Padres "focused on Fields"

Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(G&T @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
Fields is KW's only bargaining chip on Crede. If Fields goes, Boras can rip the Sox for everything they're worth. What adds to this thought is that Fields hasn't been moved to left field, despite a relative need for a left fielder.

I think KW is wary of negotiating with Boras, and doesn't want to get left in the cold if things go wrong.

Very true - I think Crede's future could be determined on what happens (or doesn't happen) with Fields.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 02:47 AM)
How would people feel about Fields for Linebrink and Carillo now?

I'd do it. We would just have to get something more than Linebring for a couple reasons. Linebrink's value has to have been lowered by his play of late, and the Padres don't have anyone else to target in the MLB basically besides Fields.

And if this meant McCarthy goes to the rotation in place of Garcia, and we can possibly get Crisp (?!), then do it now.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 03:47 AM)
How would people feel about Fields for Linebrink and Carillo now?

If the Padres would go for Linebrink and Kottaras, I'd pull the trigger on that instantly. If they offered Linebrink and Carillo I'd ask for Chase Headley as well. He's an intriguing 3B prospect with good plate discipline and starting to develop more power this year. His timeline sets him up to be ready right when Crede hits free agency.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
Why do people think we'd get more for Fields than just Linebrink?

If another team is "focused" on a player you have that you don't need to move, you should have a lot of leverage in trade talks.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)

Probably because he's a middle reliever....

I agree with you though; I think Linebrink would be about it. Middle relievers are in high demand.

Personally, I wouldn't trade for anymore relievers, and really, I think this is our pitching staff for the rest of the season.

I like the MacDougle pickup....Cotts/Thorton/MacDougle/McCarthy plus Jenks is a pretty solid 5 options to go with, and Ozzie does like to pitch his starters 6+ innings usually.

QUOTE(G&T @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
Fields is KW's only bargaining chip on Crede. If Fields goes, Boras can rip the Sox for everything they're worth. What adds to this thought is that Fields hasn't been moved to left field, despite a relative need for a left fielder.

I think KW is wary of negotiating with Boras, and doesn't want to get left in the cold if things go wrong.

I can't remember where I heard this, but Crede insisted that Boras wouldn't ruin negotiations between him and the White Sox. Isn't Uribe a Boras client as well? We signed him to a contract extension, so it can be done.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
I can't remember where I heard this, but Crede insisted that Boras wouldn't ruin negotiations between him and the White Sox. Isn't Uribe a Boras client as well? We signed him to a contract extension, so it can be done.

We can only hope....

I believe Uribe dropped Boras in order to sign a deal with the Sox. That is why he's one of my favorite players.

I don't get this for San Diego. They're going to trade their top setup man for a minor leaguer and then bring him up immediately to play 3rd for their stretch run? That's about the last thing I'd want is a dude adjusting to the majors while I'm fighting for a playoff spot (cue BA jokes).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
I believe Uribe dropped Boras in order to sign a deal with the Sox. That is why he's one of my favorite players.

Uribe fired Boras almost immediately after being traded from the Rockies to Sox.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 07:25 AM)
I think if you look at what he's done over the past few seasons, most experts know that he's just in a slump right now, and hey so is Trevor Hoffman for that matter.

Exactly, only looking at a players overall season stats for one year is pretty short sighted in my opinion. A pitcher can have a great week or two and completely skew his numbers as well and if you're only looking at season stats you're not going to see the full picture. The guy has been stellar for the past two seasons and this year as well up until this past week. But I guess he sucks because his ERA is in the 3's for the season.

Linebrink has been really solid over the last few years. Probably one of the best relief pitchers based off numbers from 2003-2005.

The only odd thing about Linebrink is that he is only average vs RH Batters and awesome vs LH Batters. Which is weird for a RHP.

LH Batters- .218 BAA Lifetime, .192 BAA - 2006

RH Batters- .264 BAA Lifetime, .305 BAA - 2006

I know, I've read that too, but there's nothing that indicates to me that KW wants to take any chances and I don't blame him. In the Tribune today it says that Fields has been in the outfield a little bit, but won't get any real work until next year. I'd look for a multiyear offer this off season for Crede.

I like the Linebrink and Carillo for Fields. I'm still not sold on Josh and if we can get some value out of him like those two then I'm all for it. If Kenny really wants Linebrink, it seems as if since there aren't any good starting pitchers available that he's trying to make our bullpen the best in the league.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 11:06 AM)
But I guess he sucks because his ERA is in the 3's for the season.

Obviously he doesn't suck, but he could be injured for all anyone knows given his current slump.

Linebrink is good, but I think there are a couple of reasons why he's not a great fit for the Sox. He has a groundball to fly ratio of around 0.8 for his career (not great for the Cell). And he's a RHP that is having trouble getting out right-handed hitters (.830 OPS). That means Ozzie will use him in completely the wrong way (i.e. bring him in to face the toughest righties...)

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)

Linebrink's innings in the pen the past few years [iIRC over 80 the last three yrs] make him a prime candidate to get injured / lose his stuff. If the pads are all set on trading him, that's a red flag there.

But Fields is a guy with good pop and hit for avg who plays a premium position. There are a lot of teams that could use Fields for 3b on their team for the next 10 yrs.

The sox should be able to get a top prospect along with Linebrink. Maybe not one as close to the majors as Carrillo though.

This team does not need another reliever, especially if it means trading fields. I guess it wouldnt hurt having a little more help but IMO not at that price tag.Fields is a blue chip prospect who has potential to start everyday. Who knows whats gonna happen with joe. You saw what our bullpen can do last night if our starters can give us quality outings and hand the ball to cotts,MacD, Thornton,Jenks. The question here is our starting pitching. Who cares if our bullpen is the best in the league. It doesnt matter if our starters cant get the ball to them in good situations. Buerhle is awful, Vaz blows until ozzie knows how to use him, and Garcia still scares me cuz he lost 5 mph on his fastball. The upgrade i can see ( which has been stated numerous times) is moving mccarthy into the rotation and vaz to the pen becuase he can give us a couple solid innings before he breaks down. Plus im apprehensive to make this move especially with linebrinks strugles right recently. Seems like pads Gm knows something we dont. ie: Mike Sirotka for Boomer Wells

QUOTE(G&T @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
I know, I've read that too, but there's nothing that indicates to me that KW wants to take any chances and I don't blame him. In the Tribune today it says that Fields has been in the outfield a little bit, but won't get any real work until next year. I'd look for a multiyear offer this off season for Crede.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I think that the White Sox will make a mulityear offer this off-season to Crede. If the talks don't go anywhere, then Williams may have a decision to make as Boras' players will enter free agency the following season.