I-Pod help!

whitesoxin'

So a friend of mine just sold me his 20GB i-pod and I want to add my music onto it. I have been trying for hours and can't get it. I put all my music onto I-Tunes and it still won't import the library. Is there any way that I can import my library onto the I-Pod? Any help is greatly appreciated.

You should probably look in itunes and make sure its reading the ipod. From there you should just click around in your settings and see what the settings are if it auto updates the ipod based on your library or whatever.

But you don't hit import library to get things on the ipod. Just look on your itunes and if your ipod is connected and synced in you should see the ipod (mine says Jason's Ipod) and than right click that and hit update.

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
So a friend of mine just sold me his 20GB i-pod and I want to add my music onto it. I have been trying for hours and can't get it. I put all my music onto I-Tunes and it still won't import the library. Is there any way that I can import my library onto the I-Pod? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Right click on the IPOD and make sure you are able to edit it.

I'll just tack this i-pod question here...

my computer with i-tunes recentally crashed, and likely not worth recovering. But if I install the software on a new computer, is there anything special I have to do when I add new music to it? I'm afraid that if I hit update i-pod, it will update with the new i-tunes with little music on it... any guidance?

I actually have another ipod question.

Do they really only make like 2/4 gb ipods and jump all the way to 30/60 gb ipods now?

I was going to get one, so I looked online. I have about 12 gb's of music on my computer, so the smaller ones are not enough, but then the larger ones seem like overkill.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
I actually have another ipod question.

Do they really only make like 2/4 gb ipods and jump all the way to 30/60 gb ipods now?

I was going to get one, so I looked online. I have about 12 gb's of music on my computer, so the smaller ones are not enough, but then the larger ones seem like overkill.

yeah, they span a wide variety of space. There is a 20 one. But I think the price difference for the ones you would be looking at aren't huge, so it might be worth it just to have the extra space

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
yeah, they span a wide variety of space. There is a 20 one. But I think the price difference for the ones you would be looking at aren't huge, so it might be worth it just to have the extra space

I've looked, and I can't find any 20 gb ones. I think they discontinued them or something.

It's just strange that they have such an enormous gap between the sizes.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
I've looked, and I can't find any 20 gb ones. I think they discontinued them or something.

It's just strange that they have such an enormous gap between the sizes.

They phased out the 20 gig Ipods and phased in the Nano's at the same time, IIRC. Im fairly sure my 20 gig Ipod was the last of its generation, and Nano took over.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
They phased out the 20 gig Ipods and phased in the Nano's at the same time, IIRC. Im fairly sure my 20 gig Ipod was the last of its generation, and Nano took over.

Yep, the 20 gigs are discontinued. Besides the nano pushing it aside their was a HD defect with the 20 gig ones so I wouldn't buy one from ebay or anyone. Take it from me, it sucks losing all your stuff.

I also have a question about the ipod videos. I am putting a movie into my ipod and I can select the resolution, but doesn't more resolution suck more battery power? On the website it says 2 hours of video battery life, but doesn't specify any thing else. Anyone know?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)

How much do the nano's hold, like 2 or 4?

There's no 10's either, right?

If I'm right about those two questions, then that gap is just fishing ridiculous.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)

my computer with i-tunes recentally crashed, and likely not worth recovering. But if I install the software on a new computer, is there anything special I have to do when I add new music to it? I'm afraid that if I hit update i-pod, it will update with the new i-tunes with little music on it... any guidance?

In the forums on the Apple support website there's a topic on this, but I'm having trouble finding it. This will transfer your iPod files to your computer. I've done it before so I'll try to get you through it. I have a 30 gb video iPod.

1. Dowload iTunes, make sure your iPod is set up as a hard disk. If you aren't sure then plug in your ipod (don't let it erase your stuff), go to Edit, Preferences, iPod and senable disk use. Click "Eject iPod," then reopen the preferences menu then replug the iPod into the computer. This will stop iTunes from reading the iPod. Wait about 15 seconds.

2. Go to My Computer and open the removable storage folder which may say iPod, but it should be next to your other hard drives. Open the file "iPod control." There is a folder named "Music." Save that file to your hard drive. This will take a while.

3. After the file transfer, remove your iPod by clicking the "Safely Remove Hardware" button in the task bar. Close the preferences menu in iTunes.

4. Plug your iPod back into the computer. In Itunes, go to File, Add Folder, and find the "Music" folder you just downloaded and add it to your iPod.

That should pretty much do it. It worked for me, so I hope I explained it right.

This might help: Apple

Edited by G&T

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
You should probably look in itunes and make sure its reading the ipod. From there you should just click around in your settings and see what the settings are if it auto updates the ipod based on your library or whatever.

But you don't hit import library to get things on the ipod. Just look on your itunes and if your ipod is connected and synced in you should see the ipod (mine says Jason's Ipod) and than right click that and hit update.

I've tried doing that, and it said that the I-Pod was being update in I-Tunes and the I-Pod itself said "Do no disconnect" but then the songs weren't loaded.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)

It will erase your ipod and update with the new library.

Use this: http://www.download.com/iPod-Agent/3000-2169_4-10338209.html

Follow the instructions and you should be good to go. I just recently had the exact same situation happen to me. My desktop crashed but I still had the music on my ipod. My brother gave me his laptop to use which had his itunes and all his music on it. I just used that Ipod Agent to import all my ipod music onto the computer and into the itunes folders. Once that was accomplished, I was able to sync the ipod to the laptop's itunes without losing any of my music.

QUOTE(G&T @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
In the forums on the Apple support website there's a topic on this, but I'm having trouble finding it. This will transfer your iPod files to your computer. I've done it before so I'll try to get you through it. I have a 30 gb video iPod.

1. Dowload iTunes, make sure your iPod is set up as a hard disk. If you aren't sure then plug in your ipod (don't let it erase your stuff), go to Edit, Preferences, iPod and senable disk use. Click "Eject iPod," then reopen the preferences menu then replug the iPod into the computer. This will stop iTunes from reading the iPod. Wait about 15 seconds.

2. Go to My Computer and open the removable storage folder which may say iPod, but it should be next to your other hard drives. Open the file "iPod control." There is a folder named "Music." Save that file to your hard drive. This will take a while.

3. After the file transfer, remove your iPod by clicking the "Safely Remove Hardware" button in the task bar. Close the preferences menu in iTunes.

4. Plug your iPod back into the computer. In Itunes, go to File, Add Folder, and find the "Music" folder you just downloaded and add it to your iPod.

That should pretty much do it. It worked for me, so I hope I explained it right.

This might help: Apple

thanks for your help, i'll try it this weekend hopefully and let you know!

QUOTE(whitesoxin @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
I've tried doing that, and it said that the I-Pod was being update in I-Tunes and the I-Pod itself said "Do no disconnect" but then the songs weren't loaded.

It takes a long while. The other thing I'd do, just go into the apple store they are real friendly and helpful. Just tell them whats up and they will probably explain things. You may just have to reset the ipod and reinstall everything.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
It takes a long while. The other thing I'd do, just go into the apple store they are real friendly and helpful. Just tell them whats up and they will probably explain things. You may just have to reset the ipod and reinstall everything.

Yeah but the problem with that is all the music (4,000 songs) that is on the i-pod currently is on my friends computer down in Indy. We'll see what happens.

• 1 month later...