Javier Vazquez pissed at himself?

Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
Well, if he hates himself, then his wife and mother are the last two people on Earch who don't.

Wow, that is pretty harsh right there. Count me in as one who does not hate him and still hopes that he can straighten things out.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
I am Vaz

I suck

I am the 5th starter

I am supposed to suck

Why don't you go bother Mark "I can't hold a lead for schlitz" Buehrle?

The criticism of 5th starter Javy Vazquez is reasonable because he was expected to pitch much better than a 5th starter. If KW only thought of him as a 5th starter, he wouldn't have given up a top prospect and taken on his salary that's one of the highest on the team for him.

Mark Buehrle has been a much better pitcher over his career--and this season--than Javier Vazquez. Mark has pitched horribly for five consecutive starts, but his pitching history suggests his struggle is an aberration while Javy's poor pitching is consistent every year.

Javier Vazquez sucks and should not be defended.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 05:35 PM)
If KW only thought of him as a 5th starter, he wouldn't have given up a top prospect and taken on his salary that's one of the highest on the team for him.

A top prospect...and a pretty decent arm out of the pen...and a servicable...albiet fragile starter.

By far...KDub's CRAPPIEST move to date.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
A top prospect...and a pretty decent arm out of the pen...and a servicable...albiet fragile starter.

By far...KDub's CRAPPIEST move to date.

We'll be eating our share of crow next year when he's pitching like Jose Contreras did after a year of Cooper in his ear. Hopefully.

Ok since this is the first Vazquez topic I found,

Some interesting comments by Scott Merkin in his mlb.com wrap of the game tonight (8/1):

Mark Buehrle's quality start against the Royals holds equal long-term importance to the one-night efforts turned in by Crede and Riske. It was a rather short performance by the durable Buehrle's standards, working just six innings and throwing 93 pitches, but Guillen was determined to stick to his pregame plan.

Buehrle held an 0-5 record and 11.48 ERA over his last five starts, causing Guillen to look for an exit point that would give Buehrle a chance to win but no opportunity to lose. The southpaw allowed two earned runs on four hits, his lowest hit total since two-hitting the Cubs during a shutout on May 19, fanning three.

There also seemed to be a good working relationship between Buehrle and Sandy Alomar Jr., with the duo starting for the 75th time in the same lineup together. Alomar also drove in two runs, but Buehrle stressed that he works well with any catcher and the difference Tuesday was better pitch location. Buehrle also understood Guillen's choice for the early hook.

"When you have been struggling and get six quality innings in, they can go to the bullpen and keep my confidence going," Buehrle said. "I wanted to go back out there and pitch another inning, but I see where they are coming from."

"He was throwing the ball real good, but we had a plan and were going to stick to the plan," Guillen added. "Everyone in the bullpen was ready to go."

Does this mean we will see the stratedgy used with Vazquez as well??? Is Ozzie reading soxtalk.com?? Or am I just being to optimistic?

QUOTE(Shamrock4Life @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 01:07 AM)
Ok since this is the first Vazquez topic I found,

Some interesting comments by Scott Merkin in his mlb.com wrap of the game tonight (8/1):

Does this mean we will see the stratedgy used with Vazquez as well??? Is Ozzie reading soxtalk.com?? Or am I just being to optimistic?

Yes there will be a new strategy, the problem is that you want a starter to go 6 innings and Vaz is excellent after 5. It's such a strange situation but I think Vaz has to get the early hook from now on.

QUOTE(shoota @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 05:35 PM)
The criticism of 5th starter Javy Vazquez is reasonable because he was expected to pitch much better than a 5th starter. If KW only thought of him as a 5th starter, he wouldn't have given up a top prospect and taken on his salary that's one of the highest on the team for him.

Mark Buehrle has been a much better pitcher over his career--and this season--than Javier Vazquez. Mark has pitched horribly for five consecutive starts, but his pitching history suggests his struggle is an aberration while Javy's poor pitching is consistent every year.

Javier Vazquez sucks and should not be defended.

Thank you for at least being honest about what's really bugging people about Vaz, the $$$ that KW gave him.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:21 AM)
Thank you for at least being honest about what's really bugging people about Vaz, the $$$ that KW gave him.

KW didn't give him any money. The Yankees did. We just took on almost all of it, though.

Oh, and Alomar has looked pretty good, even though it's such a small sample. His arm actually doens't look bad at all, and he's a bit more mobile than I expected. He can really contribute if it's only once every 5 days.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
KW didn't give him any money. The Yankees did. We just took on almost all of it, though.

Oh, and Alomar has looked pretty good, even though it's such a small sample. His arm actually doens't look bad at all, and he's a bit more mobile than I expected. He can really contribute if it's only once every 5 days.

Last night it looked like Alomar moved around a lot to give Mark a better target. AJ and Widge don't move much, so I'm wondering if that helped Mark just throw to the glove.

QUOTE(G&T @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
Last night it looked like Alomar moved around a lot to give Mark a better target. AJ and Widge don't move much, so I'm wondering if that helped Mark just throw to the glove.

You may have something there. If Sandy is moving his body and not just the glove, in other words framing the glove for Mark, it may make it easier for Mark to pick up the glove coming out of his delivery ... or his eyes hit the target sooner ... or something.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)

You get my point.

I wonder what the deal was with Mark and AJ.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Wow, that is pretty harsh right there. Count me in as one who does not hate him and still hopes that he can straighten things out.

All I want to see is his anger or disgust with himself finally translate into more than 5 innings of super pitching followed by the inevitable meltdown. Maybe now that he and Cooper have had some intense sessions we will see something like 7 innings of really good baseball from him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
I noticed that Alomar set up much farther off of the corners than our other catchers do. A few times, Buehrle hit the mit, and it was still a ball. I like that approach, as it gets Buehrle to pitch away from the heart of the plate.

Yeah, Hawk talked about this earlier this year with Garland and how AJ should move off the plate inside to make him throw it there. AJ and Widge never really did it, but Sandy did. At least last night.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:21 AM)

I'm not angry with him for his costs in terms of money.

I'm mad for his costs in terms of wins. As much as I loved it when Tadahito Iguchi knocked in seven runs to erase a huge deficit, I hate it when a pitcher puts his team in that position, and Javier always puts us in a hole.

The money doesn't help, though. No sir. That overpaid maniac.

I was at the white sox at baltimore game sitting right behind the plate and he was hitting his spots but they were just hitting him.

Seems to me he pitches well and then just misses on key pitches and he gets hurt. He should be pissed at himself but he didnt have much success when he pitched in a yankee uni.