53 AM)
Regardless of this deal, it appears the White Sox are unwilling to move Josh Fields. What does this say about the future of Joe Crede ??? With Scott Boras as Crede's agent, and Fields the top positional prospect in the minors, I get the impression that Kenny Williams may do, in the off-season, what he did with Contreras/Garland - offer a 3-4 year extension, and see if he takes it; otherwise, his future is in doubt.

Fields is KW's only bargaining chip on Crede. If Fields goes, Boras can rip the Sox for everything they're worth. What adds to this thought is that Fields hasn't been moved to left field, despite a relative need for a left fielder.

I think KW is wary of negotiating with Boras, and doesn't want to get left in the cold if things go wrong.