7/30 Games

danman31

Charlotte lost 5-4. Rogo, Sweeney, Gonzalez with 2 hits each. Tracey struggled, but Montero and Hermanson pitched well. Box Score

Birmingham lost 3-0. Whisler 7 IP, 1 R, 3 K, 3 BB, 3 hits. Box Score

Winston-Salem lost 10-6. Hansen 3-5 with a grand slam (#10). Cook and Roberts with 2 hits each. McCulloch's debut was rocky. 2 IP, 5 R (2 ER), 2 K, 4 BB, 3 hits. Box Score

Kanny lost 9-8, giving up 2 in the bottom of the 9th. Castillo 3-4, HR #6, 2 RBI, 3 R. Allen 2-3, HR #9, 3 RBI. Orlando 2-5. Brooks with an ugly outing. Box Score

Great Falls lost 11-4. Welker (2) and Tavares (2) with HRs. Cruz 3-4. Cassel struggled in his first start of his pro career, going 5 innings. Box Score

Bristol lost 3-2. Box Score

Edited by danman31

Interesting.

Sean Tracey gets cuffed around and Montero comes in and keeps the game close. Seems to me Montero and Tracey are the two options for the White Sox if they need a rubber armed guy to give them innings. Neither have been lights out.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
Interesting.

Sean Tracey gets cuffed around and Montero comes in and keeps the game close. Seems to me Montero and Tracey are the two options for the White Sox if they need a rubber armed guy to give them innings. Neither have been lights out.

I'd say there's a definite chance that Tracey might be the answer to long-relief....via trade. If I had to guess, Tracey might be in a Pirates uniform in a few days.

I'd say there's a definite chance that Tracey might be the answer to long-relief....via trade. If I had to guess, Tracey might be in a Pirates uniform in a few days.

The White Sox need innings tomorrow, they will rely on Contreras.

Very interesting that Guillen is sticking to his guns re: his position players. He likes the 14 he's got. If he wants to stick with that, then that means they might tweak the pitching staff. That means either a DL stint for somebody or a guy gets sent down. If not, then they think they have all the necessary pieces.

Personally I think they need some help. Vazquez's problems not to be understated, but McCarthy had a perfect chance to show he could eat up innings yesterday. He didn't. He got cuffed around. What does that tell you ... he is not in a rhythm. Therefore get him into a rhythm. Let him show he can dominate AAA hitters this year (last yr. doesn't count, "this is 2006" as SoxTalk says). If he is lights out, then it's bad news and so sorry for whatever starter is stinking up the joint at the time.

Meanwhile, for this to work ... they need another arm. Either via trade or via someone from the system coming up and being reasonably effective. Sean Tracey isn't showing it, and Montero hasn't been great either. It's trade time.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
The White Sox need innings tomorrow, they will rely on Contreras.

Very interesting that Guillen is sticking to his guns re: his position players. He likes the 14 he's got. If he wants to stick with that, then that means they might tweak the pitching staff. That means either a DL stint for somebody or a guy gets sent down. If not, then they think they have all the necessary pieces.

Personally I think they need some help. Vazquez's problems not to be understated, but McCarthy had a perfect chance to show he could eat up innings yesterday. He didn't. He got cuffed around. What does that tell you ... he is not in a rhythm. Therefore get him into a rhythm. Let him show he can dominate AAA hitters this year (last yr. doesn't count, "this is 2006" as SoxTalk says). If he is lights out, then it's bad news and so sorry for whatever starter is stinking up the joint at the time.

Meanwhile, for this to work ... they need another arm. Either via trade or via someone from the system coming up and being reasonably effective. Sean Tracey isn't showing it, and Montero hasn't been great either. It's trade time.

Wow, interesting idea, moving Bmac down and getting him ready for the rotation in the minors. I hadnt thought about it, but it would be a way for the team to motivate its current 5 starters while getting Brandon ready to hopefully do his thing.

I think he needs innings and starts to get stuff together and get himself into a legit rhythm. He's been solid out of the pen, but he has not looked as sharp as he did last year at any piont this year and I think it stems from him being in the pen.

Wow, interesting idea, moving Bmac down and getting him ready for the rotation in the minors. I hadnt thought about it, but it would be a way for the team to motivate its current 5 starters while getting Brandon ready to hopefully do his thing.

I think he needs innings and starts to get stuff together and get himself into a legit rhythm. He's been solid out of the pen, but he has not looked as sharp as he did last year at any piont this year and I think it stems from him being in the pen.

Jason,

I'd thought of it a while ago but need to credit Bruce Levine for bringing it up today.

In order for this to work, they need an arm to be the long/swingman ... more effective than a 22 yr. old Brandon McCarthy, who needs to get his rhythm. All young pitchers do.

So it's incumbent on KW to acquire an arm who can be better in that role than Brandon. And KW may not find a deal to his liking because as we've all commented, the price for mediocrity is very high on this trade market.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
Jason,

I'd thought of it a while ago but need to credit Bruce Levine for bringing it up today.

In order for this to work, they need an arm to be the long/swingman ... more effective than a 22 yr. old Brandon McCarthy, who needs to get his rhythm. All young pitchers do.

So it's incumbent on KW to acquire an arm who can be better in that role than Brandon. And KW may not find a deal to his liking because as we've all commented, the price for mediocrity is very high on this trade market.

Ya, the question is do they like Tracey enough to consider bringing him up as the long man (with MacDougall here, the club could probably swing things where Tracey is only in long man roles which usually aren't key to a club's success) while Brandon goes down.

I say that because I don't see the price of a reliever as being very affordable so unelss there is some guy that doesn't have much trade value who Kenny likes that he can bring in. I know the Yanks are talking about Roberto Hernandez, but I wouldn't be a major proponent of that since he hasn't been as good as of late.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 04:54 AM)
Does anyone know how hard/effective Hermy has been throwing down there? He could still help us up in Chicago.

Last I heard, he wasn't throwing hard enough to get a speeding ticket on a highway (mid 80s).