MLB Trade Deadline Thread 7/31

AWhiteSoxinNJ

From John Manuel:

JOHN MANUEL

I think Williams is done, and he probably should be. His is a case, I believe, of making one move too many. How much better would the White Sox be with McCarthy in the rotation and Chris Young in CF all year, instead of dealing Young to the D-backs for the over-rated Javier Vazquez? If the Sox do anything in the next hour or so, I'd guessing it will be for a middle reliever, so McCarthy could go to the rotation.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
It seems that everyone in baseball has figured out that Vazquez is overrated. I still don't think we'll be able to get rid of him in the offseason without having to take very little in return.

Addition by subtraction.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
Oliver Perez + Robbie Hernandez

for

Xavier Nady

Isn't Nady basically the same player as Craig Wilson?

Nady is a better player, imo. But I like Xavier Nady.

Considering Duaner Sanchez is out for a while, this is a good move by the Mets, imo. I also think Phillips was onto things when he mentioned that they could enter the Soriano talks to replace Nady if they really wanted to.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)

Considering Duaner Sanchez is out for a while, this is a good move by the Mets, imo. I also think Phillips was onto things when he mentioned that they could enter the Soriano talks to replace Nady if they really wanted to.

the mets really just killed the pirates on this deal... wow

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:20 PM)
It seems that everyone in baseball has figured out that Vazquez is overrated. I still don't think we'll be able to get rid of him in the offseason without having to take very little in return.

You're probably right. Our only hope would be a team that thinks they can fix him. But the biggest strike against him probably isn't his current struggles, but the fact that he's on his third team in 4 years. I mean, what can be done to help him that hasn't already been tried by three different organizations?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)

It seems like a pretty solid move for Pittsburg. I didn't mean the Nady/Wilson comparison as a bad thing -- if Pitt had more offensive players like Wilson, they'd certainly be a much better team.

Nady is putting up an .813 OPS and is 27 years old. Hernandez is a fungible reliever, and Perez needs a LOT of help.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
the mets really just killed the pirates on this deal... wow

Disagree. O Perez has lost velocity and is basically worthless, Hernandez is old and done. Nady is a nice player, and has developed this year. I think the Pirates made a great deal here.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
Disagree. O Perez has lost velocity and is basically worthless, Hernandez is old and done. Nady is a nice player, and has developed this year. I think the Pirates made a great deal here.

Haven't there been a lot of rumors about Perez being a steroid guy? I'm a big fan of Nady, and this gives the Pirates some very good corner outfielders. That team desperately needs a CF though.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
29 minutes left before we realize the horror that the team will still be the same, and our pitching is still the same.

HAWK: "I'll tell you what fiesty. Sometimes the best trade is the one that wasn't made. I'll take our chances with our horses."

DJ: "I'm right there with you partner."

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
HAWK: "I'll tell you what fiesty. Sometimes the best trade is the one that wasn't made. I'll take our chances with our horses."

The chance of hearing this crap tonight: 100%

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
29 minutes left before we realize the horror that the team will still be the same, and our pitching is still the same.

Please please please trade javy Kenny. Please.

ack (Chicago)

What is goin on with the White sox, are they going to make any moves before the deadline is over?

GARY GILLETTE

Jack, they are not likely at this point to make a big move. More likely a modest deal to improve their bullpen and let them put McCarthy in the rotation, which they should have done long ago.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)

PFB: "I really like the makeup of this team, and I think that the whitesox are ready to real off a 20 game winning streak and OG says that Javy is ready to go 9 innings. They have done it before and they can do it again"

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
Please please please trade javy Kenny. Please.

ack (Chicago)

What is goin on with the White sox, are they going to make any moves before the deadline is over?

GARY GILLETTE

Jack, they are not likely at this point to make a big move. More likely a modest deal to improve their bullpen and let them put McCarthy in the rotation, which they should have done long ago.

If we're putting McCarthy into the rotation, that means we'll have to trade one of our other starters. If that's not a big move, then I don't know what is.