Mackowiak

Jake

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
I dont know why we keep trotting Mack in center. I know we are not making moves but we need an OF in our bench.

We don't need an OF on our bench...we need to stop putting our best defensive outfielder on the bench.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
We don't need an OF on our bench...we need to stop putting our best defensive outfielder on the bench.

That's not going to happen. Ozzie will continue to sit Brian once every 3 games like he has for most of the season so it's KW's job to cater to Ozzie's idiocy. You give him a guy who actually knows how to play defense in CF and can hit a little, you force Ozzie to put a good defensive player out there at a key position day in and day out.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
That's not going to happen. Ozzie will continue to sit Brian once every 3 games like he has for most of the season so it's KW's job to cater to Ozzie's idiocy. You give him a guy who actually knows how to play defense in CF and can hit a little, you force Ozzie to put a good defensive player out there at a key position day in and day out.

So you'd be advocating finding another CF just so that Ozzie might stop playing Mack out there?

Hmm, this makes a strange amount of sense...and is probably as good of a justification for replacing Brian as I've seen (and about the only one IMO).

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
So you'd be advocating finding another CF just so that Ozzie might stop playing Mack out there?

Hmm, this makes a strange amount of sense...and is probably as good of a justification for replacing Brian as I've seen (and about the only one IMO).

I took his comment to mean that we should acquire a backup OF that could play a good CF, but maybe I'm wrong. I definitely don't advocate replacing Brian and I think Brian needs little to no days off.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
I took his comment to mean that we should acquire a backup OF that could play a good CF, but maybe I'm wrong. I definitely don't advocate replacing Brian and I think Brian needs little to no days off.

Well, the way I read/figure it, Ozzie has for some reason decided that Brian must sit at least 1 out of every 3 days and Mack must play CF that day. This costs us, roughly, 1 out of every 3 games, at least indirectly, as with today. In other words, the only way Ozzie will stop this is to remove one part of his calculation; if Brian is not there, Ozzie can not bench Brian. Therefore, if Brian were out of the way, and another CF option were there, perhaps the chain in Ozzie's head that requires Mack in CF 1 out of every 3 games might be broken.

Yeah, it's stupid. But it's no where near as stupid as playing Mack in CF.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
Well, the way I read/figure it, Ozzie has for some reason decided that Brian must sit at least 1 out of every 3 days and Mack must play CF that day. This costs us, roughly, 1 out of every 3 games, at least indirectly, as with today. In other words, the only way Ozzie will stop this is to remove one part of his calculation; if Brian is not there, Ozzie can not bench Brian. Therefore, if Brian were out of the way, and another CF option were there, perhaps the chain in Ozzie's head that requires Mack in CF 1 out of every 3 games might be broken.

I've told myself that same rational on a few ocassions already. I never thought too highly of BA when he was coming through the system but thats all changed since he joined the club. I really think he's the real deal and with all the progress he's making I have no idea why we continue to play a worthless defensive CF out there a few games a week.

I understand sitting BA against tough righties, but Bruce Chen (a sucky lefty)??? I don't follow, especially when our pitching has sucked horribly and we need to do all we can to not give up runs because its a lot better to minimize other teams runs than to have to score 10 to win.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 07:44 PM)
I understand sitting BA against tough righties, but Bruce Chen (a sucky lefty)??? I don't follow, especially when our pitching has sucked horribly and we need to do all we can to not give up runs because its a lot better to minimize other teams runs than to have to score 10 to win.

I don't think I like BA sitting against tough righties anyway, first and foremost because he's been hitting everyone lately, secondly because our team seems to do better against righties this year than lefties anyway (Iguchi, Thome), but far and away, because if we're facing a good pitcher, every run we give up is going to be magnified because their pitcher isn't going to give up that many, and having 2-3 extra balls drop in and around our center fielder is just going to make it harder to win games.

It seems every ball that falls in Center Field when Mack is in there costs us 2x as much as every hit that Mack gets helps us. Today, prime example. One hit from Mack, but the 2 balls that fell in CF that Anderson would have had easily wound up costing at least 1 run. I honestly am hoping Mack will go into a slump soon just so he stops getting playing time out there.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)

So, getting rid of our mediocre overall, defensive stud CF for a mediocre all-around CF in order to have an outside chance (see 0%) of a poor defender never playing CF is not as stupid as playing the poor defender in CF every 4 games? I'm thinking you're alone on that call.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)

It seems every ball that falls in Center Field when Mack is in there costs us 2x as much as every hit that Mack gets helps us. Today, prime example. One hit from Mack, but the 2 balls that fell in CF that Anderson would have had easily wound up costing at least 1 run. I honestly am hoping Mack will go into a slump soon just so he stops getting playing time out there.

I agree with you there, Anderson have the best chance to catch the balls in CF today. I cant understand why Ozzie keeps putting Mack in CF, he cant play CF! Keep Brian playing regularly, maybe he can get consistent at bats and get his bat going. I dont understand why he has to sit against a tough righty anyway, when can he learn to hit them then. Besides I thought Ozzie preach about having confidence in his players. Is sitting him against tough righty giving confidence?

Ozzie said Brian has not caused us to lose ball games with his defense but I think Mack in CF does so stop putting him out there.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
I agree with you there, Anderson have the best chance to catch the balls in CF today. I cant understand why Ozzie keeps putting Mack in CF, he cant play CF! Keep Brian playing regularly, maybe he can get consistent at bats and get his bat going. I dont understand why he has to sit against a tough righty anyway, when can he learn to hit them then. Besides I thought Ozzie preach about having confidence in his players. Is sitting him against tough righty giving confidence?

Ozzie said Brian has not caused us to lose ball games with his defense but I think Mack in CF does so stop putting him out there.

Get his bat going? This month he's had the 2nd best average out of our regular starting 9, with a .322 Average in July.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
Get his bat going? This month he's had the 2nd best average out of our regular starting 9, with a .322 Average in July.

I meant was to keep him hitting instead of sitting him. Benching Brian will only affect his hitting. Just play him everyday, he is young and sure would not want tje frequent rest.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 09:43 PM)
Tonight's lineup was a f***ed up, hideous thing.

There's something so deeply unintimidating about AJ Pierzynski batting third instead of Jim Thome.

AJ Pierzynski wasn't even the problem. We have our starting CF out there today, I think we win this game.