Alomar to exclusively catch Buehrle

BigSqwert

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:08 PM)
Subtle swipe at AJ's pitch calling?

They mentioned his previous success with Sandy. Didn't he have a lot of success with AJP behind the plate last year? Seems like a lot of excuses for Mark's problems. Tipping pitches, lights in the OF, and now this.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
They mentioned his previous success with Sandy. Didn't he have a lot of success with AJP behind the plate last year? Seems like a lot of excuses for Mark's problems. Tipping pitches, lights in the OF, and now this.

The sox should stop sugar coating for these guys even for Buerhle. Mark has not pitch the way he is capable and that's the story. We need to stop giving Dusty Baker like excuses.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
The sox should stop sugar coating for these guys even for Buerhle. Mark has not pitch the way he is capable and that's the story. We need to stop giving Dusty Baker like excuses.

I don't see this as an excuse. I see it as the Sox recognizing a problem and trying whatever they can to fix it.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)

Guillen said he blames his pitchers for not pitching good, not the catchers. I can also bet you if any of our pitchers were to be asked why they suck right now they would blaim it all on themselves. No Baker excuses here.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
I don't see this as an excuse. I see it as the Sox recognizing a problem and trying whatever they can to fix it.

Now, if only they would pull Vazquez before he loses the game for us and use the bench more intelligently, then we'd really be onto something.

QUOTE(Drew @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:35 AM)
Now, if only they would pull Vazquez before he loses the game for us and use the bench more intelligently, then we'd really be onto something.

Well, there's only so much you can do. The bullpen was pressed today. It's going to be pressed all through the KC series as well. 9 innings from Jose tomorrow would be super swell.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:40 AM)
So the reason Buerhle's location is off is the guy behind the plate. Interesting that a guy with a CERA over his team's ERA for his career is a guy that will turn Buerhle around and get him to get his control back.

It is that or have Paulie strap on his old gear and get back there.

I think this gives MB someone to work with between starts so he can keep one thought in his head. AJ has to work with the other guys too so he doesn't have the time Sandy does. This could just be a way to keep MB's head on straight between starts.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:04 AM)
It is that or have Paulie strap on his old gear and get back there.

That reminds me, I've meant to ask this question recently...

Who is the #3 catcher on the team, in the event one is needed? That one day after Widge was released and they weren't sure if Alomar would make it in for the game, I was wondering who would play if AJ got hurt.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:28 AM)

Who is the #3 catcher on the team, in the event one is needed? That one day after Widge was released and they weren't sure if Alomar would make it in for the game, I was wondering who would play if AJ got hurt.

Ozuna I believe.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)

Here is a quote from MLB.com:

Rob Mackowiak laughed when asked Friday about serving as Guillen's emergency catcher, but said he was ready if needed.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:29 AM)
Ozuna I believe.

Ozuna tried warming up Bobby Jenks not too long ago. First pitch went straight to the backstop, and Ozuna looked back at the ball and walked off the field slowly :P

Alomar, Buehrle to be reunited

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

Published July 30, 2006

BALTIMORE -- In an attempt to help Mark Buehrle snap a five-game losing streak, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said he will start newly acquired Sandy Alomar Jr. behind the plate Tuesday night against Kansas City.

"I'm not going to blame our catching because Buehrle hasn't had success the last five starts," Guillen said Sunday. "I blame that on him. I think in the past they've worked together and have been able to work it out."

Buehrle's faith in Alomar dates to the 2001 season, when he became a full-time starting pitcher and posted a 16-8 record and 3.29 ERA.

Alomar last worked with Buehrle in 2004, when he had a 4.04 ERA in 17 starts with Alomar catching. Buehrle allowed three runs or fewer in nine of his first 11 starts in '04. Guillen reiterated his faith in starting catcher A.J. Pierzynski and stressed that Alomar won't serve as Buehrle's personal catcher.

"People can't forget he won a lot of games with A.J. behind the plate," Guillen said. "That's not the problem. It's just trying to do something different."

Alomar pointed out that Buehrle and the Sox won the 2005 World Series without him.

"I'm not going to be the main difference in him," Alomar said. "It just has to be like what they did last year. They won. If someone has to prove something, it's me."

Last Monday, Buehrle said he trusted Alomar's pitch selection when he came up to the majors as a youngster but that it didn't matter who was catching now.