MLB Trade Deadline Thread 7/31

AWhiteSoxinNJ

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Think of how our pen would work out. We would have 4 guys that can throw 97 or higher at the back end of our pen.

Lidge for the 6th

McDougal for the 7th

Thornton for the 8th

Jenks for the 9th.

Get to the 6th with a lead and its over. I think Lidge could handle the 6th inning.

Sox would need a long man if Bmac was to be moved into the rotation. If Freddie was to pull a groin covering first base in the second inning, a bullpen full of closers might not cut it. Offering Lidge at the last minute might be a good move for Huston. There may be a last minute bidding war where the GM's don't really have time to consider things carefully.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:57 AM)
Well, if KW is going to do something, which I doubt he will, he better get on his horse. Three hours left.

There are many options to weigh.

Tradables:

Vaz

Garcia

Cotts (seriously)

Gload

Ozuna

Cintron

Prospects

We have a little bit of something something to offer. He is out there seeing what he can get.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
Sox would need a long man if Bmac was to be moved into the rotation. If Freddie was to pull a groin covering first base in the second inning, a bullpen full of closers might not cut it. Offering Lidge at the last minute might be a good move for Huston. There may be a last minute bidding war where the GM's don't really have time to consider things carefully.

Riske can pitch several innings if needed. As could cotts.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
There are many options to weigh.

Tradables:

Vaz

Garcia

Cotts (seriously)

Gload

Ozuna

Cintron

Prospects

We have a little bit of something something to offer. He is out there seeing what he can get.

Riske can pitch several innings if needed. As could cotts.

I'm just saying that there's precious little time left. He's got 3 hours to not only make a reasonable deal, but to outbid everyone else trying to get Lidge.

I don't see it happening.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
Why wouldnt they do a deal like that? Vaz belongs in the NL, especially the NL central. He could be a middle of the rotation guy in that division. You trade Vaz for someone, a reliever like Lidge, then move BMAC into the rotation and we already improved a ton.

That type of deal makes them a little more likely to move a starter like Oswalt (although I think its horrificly stupid to do). If we are serious about moving McCarthy to the rotation than it may not be a bad idea.

Stark reports any Oswalt talk is dead. I was just throwing out our name on Lidge since Kenny likes to go back to guys he once wanted, or at least it seemed we wanted Lidge. You are right baout the salary thing and you would be hard-pressed to name many times where the White Sox paid part salary to give a guy away. In fact, we tend to operate the opposite where we give up more talent to pay less money in trades (alomar and everett come to mind). I would not doubt though that the Sox put in a call on Brad Lidge just to find out the price or if its true that he won't be an Astro tomorrow. I think that fantasy owners have to be lining up for Dan Wheeler right now.

Im just trying to figure out what would be mutually beneficial to another team. The astros were looking to maybe move Ensberg, maybe they want fields as the future? Maybe they would want another starter which is needed. Can we afford to trade a bat for some pitching?

Just heard a rumor of Andrew Jones to the Red Sox? No way Atlanta does that deal.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
Im just trying to figure out what would be mutually beneficial to another team. The astros were looking to maybe move Ensberg, maybe they want fields as the future? Maybe they would want another starter which is needed. Can we afford to trade a bat for some pitching?

Just heard a rumor of Andrew Jones to the Red Sox? No way Atlanta does that deal.

Lester is cheap so that would free up some serious salary and I know they have thought a long time about moving Jones. At the same time Jones is a proven super star, but you got to like the way Lester has pitched thus far.

I actually think thats a real bad deal for the Red Sox, unless they are working on something that gets them some legitimate starting.

No Josh Beckett is not an ace, not right now he ain't.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
Lester is cheap so that would free up some serious salary and I know they have thought a long time about moving Jones. At the same time Jones is a proven super star, but you got to like the way Lester has pitched thus far.

I actually think thats a real bad deal for the Red Sox, unless they are working on something that gets them some legitimate starting.

No Josh Beckett is not an ace, not right now he ain't.

Nah, its coco, craig hansen and a prospect accoring to Neyer.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
Nah, its coco, craig hansen and a prospect accoring to Neyer.

It's true. Buster reported the same thing. I posted this in the three way thread. If the BoSox want Jones, they have to part with Lester. That's the main reason this deal isn't done yet. The Braves want Lester.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:23 AM)
It's true. Buster reported the same thing. I posted this in the three way thread. If the BoSox want Jones, they have to part with Lester. That's the main reason this deal isn't done yet. The Braves want Lester.

If they got Crisp, Hansen and Lester I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I don't know if they could get all that.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
The Braves offered Andruw Jones to the Red Sox for Coco Crisp, Jon Lester, and Craig Hansen. The Red Sox didn't hesitate to reject this offer and close off all talks with the Braves.

What are the Braves thinking?

Thats a fair trade considering the type of talent Jones is. Its a lot to give up as well if your the Red Sox. But if your the Braves and are going to move a star you better get a lot in return.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they got Crisp, Hansen and Lester I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I don't know if they could get all that.

Thats a fair trade considering the type of talent Jones is. Its a lot to give up as well if your the Red Sox. But if your the Braves and are going to move a star you better get a lot in return.

I think thats a miserable trade for the Red Sox, one of the reasons why no local Boston media outlet is picking up on it.

You don't trade three major league ready, top flight talents for Andruw Jones. I have full confidence that if Jones is acquired, only one at the most of these three will be included.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
I think thats a miserable trade for the Red Sox, one of the reasons why no local Boston media outlet is picking up on it.

You don't trade three major league ready, top flight talents for Andruw Jones. I have full confidence that if Jones is acquired, only one at the most of these three will be included.

Well give a call to Theo. Because he is the one who offered Crisp and Hansen. The Braves countered with adding Lester to the deal.

Methinks you forget that Andru Jones is pretty good.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)

I was actually going to suggest at least two. I would have said Crisp and Lester since they want him so much for Andruw (maybe + $) since Crisp and Jones are a wash at CF, and the Braves get the pitcher they want. Boston could have also ask for some $ or maybe a fringe spect. Noway should the Braves get Lester AND Hansen. Coco, Lester and maybe a spect for Jones and maybe cash considerations could have been more adaquate.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
Methinks you forget that Andru Jones is pretty good.

Ya, that too. That deal was decent but I don't think Lester and Hansen were fair. BoSox could have instead added one of their top spects and possibly could have landed him. But no matter what they wanted Lester and the Sawks didn't want to part with him so whatever was left on the table is mute at this point.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:24 PM)
The Braves offered Andruw Jones to the Red Sox for Coco Crisp, Jon Lester, and Craig Hansen. The Red Sox didn't hesitate to reject this offer and close off all talks with the Braves.

What are the Braves thinking?

Can't blame the Braves for making this offer, The Yanks just made a big move so the Red Sox may feel the need to react and grab another big name of their own.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
What? Is this a typo?

I didn't mean talent wise. I'm saying they play the same position (CF) so the Braves could move Crisp to CF after the Jones trade since Crisp is still pretty young, or the Braves can possibly move Crisp to LF, or however they plan to use him.

I'm sorry.

You don't go from valueing Coco Crisp as a guy who can have you Mark Buehrle and then offer him along with Hansen, who would immediately close for that team, for Andruw Jones.

You just don't, and as I mentioned, all local media, which in Boston is far more knowledgable than say Buster Olney, I tend to believe this was a proposal from the Braves that the Red Sox shot down without hesitation, and that is that.