Padres "focused on Fields"

Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Dan Pasqua @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
This team does not need another reliever, especially if it means trading fields. I guess it wouldnt hurt having a little more help but IMO not at that price tag.Fields is a blue chip prospect who has potential to start everyday. Who knows whats gonna happen with joe. You saw what our bullpen can do last night if our starters can give us quality outings and hand the ball to cotts,MacD, Thornton,Jenks. The question here is our starting pitching. Who cares if our bullpen is the best in the league. It doesnt matter if our starters cant get the ball to them in good situations. Buerhle is awful, Vaz blows until ozzie knows how to use him, and Garcia still scares me cuz he lost 5 mph on his fastball. The upgrade i can see ( which has been stated numerous times) is moving mccarthy into the rotation and vaz to the pen becuase he can give us a couple solid innings before he breaks down. Plus im apprehensive to make this move especially with linebrinks strugles right recently. Seems like pads Gm knows something we dont. ie: Mike Sirotka for Boomer Wells

As mentioned earlier, it would surely be a precursor to another deal. With the addition of Linebrink, as you pointed out, our pen would be overflowing with arms. We'd need to move one of those arms either in a trade or, more likely, into the rotation (BMAC). So your pen is set, your rotation now has 6 pitchers. One of them would be dealt, hopefully Freddy or Vaz. So your pen is stronger, your rotation is stronger (should be), and you're probably going to get back a pretty nice offensive contributor for a SP in this market. Assuming this is the plan, I deal Fields straight up for Linebrink.

If for whatever reason this wouldn't serve as a precursor to another move, there's no way I make this deal.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
As mentioned earlier, it would surely be a precursor to another deal. With the addition of Linebrink, as you pointed out, our pen would be overflowing with arms. We'd need to move one of those arms either in a trade or, more likely, into the rotation (BMAC). So your pen is set, your rotation now has 6 pitchers. One of them would be dealt, hopefully Freddy or Vaz. So your pen is stronger, your rotation is stronger (should be), and you're probably going to get back a pretty nice offensive contributor for a SP in this market. Assuming this is the plan, I deal Fields straight up for Linebrink.

If for whatever reason this wouldn't serve as a precursor to another move, there's no way I make this deal.

How bout:

Fields

McCarthy

Vazquez

for

Peavy

Carillo

Headley

If the Pad's were talking to the red sox about a Peavy for Lowell swap, this wouldn't be out of bounds by any means. Pads get three major league ready guys and the Sox get Peavy, a top prospect, and mid level prospect to come up and fill Fields's spot in the system

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
How bout:

Fields

McCarthy

Vazquez

for

Peavy

Carillo

Headley

If the Pad's were talking to the red sox about a Peavy for Lowell swap, this wouldn't be out of bounds by any means. Pads get three major league ready guys and the Sox get Peavy, a top prospect, and mid level prospect to come up and fill Fields's spot in the system

in a heartbeat

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
Jake Peavy would fit in well with this group. Another pitcher above his career numbers.

I can see it now, "this guy just needs to pitch up to his potential and we'll be fine."

I think in Peavy's case he's not 100%. When on I take Peavy in a heart beat though and I wouldn't be opposed to trying to get him while his value is down. However, the Pads are going to be counting on him to improve if they are going to make any noise in the playoffs (if they hold there lead).