MLB Trade Deadline Thread 7/31

AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
Its funny how much worse of a player Izturus has become on this board once its gone from KW wanting to get him, to his now being on the Cubs.

???

He has a career line of .261/.295/.338. He isn't an efficient base stealer, but he has some speed. His only real asset is his glove. He's a bench player.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
Did anyone hear DJ or Hawk say yesterday that Konerko said Gload would be the best hitter on the White Sox if he got regular playing time? I can't believe KW is getting roster advice from him.

you know what i bet thats not true, but i also bet gload would bat .280-.300 and be a quality player. he could start for most other teams...

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
Did anyone hear DJ or Hawk say yesterday that Konerko said Gload would be the best hitter on the White Sox if he got regular playing time? I can't believe KW is getting roster advice from him.

PK is the same person who has said for years that Gload is a Gold Glove caliber 1B. After 3 mediocre plays at 1B this wknd, I beg to differ.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)

I wouldn't be shocked if that was true.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
It's pretty disappointing that the transaction that led to the most conversation on this board today was Maddux for Izturis.

Come on Levine! Not even a little drip of Sox news?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
It's pretty disappointing that the transaction that led to the most conversation on this board today was Maddux for Izturis.

The fact that big names haven't been moved tells me that there was really nothing KW to do except make a terrible trade out of desperation.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
???

He has a career line of .261/.295/.338. He isn't an efficient base stealer, but he has some speed. His only real asset is his glove. He's a bench player.

I don't think he's very good, but when there were rumors of KW's interest a couple months ago, if you read some of the posts, you would have thought his bust has already been made for Cooperstown.

Cesar Itzuris was a real nice pickup and now the Dodgers acquire Julio Logo giving up a top prospect in Joel Guzman and than Sergio Pedroza who was from Fullerton.

Man you guys really look to much at Itzuris stats, prior to his injury last year he had some real nice offensive numbers going and he's really gotten better offensively every year.

Betemeit at 3rd, Lugo at 2nd and Furcal at SS with one of Kent/Nomar playing first.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:24 PM)
I don't think he's very good, but when there were rumors of KW's interest a couple months ago, if you read some of the posts, you would have thought his bust has already been made for Cooperstown.

Kind of like now when some are saying this was a good trade and some saying it was a bad one? :huh

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
Alfonso Soriano-OF-Nationals Jul. 31 - 4:23 pm et

According to CBS.SportsLine.com's Scott Miller, Alfonso Soriano won't be traded.

per roto

Hopefully that is true. The idea of the twinks getting him with the 1-2 punch of pitching they have is scary.

QUOTE(champ @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
Why the hell would we need Lugo?

We don't need a terrible defensive SS...

lol yeah, i know... but he can hit!

i wasnt really serious, i just want SOMETHING to go down

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:22 PM)
I wouldn't be shocked if that was true.

If he's the best hitter on the team, and the best defensive first baseman, why was acquiring Jim Thome one of the reasons Paulie gave for re-signing? If Gload's a better hitter, wouldn't playing him regularly have sufficed?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
Joel Guzman is a terrible defensive player, but he's got some massive offensive potential.

He is very well regarded and your right about his defense, but he's not been quite as hideous since he moved to 3rd base a year or so ago. But ya, this is a pretty highly touted kid who really hit well last year for Jacksonville in the Southern League.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
If he's the best hitter on the team, and the best defensive first baseman, why was acquiring Jim Thome one of the reasons Paulie gave for re-signing? If Gload's a better hitter, wouldn't playing him regularly have sufficed?

I don't know if anyone else saw it, but Gail Fischer was on Sports Page last night, and she went off on KW asking the big three for their advice on a trade. It was very interesting to hear a media member criticize KW that way.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
He is very well regarded and your right about his defense, but he's not been quite as hideous since he moved to 3rd base a year or so ago. But ya, this is a pretty highly touted kid who really hit well last year for Jacksonville in the Southern League.

Yeah, the defensive reports I'm basing my statement off was from when he was at SS.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)

Quite simply, he's not Thome or Konerko. I've long said if I were a team I'd acquire Gload and let him play first. I think he's a .300 hitter who will play solid defense but he won't hit a ton of HR's and not many teams are willing to part with power when it comes to 1st base.