maddux to dodgers

rangercal

The Cubs have reached a tentative deal to send Greg Maddux to the Dodgers.

The deal requires the commissioner's approval because it involves a cash transaction of more than $1 million going from the Cubs to the Dodgers. No word yet on the return. This will push either Chad Billingsley or Aaron Sele, probably Billingsley, out of the rotation. Jul. 31 - 4:07 pm et

Source: FOXSports.com

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
SI reporting that the Cubs are getting Izturis back... At his price, yuck.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...ades/index.html

wow, if all they could get was Izturis it shows that lower tier sp had zero value this year. I know maddux has been bad, but he would look good in a lot of contenders rotations at 4 or 5

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
I'm surprised the Cubs even got as much as Izturis.

Yeah on second thought, it's not a bad pickup. I thought his contract was a lot longer and a lot more expensive (he signed modest a 3 year, $9mil deal before 2005). I think they can stick him at short and Cedeno at second next season but that is entirely dependent on them getting a hell of a lot more offense out of their outfield. I assume Hendry tried to squeeze a prospect instead of Izturis but no budging on LAD's part.

thats a good trade for the cubs in getting a decent 2nd baseman. Now the cubs only need help on three new outfielders, starting pitching (about 3-4 new good pitchers), and someone who can close out a game without making it a 15 minute inning.