Abreu and Lidle to the Yankees

Buehrle>Wood

The Yankees also get Corey Lidle in the deal . . .

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2534459

The Philadelphia Phillies and New York Yankees have a tentative deal to send Phillies right fiedler Bobby Abreu and pitcher Cory Lidle to New York ESPN.com's Jayson Stark reported Sunday.

Stark reported the Yankees will send 18-year-old minor-league shrotstop C.J. Henry -- their No. 1 pick in 2005 -- and 27-year-old left-handed reliever Matt Smith. The Phillies will also pick one other minor-leauge player from an agreed-upon list, while the Yankees will take on responsibility for Abreu and Lidle's contracts.

Abreu is hitting .277 with 8 home runs and 65 RBI in 99 games. He has a career batting average of .301 with 198 home runs and 841 RBI over 10 seasons.

Lidle, a right-hander, is 8-7 with a 4.74 ERA in 21 starts in 2006. In eight seasons he has a career mark of 78-69 with a 4.54 ERA.

Abreu was in the Phillies' starting lineup Sunday but was pulled for Shane Victorino 10 minutes before their game with the Florida Marlins.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
.427 OBP??? 20 for 24 in steals? More BB's than K's.

Less runs scored than Scott Podsednik. :ph34r: Anywho, this trade doesn't bug me at all, if our team wakes up, Abreu or not we're in the playoffs, if they continue to play like crap then they aren't going anywhere. That simple.

You're fooling yourself if you think this trade shouldn't worry us. One of our 2 main rivals for the WC (the only race we have a shot in) just improved tremendously. And they've already stuck it to us once this season. Plus, they haven't missed the playoffs in how many years?

KW needs to make a move, or quite possibly we're screwed.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
You're fooling yourself if you think this trade shouldn't worry us. One of our 2 main rivals for the WC (the only race we have a shot in) just improved tremendously. And they've already stuck it to us once this season. Plus, they haven't missed the playoffs in how many years?

KW needs to make a move, or quite possibly we're screwed.

The trade itself doesn't worry me one bit. We're still the more talented team. Now, our own team definitely worries me but the yankees still don't.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
The trade itself doesn't worry me one bit. We're still the more talented team. Now, our own team definitely worries me but the yankees still don't.

Can I ask why the Yankees don't worry you? They just swept us with guys named Guiel, Cairo, and Cabrera starting for them. They haven't missed the playoffs since I can't even remember. They just added a guy with the 6th highest OBP in all of baseball. Their starters have even been better than ours. They worry the hell out of me.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
.427 OBP??? 20 for 24 in steals? More BB's than K's.

TO look at this in a different light, there are other people the Yanks could have acquired that would have scared me a lot more.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Can I ask why the Yankees don't worry you? They just swept us with guys named Guiel, Cairo, and Cabrera starting for them. They haven't missed the playoffs since I can't even remember. They just added a guy with the 6th highest OBP in all of baseball. Their starters have even been better than ours. They worry the hell out of me.

The Royals or D-Rays coud have swept us last week.

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)

Cause we're still the better team, one that is playing like crap right now but still better. Like I said, the Yankees won't beat us out for the wildcard this year. If we get this team back on the right track then we'll be in the playoffs, if not, then the Twins will be in the playoffs. The Yankees still won't win the wildcard.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
Cause we're still the better team, one that is playing like crap right now but still better. Like I said, the Yankees won't beat us out for the wildcard this year. If we get this team back on the right track then we'll be in the playoffs, if not, then the Twins will be in the playoffs. The Yankees still won't win the wildcard.

Truth

This is a good move for the Yankees. I know there's a lot of talk about Sheffield and Matsui coming back by the end of the year, but look at how Derrick Lee reacted when he came back from a wrist injury. I don't think the Yankees can really count on those two being factors this year, and if they are, then it's a bonus

With Sheffield and Matsui back, noone in the majors, Detroit or Chicago included is better than New York.

The key thing is that this is *on paper*, they were better than Chicago on paper last year, and look how that went.

But saying it doesn't worry you is silly, it worries me, and we're alot farther ahead of them than you are.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
We need a trade. Can't have our usual crappy 2nd half because we don't have a 15-game lead this year. Need a trade to bolster the team.

No. We don't need any trades.

No trade will make our starters magically start pitching better. And that's what we need. 5 starting pitchers who pitch better than the group we've sent out there this year.

Shockingly, there's no such market with 5 better pitchers than the defending World Series champs rotation are available.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
No. We don't need any trades.

No trade will make our starters magically start pitching better. And that's what we need. 5 starting pitchers who pitch better than the group we've sent out there this year.

Shockingly, there's no such market with 5 better pitchers than the defending World Series champs rotation are available.

What about Zito? If he's available, he'd clearly be an upgrade over Garcia/Vazquez. That would certainly give us a better chance against some of these teams.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
What about Zito? If he's available, he'd clearly be an upgrade over Garcia/Vazquez. That would certainly give us a better chance against some of these teams.

Zito's not available for anything we're offering. And we need 4 more to improve the team as much as it will require to make the playoffs.