Ron Kittle

keaddy

just wondering if anyone happened to hear Kitty on the Score this evening-afternoon.The guy is definately lobbying for a managers job-a certain team's managing position.After listening to him for 5 minutes and aptly describing the Sox woes and possible solutions-I was ready to hire him on the spot and send JR packing!(of course-if the only option was no manager-I'd still send JM packing........)

Kitty-we hardly knew you!

K-Y

Guest hotsoxchick1
just wondering if anyone happened to hear Kitty on the Score this evening-afternoon.The guy is definately lobbying for a managers job-a certain team's managing position.After listening to him for 5 minutes and aptly describing the Sox woes and possible solutions-I was ready to hire him on the spot and send JR packing!(of course-if the only option was no manager-I'd still send JM packing........)

Kitty-we hardly knew you!

K-Y

hire him.. he couldnt do any worse........... :D maybe he will bring with him the frozen pops kid and tommy john 3 along for the ride......... :lolhitting

Guest hotsoxchick1
Say no to Kitty. I heard we was a Major AssHole managing the Flyers. Kittle is not the solution... Well maybe for EL CHEAPO he is

actually the team and the fans both loved him when he managed the flyers... he opted for an "office job" there to get to know things on a different level.........

Say no to Kitty. I heard we was a Major AssHole managing the Flyers. Kittle is not the solution... Well maybe for EL CHEAPO he is

actually-he explained the problems he had with the team and that they stemmed mostly from young kids who thought they were already MLB material,and who liked to show up 15 minutes before game time.He said that his old school ways didn't go over too well with some of the young "stars".Now,how he'd be able to handle MLB prima donnas at this level is uncertain-I just liked hearing a guy with some fire in his belly and who'd kick some butt.If we're looking for the antithesis of JM-he'd be one surefire candidate.My only hesitation would be his lack of experience at managing in the show.

But just as Fisks' name comes up,for guys we'd love seeing kick some Sox butt into shape,you'd have to add Kittle's too..........

K-Y

indeed wally backman has earned his shot, even though in all probability it will not come until next year we all know in our heart of hearts that jm's

job is safe until the off-season just hope someone else doesnt grab wally from under our nose if that happens, i will at least have the same

hope for the sox "next year" that ive had for the last 43 years of being

a fan...........

rex, you've seen wally's teams play in person and keep up with the team on a daily basis you should have the best take on this moreso than anyone else if the sox needed a manager today, would you be reluctant to name wally the manager over several other candidates, or would it be a no-brainer? is he or does he have the potential to be that good as a

manager for the sox??

rex, you've seen wally's teams play in person and keep up with the team on a daily basis you should have the best take on this moreso than anyone else if the sox needed a manager today, would you be reluctant to name wally the manager over several other candidates, or would it be a no-brainer? is he or does he have the potential to be that good as a

manager for the sox??

First of all, I don't see any way possible that Wally will be in Charlotte next year. He has nothing left to prove at the Minor League level. If he is not a Major League manager next year, my guess is he will be a 3B coach for someone.

I have no doubts whatsoever that Wally is qualified and capable of managing in the Major Leagues right now. What I do doubt is how Wally would fit with Kenny Williams as the GM. That just seems like an "oil and water" combination to me.

I think Wally has actually done a better job with the Barons this year than he did last year when they won it (if that is possible). The talent level this year is just not there. He is playing with basically 8 guys on offense because he is hamstrung with having to play Josh Shaffer (.196 with 0HR, 8RBI and only 4BB in 47 games plus 15 errors).

There is no league MVP candidate (Miles), no position player primed for the Majors (Olivo) and not as much speed as last year. The pitching has been pretty solid, but the rotation is in shambles with Cotts, Malone, and Ulacia all on the DL, making other guys step out of their normal roles. Clay Eason who was the perfect spot starter last year is in AAA.

The bullpen has been good, but I don't think you can say it was solid or as deep as last year, when it was superb.

All that said, and this will depend on personnel of course, Wally manages aggressively. His teams sometimes run into "dumb" outs, but they also create runs. With him, you have to take the bad with the good and trust the good will far outweight the bad. So far here in Birmingham, it definitely has.

Great analysis Rex. I'm a big fan of aggressive managers, not so much in temperament, but the way they dictate the flow of the game.

As for Kittle, I have nothing against him being employed by the organization in some capacity. Perhaps a minor league managing or instructional job for starters. He's clearly not qualified to be a major league manager, at least not yet.

Rex, what is the story with Ulacia, how badly is he hurt? Is Purvis doing anything down there ... I saw he had one outing where he got torched ... what was his injury?

Here is what I know about Kittle -

at the overnight, Harold Baines spent a lot of time talking to people graciously - in fact at one point a Sox employee sent the grandkid and I over to talk to Harold to rescue him from some people who were just dominating the conversation. Harold insisted on having a picture taken with my grandson - Harold was graciosuness and class supreme and very humble.

Kittle was there - standing in the center of things expecting to be recognized and acknowledged - acting like a big shot. (So we ignored him...)

Put me down as a Wally Backman guy if and when we make a change.

Great analysis Rex.  I'm a big fan of aggressive managers, not so much in temperament, but the way they dictate the flow of the game.

As for Kittle, I have nothing against him being employed by the organization in some capacity.  Perhaps a minor league managing or instructional job for starters.  He's clearly not qualified to be a major league manager, at least not yet.

Rex, what is the story with Ulacia, how badly is he hurt?  Is Purvis doing anything down there ... I saw he had one outing where he got torched ... what was his injury?

Ulacia walked a hitter with the bases loaded and in frustration punched the mound while still in follow through position. Not sure how long he is out, but there was some kind of fracture. I heard he may begin throwing again soon on the side, so it may not be that bad, but I am not sure.

Great analysis Rex.  I'm a big fan of aggressive managers, not so much in temperament, but the way they dictate the flow of the game.

As for Kittle, I have nothing against him being employed by the organization in some capacity.  Perhaps a minor league managing or instructional job for starters.  He's clearly not qualified to be a major league manager, at least not yet.

Rex, what is the story with Ulacia, how badly is he hurt?  Is Purvis doing anything down there ... I saw he had one outing where he got torched ... what was his injury?

You mean once having had "rooftop" power doesn't qualify you as a major league manager? :huh: