Zito?

YASNY

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
In order to get Zito, I'm sure guys like Fields and Broadway were the prospects involved. You're not getting Zito for Garcia and Owens, etc.

Yup, and it would be a rental. Zito's agent is Boras, and he will get top dollar on the FA market. So we would be taking on salary as well if we wanted to keep him.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
Nobody wants Owens. I would suspect his value in trade is almost nothing. More of a toss-in than anything else.

I disagree, his value is nowhere near last year, but his average is climbing, and i cant imagine that he would be a totally worthless player in 2 years.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
I disagree, his value is nowhere near last year, but his average is climbing, and i cant imagine that he would be a totally worthless player in 2 years.

I find it hard to believe that Owens would be a vital part of this, or any other trade. He's not nearly as good as some people seem to think he is.

I guess he was almost the starting CF and ROY for us, though.

I can't believe someone actually thought that.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)
I find it hard to believe that Owens would be a vital part of this, or any other trade. He's not nearly as good as some people seem to think he is.

I guess he was almost the starting CF and ROY for us, though.

I can't believe someone actually thought that.

Anyone who's described as a lesser hitting Willie Harris = superstar in my book.

I don't see Beane being interested in Owens, he doesn't have a high on-base percentage, and he's only hitting .266 in AAA. His 35 stolen bases may look appealing to some teams, but not to Beane.

If we could end up getting Zito with only dealing either Broadway or Fields (not both) then throwing in a prospect in low-A I'd be all for it. (Plus Garcia or Vazquez)

Edited by CWSOX45

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
Anyone who's described as a lesser hitting Willie Harris = superstar in my book.

It's just the way our prospects are overrated here. Every time some scrub prospect is traded away, there's a bunch of people talking about how it's going to bite us in the ass. It seems to me that the prospects we trade away usually amount to nothing special.

Who is the last White Sox prospect that was traded away that turned out to be a really good player?

Owens, like most Sox propsects, will be lucky to be someone's 4th OFer one day.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
It's just the way our prospects are overrated here. Every time some scrub prospect is traded away, there's a bunch of people talking about how it's going to bite us in the ass. It seems to me that the prospects we trade away usually amount to nothing special.

Who is the last White Sox prospect that was traded away that turned out to be a really good player?

Owens, like most Sox propsects, will be lucky to be someone's 4th OFer one day.

Jeremy Reed

QUOTE(Whitewashed in @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)
One of our starters plus a top prospect for someone whose going to leave at the end of the year is too much.

Why? Our starters suck (at least the ones rumored to be involved in this deal). Zito would help us much more than the garbage of Garcia/Vazquez. Zito pitches well for us hopefully for the rest of the year, maybe we win it all again, he leaves for free agency, and we plug McCarthy into his rotation spot next year and we still have 5 starters.

A prospect is worthless to our team this year, so who gives a spiff. Like I've said before, it's not like any of the prospects we trade away end up biting us in the ass later. If it happens this one time, then OH NOES!

After this three game set in Baltimore, I can't honestly say that I think the Sox will make the playoffs with this current starting rotation. I think Kenny Williams has to be willing to overpay (obviously with a limit) to get this guy.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
After this three game set in Baltimore, I can't honestly say that I think the Sox will make the playoffs with this current starting rotation. I think Kenny Williams has to be willing to overpay (obviously with a limit) to get this guy.

You can't do it. Not when Zito is a free agent at the end of the season.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)

So we let the season go down the toilet because we're not willing to part with a couple of prospects? How many chances are we going to get with this team?

The only way I see Vazquez heading to Oakland is if we're prepared to pick up a significant chunk of his contract. Small market A's aren't going to want a $12M bust.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)

Who cares? You get rid of one of Vaz/Garcia and free up a boat load of cash. Rent Zito and let him go at the end of the year and insert Mac. It makes perfect fishing sense.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
Who cares? You get rid of one of Vaz/Garcia and free up a boat load of cash. Rent Zito and let him go at the end of the year and insert Mac. It makes perfect fishing sense.

You would not be freeing up any money, the Sox would have to pick up most all of either's contract. Plus you're more than likely sending Fields/McCarthy to Oakland, you have to top a package that is centered around Milledge and basically that's the only way you're going to do it.