MLB Trade Deadline Thread 7/31

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE(S720 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
Come on Levine! Not even a little drip of Sox news?

The whitesox have announced the signing of a prominant sports pyschologist Dr. Ivan Humperlink who will work with Javy to help him get over his phobia with going beyond the 5th inning. Dr. Humperlink believes that after 30 days, he will have Javy beyond the 5th inning or your money back.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
Wow, looks like everyone called Bowden's bluff. Either that, or they are very confident they can sign him.

I wouldn't be shocked if talks continue for Soriano as he may pass through waivers to the point that a team thats interested in him can claim him and have some exclusive talks with the Nats.

That would probably be a team like the Angels (since they are the AL contenders with the worse records who'd probably be willing to try and work something)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
He is very well regarded and your right about his defense, but he's not been quite as hideous since he moved to 3rd base a year or so ago. But ya, this is a pretty highly touted kid who really hit well last year for Jacksonville in the Southern League.

I don't understand where Guzman fits in Tampa Bay's future. There's obviously a huge logjam in the outfield, and also on the left side of the infield. Eventually, they're going to have to deal some of these guys for pitching...

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
I wouldn't be shocked if talks continue for Soriano as he may pass through waivers to the point that a team thats interested in him can claim him and have some exclusive talks with the Nats.

That would probably be a team like the Angels (since they are the AL contenders with the worse records who'd probably be willing to try and work something)

I don't think he would clear NL waivers. I don't think there's a chance in hell of it actually.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
I don't understand where Guzman fits in Tampa Bay's future. There's obviously a huge logjam in the outfield, and also on the left side of the infield. Eventually, they're going to have to deal some of these guys for pitching...

Maybe back to ss...?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)

Nice problem to have. They are stacked out there.

Rotoworld: Report: Shealy to Royals for Affeldt, Bautista

According to MLB Radio and ESPN , Ryan Shealy and Scott Dohmann have been traded from the Rockies to the Royals for Jeremy Affeldt and Denny Bautista.

We hope the Royals would give up both pitchers for him unless they planned on playing him regularly right away. Affeldt and Bautista both have plus stuff. Maybe the Rockies can do more with them than the Royals did. Jul. 31 - 4:34 pm et

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:28 PM)
The whitesox have announced the signing of a prominant sports pyschologist Dr. Ivan Humperlink who will work with Javy to help him get over his phobia with going beyond the 5th inning. Dr. Humperlink believes that after 30 days, he will have Javy beyond the 5th inning or your money back.

Dr. Humperlink was recommended to White Sox GM Ken Williams by Pittsburgh GM Dave Littlefield. Littlefield, who had received much criticism for several years of questionable trade deadline deals, had suffered from low self-esteem. Littlefield, however, felt so good after his time with Humperlink that he continued his run of asinine deals today. This result impressed Williams greatly, and Vazquez is reported to be meeting with Humperlink on Wednesday.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
I can't believe the Angels didn't get him to begin with. He was a nice fit for their team, and they have plenty of prospects to deal.

If they wanted Santana I wouldn't have made a deal. I'd prefer taking my luck with good starting pitching and a mediocre offense than doing things the other way around.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
If Soriano was sent to the Marlins after today, would he have to clear waivers with all AL teams first? He clearly wouldn't do that but he'd clear with all teams below the Marlins in the NL if possible.

Nope. The marlins would just have to claim him off of waivers, and then they would make a deal with the nats. The waiver system goes the league the player is in, and if no team claims him, then it moves to the other league.

Why wouldn't the White Sox take a flier on Maddux? Or the Red Sox for that matter? He was had for nothing, the Cubs payed a million bucks to do so.

He's never been fond of the American League, with good reason, but its his last run at a Series.

There were far too many salary dumps, its a shame that both the White Sox and Red Sox (two big market teams) didn't act on it.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Why wouldn't the White Sox take a flier on Maddux? Or the Red Sox for that matter? He was had for nothing, the Cubs payed a million bucks to do so.

He's never been fond of the American League, with good reason, but its his last run at a Series.

There were far too many salary dumps, its a shame that both the White Sox and Red Sox (two big market teams) didn't act on it.

Maddux would get absolutely hammered in the al, era of over 5.5 with ease in this league.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maddux would get absolutely hammered in the al, era of over 5.5 with ease in this league.

He was just an example, and even so thats not far off from what this rotation is doing day in and day out.

It's stupid that Abreu wasn't had for nothing, it's stupid that the White Sox didn't go after Hernandez and Perez for nothing, and then shipping them to San Diego for Linebrink, the list goes on and on.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
He was just an example, and even so thats not far off from what this rotation is doing day in and day out.

It's stupid that Abreu wasn't had for nothing, it's stupid that the White Sox didn't go after Hernandez and Perez for nothing, and then shipping them to San Diego for Linebrink, the list goes on and on.

I really wish the Sox would've went after Linebrink since the Padres basically gave him away.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)

He would have never approved of a trade to the AL. I don't see how someone can say Hernandez and Perez were had for nothing, as Nady is a pretty solid corner outfielder. He's had a lot of value for a few seasons now.