Abreu and Lidle to the Yankees

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
With Sheffield and Matsui back, noone in the majors, Detroit or Chicago included is better than New York.

The key thing is that this is *on paper*, they were better than Chicago on paper last year, and look how that went.

But saying it doesn't worry you is silly, it worries me, and we're alot farther ahead of them than you are.

Can Sheffield, Matsui, or Abreu pitch?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 06:49 AM)
Zito's not available for anything we're offering. And we need 4 more to improve the team as much as it will require to make the playoffs.

Unless you wanted to offer B-Mac.

But trading for 2 months of Zito really ain't a good idea when you know he'll be pitching for the Mets or Yanks next season.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
I'm with Rowand. If we play like we're capable, we're fine. The Yankees won't "scare" me unless Randy Johnson reverts back to his pre-2005 form. He's been utter garbage since joining the Yanks.

The White Sox don't scare me unless Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia find some sort of 05-like form either.

Pitching, pitching, pitching. Whoever has it will go far in the playoffs. Whoever does not will probably not even make it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
The White Sox don't scare me unless Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia find some sort of 05-like form either.

Pitching, pitching, pitching. Whoever has it will go far in the playoffs. Whoever does not will probably not even make it.

No argument here. That's why the Twins should be the WC favorites until futher notice.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 02:43 PM)
With Sheffield and Matsui back, noone in the majors, Detroit or Chicago included is better than New York.

The key thing is that this is *on paper*, they were better than Chicago on paper last year, and look how that went.

But saying it doesn't worry you is silly, it worries me, and we're alot farther ahead of them than you are.

No, they really weren't. Wasn't even that close to be honest. There are still many teams in the majors better than the yankees, they still won't make the playoffs. Book it.

this is a HUGE trade for the yanks. I guess abreau and his .427 obp is overrated. if they put him in the 2 hole, that is going to be a HUGE boost for them. damn this sucks

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 07:11 PM)
No, they really weren't. Wasn't even that close to be honest. There are still many teams in the majors better than the yankees, they still won't make the playoffs. Book it.

I see them taking the east.

QUOTE(zygoat @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
this trade does not scare me at the moment, but come october they are the toughest lineup

(scroll up to Sam's post for the lineup)

that lineup is guarenteed to score runs in any game

I think Lidle has more value to the Yankees then Abreu right now.

Bob

QUOTE(zygoat @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
this trade does not scare me at the moment, but come october they are the toughest lineup

(scroll up to Sam's post for the lineup)

that lineup is guarenteed to score runs in any game

By the way, those things about "This is the toughest lineup" or "This is guaranteed to score runs every game" or "this is the best team", those things were all said about the Yankees the moment they got Damon last fall too.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
By the way, those things about "This is the toughest lineup" or "This is guaranteed to score runs every game" or "this is the best team", those things were all said about the Yankees the moment they got Damon last fall too.

Actually, those things have been said about the Yankees every year since about '02.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
I think Lidle has more value to the Yankees then Abreu right now.

Bob

I think you're right. People won't want to admit this, but Lidle has had a better career than Javier Vazquez. The Yankees pick him up and a lot of people yawn or don't mention he being included.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
I think you're right. People won't want to admit this, but Lidle has had a better career than Javier Vazquez. The Yankees pick him up and a lot of people yawn or don't mention he being included.

Well, aside from 2 years in Oakland where he was suddenly good (01 and 02, interestingly enough), it's worth pointing out that the years he's been in the AL he's been shelled, and his numbers in the NL the last 3 seasons have been pretty poor, ERA's from 4.5-4.9, which would be somewhere in the mid 5's in the AL.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
Well, aside from 2 years in Oakland where he was suddenly good (01 and 02, interestingly enough), it's worth pointing out that the years he's been in the AL he's been shelled, and his numbers in the NL the last 3 seasons have been pretty poor, ERA's from 4.5-4.9, which would be somewhere in the mid 5's in the AL.

And Vazquez in the AL? His ERA was over 6.00 the second half with the Yankees in 2004, I think near 7.00, and its about 5.50 right now. It also was about 4.50 last year in the NL, and the White Sox gave up a top prospect, a couple of other serviceable guys, and are paying him handsomely. At about $8 million a year cheaper than Javy Vazquez, with a better career W-L record, and a career ERA only 0.18 higher, if people value Javy Vazquez, they should value this guy a little bit more. The Yankees #5 starter right now is at least as good as the #5 starter in the best rotation in history. If McCarthy moved into the rotation, I would change my opinion.