Zito?

YASNY

EVERYONE in the baseball industry knows that Zito won't sign during the season. I'll be shocked if he doesn't end up in NY next season.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
Ahh, so you were being sarcastic?

Unless we unloaded like 2 or 3 high-priced players from the team, it would be very hard for Zito to fit into the budget.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
Who are you, Ron Schuler?

The season is at a breaking point, it can either go up or down. As it looks, it's going down. So why not make a move that'll help it go up as well as get rid of a pitcher that not only isn't wanted this season, but next year too.

And give up top prospects as well? It's not happening.

And it's not as if the Sox haven't dealt with Boras before. The Sox just aren't in the field of paying 20 million for a player that isn't that good and is only a chamber of financial ruin. (But apparently they are in the field of paying 11 million dollars to guys with ERA's near 5.)

Zito is not gonna sign with us. There's no use even talking about it.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
EVERYONE in the baseball industry knows that Zito won't sign during the season. I'll be shocked if he doesn't end up in NY next season.

Exactly, he will without a doubt hit the market. He's looking at 5 years $70M in free agency.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
Twist my words any way you like.

I thought you meant that re-signing Zito wouldn't be impossible because payroll isn't too big of an issue. You said that money isn't an issue anymore. I'm not sure how else I should take that statement.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
I'm not going to give up a couple top prospects and eat a ton of salary for a 2 month rental because he's the tallest midget.

Well, the alternative is to pee away the season while our pitchers try and figure out what's wrong. I don't want to watch that for the rest of the year because Lance Broadway express might hit the Cell 2 years from now with a 4.5 ERA.

Also, I can't for the life me imagine why someone who is willing to give up Josh Fields for Scott friggin' Linebrink wouldn't want to give up Fields and Broadway for Zito.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
Zito is not gonna sign with us. There's no use even talking about it.

I never said he would re-sign with the Sox. I never even implied the Sox would try. Any way you look at it one of the five current starters has to get the ole boot out of town to put McCarthy in the rotation in '07. I could care less what happens to Josh Fields or Lance Broadway in 3 or 4 years, what I know now is that they aren't doing spiff for the Sox.

Should I go get the bucket of tears from when Reed and Olivo were traded for Garcia? Good god.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
Also, I can't for the life me imagine why someone who is willing to give up Josh Fields for Scott friggin' Linebrink wouldn't want to give up Fields and Broadway for Zito.

I never said that I would trade Fields for Linebrink straight up.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
Well, the alternative is to pee away the season while our pitchers try and figure out what's wrong. I don't want to watch that for the rest of the year because Lance Broadway express might hit the Cell 2 years from now with a 4.5 ERA.

First, Linebrink has an option for next year. KW's recent moves show he's trying to load up our relief core for a few years. And in regards to peeing away our season, I think KW/Ozzie are going to live and die with the 25 man roster we have right now. One of the hardest things to do as a GM or Manager is to admit that something isn't working or someone might be a bad fit.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
I thought you meant that re-signing Zito wouldn't be impossible because payroll isn't too big of an issue. You said that money isn't an issue anymore. I'm not sure how else I should take that statement.

I meant it in terms of taking on SMART contracts. I'd like to have Zito for the remaining two months of the season, but unless the Sox can get actual face value (I.E. not a five year contract for 10+ million/year) for his services in the re-sign department, I wouldn't even bother to try and keep him.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)
I meant it in terms of taking on SMART contracts. I'd like to have Zito for the remaining two months of the season, but unless the Sox can get actual face value (I.E. not a five year contract for 10+ million/year) for his services in the re-sign department, I wouldn't even bother to try and keep him.

Ok, fair enough. However, Zito could tear his labrum tomorrow, and he'd still likely get over 10 million per year. I think he'll get a 4 yr, 60 mil contract this offseason.

Zito would be a rent-a-player. Who cares if we end up eating some of Javy's contract. Arizona and New York already are eating alot of it. If Oakland wants Javy, they can have him. Throw in a prospect and were good to go. With this case Beane hase a replacement for Zito as he leaves for free agency next year and we'll just rent Zito as we can then plug BMac into the 2007 rotation. THis trade makes sense for both clubs.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
Zito would be a rent-a-player. Who cares if we end up eating some of Javy's contract. Arizona and New York already are eating alot of it. If Oakland wants Javy, they can have him. Throw in a prospect and were good to go. With this case Beane hase a replacement for Zito as he leaves for free agency next year and we'll just rent Zito as we can then plug BMac into the 2007 rotation. THis trade makes sense for both clubs.

1.) "Arizona and New York already are eating alot of it." - Some day people will realize that this is not true.

2.) Vazquez plus "a prospect" is not getting it done. It would take Vazquez + the Sox eating ALL of his contract + I'd say Bmac for Zito.

You have to top Milledge and I really think McCarthy is the only way you can do it.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
I never said he would re-sign with the Sox. I never even implied the Sox would try. Any way you look at it one of the five current starters has to get the ole boot out of town to put McCarthy in the rotation in '07. I could care less what happens to Josh Fields or Lance Broadway in 3 or 4 years, what I know now is that they aren't doing spiff for the Sox.

If they really want to trade Vazquez, they'll do it in the off-season when it makes more sense. There's nobody out there they can realistically get that's better than Javy now.

Should I go get the bucket of tears from when Reed and Olivo were traded for Garcia? Good god.

I have no idea what you're talking about here.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
If they really want to trade Vazquez, they'll do it in the off-season when it makes more sense. There's nobody out there they can realistically get that's better than Javy now.

Think what you must.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
I have no idea what you're talking about here.

I'm talking about how people like to overrate prospects. Until the Sox get nailed like San Fran and trade away Nathan and Liriano for Pierzynski, I say keep trading them.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
Think what you must.

I'm talking about how people like to overrate prospects. Until the Sox get nailed like San Fran and trade away Nathan and Liriano for Pierzynski, I say keep trading them.

Who's overrating them? Is overrating them not wanting to lose them for a player that we would have little to no chance of resigning after the season? A guy that hasn't come anywhere close to repeating his career season FOUR years ago? A guy that would in no way guarantee us a spot in the playoffs?

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
Who's overrating them? Is overrating them not wanting to lose them for a player that we would have little to no chance of resigning after the season? A guy that hasn't come anywhere close to repeating his career season FOUR years ago? A guy that would in no way guarantee us a spot in the playoffs?

Yep, we can get a better fit for the next few years if we wait until the offseason to trade Fields/Broadway.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
1.) "Arizona and New York already are eating alot of it." - Some day people will realize that this is not true.

2.) Vazquez plus "a prospect" is not getting it done. It would take Vazquez + the Sox eating ALL of his contract + I'd say Bmac for Zito.

You have to top Milledge and I really think McCarthy is the only way you can do it.

then how much of Javy's contract are we paying for actually?

FWIW, the Sox would probably get two draft picks for Zito, as (if the trade went through), the Sox would almost definitely offer him arbitration.

In essence, the trade would be:

Two-three months of Barry Zito + two top 40 draft picks

for

Garcia + Cash + Broadway + Fields (minimum)

I think the better bet would be waiting in the offseason to deal Fields. The Sox have two known teams who are after Fields in San Diego and Philly. Make one of those teams pay a bunch for the guy they percieve as their future thirdbaseman.

I really want to wake up tomorrow and see that the Sox have traded a combination of Haeger/Phillips and maybe Owens (??? -- a lesser prospect is what I'm getting at) for Brady Clark.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 06:05 PM)
FWIW, the Sox would probably get two draft picks for Zito, as (if the trade went through), the Sox would almost definitely offer him arbitration.

In essence, the trade would be:

Two-three months of Barry Zito + two top 40 draft picks

for

Garcia + Cash + Broadway + Fields (minimum)

I think the better bet would be waiting in the offseason to deal Fields. The Sox have two known teams who are after Fields in San Diego and Philly. Make one of those teams pay a bunch for the guy they percieve as their future thirdbaseman.

I really want to wake up tomorrow and see that the Sox have traded a combination of Haeger/Phillips and maybe Owens (??? -- a lesser prospect is what I'm getting at) for Brady Clark.

I am right with you on all of this especially the last part. Brady Clark is the 1 player out there who I think fits this team ridiculously well and fills 2 huge needs for the team, possibly 3. He'd be a steady righthand bat off the bench, fill the 4th OF role and could possibly start over Pods if that's something Ozzie wanted to do.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
I am right with you on all of this especially the last part. Brady Clark is the 1 player out there who I think fits this team ridiculously well and fills 2 huge needs for the team, possibly 3. He'd be a steady righthand bat off the bench, fill the 4th OF role and could possibly start over Pods if that's something Ozzie wanted to do.

We have a good right handed bat off the Bench...Brian Anderson. He only is allowed to play 2/3 of the games each series, so that covers a lot of it.

(mainly this post is just me being annoyed at Mack getting the start today.)

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
The way things look now, we're not going to have much money at all to spend to upgrade the team. I believe we already have about 100 million locked up in 13 players.

Fathom, WTF are you talking about?

Look here at the Sox payroll info -- it's not even close to $100 million locked up in 13 players. I don't know where the hell you pulled that number from...