Zito?

YASNY

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
Fathom, WTF are you talking about?

Look here at the Sox payroll info -- it's not even close to $100 million locked up in 13 players. I don't know where the hell you pulled that number from...

There was an article in the Tribune over a month ago which went into detail about the Sox financial situation. In the article, it said that the Sox might have to trade some players in the offseason in order to clear up payroll for next season. The article mentioned how a lot of guys were already signed for next year, and it was above 90 million was what they stated.

After reviewing that page, there's a lot of errors. Examples are Dye's not making only 1 million next year, same with Buehrle.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
There was an article in the Tribune over a month ago which went into detail about the Sox financial situation. In the article, it said that the Sox might have to trade some players in the offseason in order to clear up payroll for next season. The article mentioned how a lot of guys were already signed for next year, and it was above 90 million was what they stated.

After reviewing that page, there's a lot of errors. Examples are Dye's not making only 1 million next year, same with Buehrle.

I realize there are errors, but it works both ways. The page also has Thome making $14, when he's really only making $7. It also has Vazquez making the full $12.5 -- I believe it's only $9-10.

Here's the 13 highest paid players on the Sox:

2007 Salary

Buehrle - 9.5

Contreras - 9

Garcia - 10

Garland - 10

Konerko - 12

Vazquez - 10

Dye - 6.5

Thome - 7

Pierzynski - 5.5

Uribe - 4.15

Crede - ???

Iguchi - 3.25

Mackowiak - 2.5

So you're estimate was closer than I thought, but it's still at about $95 million (I'm giving Crede about $6 million). In itself, I guess you were right, but that doesn't include the fact that the Sox will probably be shedding $10 million with the trade of Vazquez/Garcia, and adding in McCarthy.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
So you're estimate was closer than I thought, but it's still at about $95 million (I'm giving Crede about $6 million). In itself, I guess you were right, but that doesn't include the fact that the Sox will probably be shedding $10 million with the trade of Vazquez/Garcia, and adding in McCarthy.

And that's exactly what I was referring to. We're going to have to unload some salary to add parts this offseason.

While Zito might not be a great starter he's still pretty damn good and would easily be our 2nd best sp at the moment. I'm sorry but it's not fair to judge the guy from what he's been since 02 considering you then throw out his best season but his worst season which was clearly an aberration is still in that mix. Zito has had one below average season in career and besides that he's been pretty damn good. As far as the ballpark argument goes, well he has a better era away from Oakland than he does at home. If we could somehow get him without trading Brandon McCarthy then I hope KW jumps all over it.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
While Zito might not be a great starter he's still pretty damn good and would easily be our 2nd best sp at the moment. I'm sorry but it's not fair to judge the guy from what he's been since 02 considering you then throw out his best season but his worst season which was clearly an aberration is still in that mix. Zito has had one below average season in career and besides that he's been pretty damn good. As far as the ballpark argument goes, well he has a better era away from Oakland than he does at home. If we could somehow get him without trading Brandon McCarthy then I hope KW jumps all over it.

He will drive your ass nuts with the walks, he's similar to Contreras at the beginning of last season, you just know he's going to go ou there and walk 3-4 guys a game, constantly getting into jams. He's walked 66 batters this year, that's 2nd in the AL only to Daniel Cabrera. Also, I don't see any way you can get him without giving up McCarthy.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)
He will drive your ass nuts with the walks, he's similar to Contreras at the beginning of last season, you just know he's going to go ou there and walk 3-4 guys a game, constantly getting into jams. He's walked 66 batters this year, that's 2nd in the AL only to Daniel Cabrera. Also, I don't see any way you can get him without giving up McCarthy.

I know he's walked a ton this year but he's still found a way to get out of it. I'll agree that he'd most likely drive me nuts with the walks but it'd be worth it because he would be our 2nd best starter with ease this season. If it took McCarthy to get him then fine no deal but if there is a way to get him with out giving up Brandon we really have to try imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 07:16 PM)
I know he's walked a ton this year but he's still found a way to get out of it. I'll agree that he'd most likely drive me nuts with the walks but it'd be worth it because he would be our 2nd best starter with ease this season. If it took McCarthy to get him then fine no deal but if there is a way to get him with out giving up Brandon we really have to try imo.

Would you do this deal?

Vazquez + $15M cash + Broadway + Fields for Zito?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
Would you do this deal?

No I wouldn't. For one of of those spects though, I really would. I just think the Zito gives us such a better chance to win the world series than we have now.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 06:52 PM)
I realize there are errors, but it works both ways. The page also has Thome making $14, when he's really only making $7. It also has Vazquez making the full $12.5 -- I believe it's only $9-10.

Here's the 13 highest paid players on the Sox:

2007 Salary

Buehrle - 9.5

Contreras - 9

Garcia - 10

Garland - 10

Konerko - 12

Vazquez - 10

Dye - 6.5

Thome - 7

Pierzynski - 5.5

Uribe - 4.15

Crede - ???

Iguchi - 3.25

Mackowiak - 2.5

Is some team really doing to be stupid enough to take Vazquez or Garcia off of our hands without us eating a decent chunk of their salary?

I don't think anyone will. To get rid of either of them, we'll have to throw some money the other team's way, too.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
Would you do this deal?

So, basically, we'd be giving up all that for 2 months of a pitcher and 2 draft picks. I just don't like the price for a Zito when the chances of resigning him are absolutely zero.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:26 PM)
Is some team really doing to be stupid enough to take Vazquez or Garcia off of our hands without us eating a decent chunk of their salary?

I don't think anyone will. To get rid of either of them, we'll have to throw some money the other team's way, too.

Someone will take them if offered. Especially if somehow either one of them happened to have a good end to this season, but if you put them out there, someone will take them. Especially Garcia - veteran pitcher, with good history, bad 06 season, but expiring contract? If Garcia keeps struggling, he won't be getting us a young Pujols back in trade, but he'll be moveable.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)

Why wouldn't someone take Garcia? He's got the notion as a "big game pitcher", his contract is pretty reasonable considering the market, and his ERA isn't brutal this year; we all expected better than 4.85, but that isn't awful. In the NL, He's probably a 3.90 ERA guy who will give you innings -- that's valuable. I doubt the Sox would get a Mark Mulder type package, but I think we can grab two B-grade prospects.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
Why wouldn't someone take Garcia? He's got the notion as a "big game pitcher", his contract is pretty reasonable considering the market, and his ERA isn't brutal this year; we all expected better than 4.85, but that isn't awful. In the NL, He's probably a 3.90 ERA guy who will give you innings -- that's valuable. I doubt the Sox would get a Mark Mulder type package, but I think we can grab two B-grade prospects.

Hey, I hope you're right. I just don't think someone's going to take all of his contract.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
Hey, I hope you're right. I just don't think someone's going to take all of his contract.

All of his contract meaning 10 million next year, which really isn't that much for a pitcher of his quality.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)

Pitching, even pitchers coming off of bad years, is in such high demand, that unless the contract is stupidly large, ARod-large, someone would take a gamble on him. The only question is what we can get back, and that comes down to how Garcia pitches for the rest of the season and how desperate another team is to make a run next year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)

hmmm...

I can't believe no one has said COOP CAN FIX HIM

:lol: