Please don't blame Jenks

whitesoxfan101

First of all, he was due to blow one (he's only blown 2 all year now). But more importantly, this was Jenks 3rd straight day out there, with yesterday having to use him when we scored 13 and today putting him in a game where we scored 7, yet only led by 1. If we could have held the O's to, hell 8 runs in yesterday's game, maybe Bobby has better stuff and gets it done today. Or maybe if Javy or our setup men weren't spiff today we still don't need Bobby today.

Sure it's great we almost swept this series, but it was still all about offense and our spiffty pitching hasn't changed, the only thing that did was our opponent. DO SOMETHING, make a trade, take somebody out of the rotation, just for the love of God anything because I want a chance to make the playoffs.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen anyone that's solely blamed Jenks for the loss. However, he did blow the save today. He does deserve a lot of the blame. It's his job to get the final 3 outs of the game, and he didn't. He's struggled recently, and we need him to get confidence in his curveball again. He's been great this year though, and we'd be in a lot of trouble if he didn't contribute the way he has so far.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
First of all, he was due to blow one (he's only blown 2 all year now). But more importantly, this was Jenks 3rd straight day out there, with yesterday having to use him when we scored 13 and today putting him in a game where we scored 7, yet only led by 1. If we could have held the O's to, hell 8 runs in yesterday's game, maybe Bobby has better stuff and gets it done today. Or maybe if Javy or our setup men weren't spiff today we still don't need Bobby today.

Sure it's great we almost swept this series, but it was still all about offense and our spiffty pitching hasn't changed, the only thing that did was our opponent. DO SOMETHING, make a trade, take somebody out of the rotation, just for the love of God anything because I want a chance to make the playoffs.

Well, I do blame Jenks for hitting Tejada when he had him down 1-2. But, yeah, he's been nearly flawless in save situations all year. So it's hard to get too upset with him. Let's just hope this was a bad outing today. The last thing in the world we need right now is for Bobby to start struggling -- even for a few games.

It isn't Bobby's fault. He don't blow many save chances, this was only the 3rd BS (blown save) all season or something like that. It happens to the best of them and Bobby is one of the best. Bobby will make up for it in the next game.

Just remember Bobby's biggest save of his young carrer in the bottom of the 9th in game four of the World Series.

This is Ozzie's fault. Pitching Bobby for a third straight day after he's looked like spiff the past two days is just stupid. I'm getting sick of this "He's my closer so he will always close" bullspiff. We should have left Thornton in, he only threw 7 pitches the inning before and threw just 1/3 of an inning each of our previous 2 games, not to mention how dominating he has looked.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
This is Ozzie's fault. Pitching Bobby for a third straight day after he's looked like spiff the past two days is just stupid. I'm getting sick of this "He's my closer so he will always close" bullspiff. We should have left Thornton in, he only threw 7 pitches the inning before and threw just 1/3 of an inning each of our previous 2 games, not to mention how dominating he has looked.

I could just imagine the outrage on here if he left in Thornton, and he blew the game. Thornton had pitched in all 3 games this wknd, and it doesn't matter how many innings he threw. For relievers, they typically end up throwing more pitches warming up in the bullpen than they do on the mound.

When are Ozzie and Kenny going to understand that Javy just shouldn't be pitching in the rotation? Everyday, I feel our playoff chances slipping away. We could have easily been swept this series by the horrible O's team. We got a lucky (?) comeback win Friday, we got a lucky 13 runs out of the offense Saturday, and we lost today. This could have been game 6 of a 6 game losing streak.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
When are Ozzie and Kenny going to understand that Javy just shouldn't be pitching in the major leagues ? Everyday, I feel our playoff chances slipping away. We could have easily been swept this series by the horrible O's team. We got a lucky (?) comeback win Friday, we got a lucky 13 runs out of the offense Saturday, and we lost today. This could have been game 6 of a 6 game losing streak.

Fixed.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
I could just imagine the outrage on here if he left in Thornton, and he blew the game. Thornton had pitched in all 3 games this wknd, and it doesn't matter how many innings he threw. For relievers, they typically end up throwing more pitches warming up in the bullpen than they do on the mound.

I guarantee Jenks through a significantly larger amount of pitches than Thornton, not to mention Thornton has kicked their asses. I was saying how dumb it was to put Jenks in before we even brought him in. At least wait till Thornton gets in trouble. Nonetheless, Vazquez should have been pulled in the 6th after letting a batter reach base. Not after spiff goes south.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)
I guarantee Jenks through a significantly larger amount of pitches than Thornton, not to mention Thornton has kicked their asses. I was saying how dumb it was to put Jenks in before we even brought him in. At least wait till Thornton gets in trouble. Nonetheless, Vazquez should have been pulled in the 6th after letting a batter reach base. Not after spiff goes south.

It's a debate between Mr. Optimism and Mr. Pessimism, and I'm sticking up for Ozzie. :P

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
It's a debate between Mr. Optimism and Mr. Pessimism, and I'm sticking up for Ozzie. :P

:lol: At least the only game we lose is the game Javy pitches, I really feel good about the rest of the starters.

Obviously Jenks deserves blame for blowing it, but he shouldn't have had to pitch yesterday, and today if Vasquez AND Cotts weren't so fishing awful, maybe Jenks wouldn't have been needed today either. The problem remains the pitching, and to be honest I can't blame Ozzie all that much since it seems like in big spots, no matter who is out there seems to figure out a way to suck.

Im putting this game solely on ozzie and neal cotts. We know javy will implode every 6th inning and knowing this, ozzie still does not take him out after he gives up a lead off homer. Then he finally brings in neal with trouble and ofcourse cotts blows the lead. Cotts has been terrible lately and anyone can hit that 93 mph fast ball straight over the top right down the middle. I thought with MacD our bullpen was in good shape but we need another arm because cotts is batting practice right now. You can blame javy all u want, we know what hes gonna give us. It is ozzies responsibility to to manage to his players abilities, and neal's job as a stopper to hold the lead in pressure situations.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
Obviously Jenks deserves blame for blowing it, but he shouldn't have had to pitch yesterday, and today if Vasquez AND Cotts weren't so fishing awful, maybe Jenks wouldn't have been needed today either. The problem remains the pitching, and to be honest I can't blame Ozzie all that much since it seems like in big spots, no matter who is out there seems to figure out a way to suck.

Something that Jenks is going to have to improve upon is his bounce-back ability from game to game. His stuff really tails off if he has to pitch two games in a row. When you're a closer, you can't really afford for this to happen too often. The big boy needs to get himself in better shape.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)

This loss doesn't fall all on Jenks, but he came into the game with the lead and blew it. Not only let them tie it, but lost the game. Its his job to get 3 outs to win the game and he didn't do it. Theres no reason to defend Jenks for today. Started the inning with the lead and didn't finish it.

QUOTE(Dan Pasqua @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Im putting this game solely on ozzie and neal cotts. We know javy will implode every 6th inning and knowing this, ozzie still does not take him out after he gives up a lead off homer. Then he finally brings in neal with trouble and ofcourse cotts blows the lead. Cotts has been terrible lately and anyone can hit that 93 mph fast ball straight over the top right down the middle. I thought with MacD our bullpen was in good shape but we need another arm because cotts is batting practice right now. You can blame javy all u want, we know what hes gonna give us. It is ozzies responsibility to to manage to his players abilities, and neal's job as a stopper to hold the lead in pressure situations.
Agreed Cotts too is not the same pitcher as 05. When he was brought up I thought he would eventually become a starter. Ozzie delegate him to the pen. One or so batters and that is it. He needs to mature, get a few more pitches . 94 isn't all that bad if you can locate better scouting report says he has a changup, his best pitch. Hitters don't have chance to see his changeup because they are already rounding the bases. It is either Cooper or Aj's fault for either not being taught other pitches or for Aj for not calling for them. We could send him down to develop a few new pitches. It is not like we're vying for a wild card spot.

It would also have helped, you know, earlier in the game, had we had a center fielder out there who could have made a couple of those plays that wound up being short-hopped.

Seriously, with a lefty on the mound, why the hell do we put in our worst center fielder?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
It would also have helped, you know, earlier in the game, had we had a center fielder out there who could have made a couple of those plays that wound up being short-hopped.

Seriously, with a lefty on the mound, why the hell do we put in our worst center fielder?

This was one of the poorer managed games of the season, and I don't think many people would argue with that. I'm still puzzled why our middle infield wasn't at DP depth for the last batter.