Fastballs and our starters

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
Why are you so obsessed about Freddy smoking pot? no one else on this board ever talks about it but you. just because he got caught in the offseason doesnt mean hes a pothead and does it all the time. im sure you drink sometimes does that make you and alcoholic?

i really dont think thats the reason freddy has lost velocity and isnt the same pitcher. The steroids or amphetimines makes a lot more sense to me.

Didn't you know, Garcia is the only MLB player to smoke pot. Also, I'm sure if Garcia did do it in the offseason, it likely wasn't his first time ever doing it. Thus, why didn't he lose his velocity in season's past if this is the way he "trains" in the offseason.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
Why are you so obsessed about Freddy smoking pot? no one else on this board ever talks about it but you. just because he got caught in the offseason doesnt mean hes a pothead and does it all the time. im sure you drink sometimes does that make you and alcoholic?

i really dont think thats the reason freddy has lost velocity and isnt the same pitcher. The steroids or amphetimines makes a lot more sense to me.

Uh, in that instance, I was responding to something someone else said, which I'm sure you must've read unless you're simply following me about the board looking for Freddy Comments.

Why are you so upset by me musing about Freddy's drug use -- are you trying to defend Freddy's reputation, Mrs. Garcia? All I did was say that, hey, he's getting fatter, was caught with too much marijuana in his system, and has lost velocity in his fastball. Marijuana + Freddy might = why he's out of shape and throwing softer.

Steroids and amphetamines seem like a better fit to me, too, but I don't put it past him that, hey, drug use might be a problem for dear old Freddy.

And, not to play holier than thou, but I don't drink, do drugs or smoke cigarrettes, either. I don't take pain pills when I get hurt because I have a personal rule about dealing with pain (ever since I split my right index finger open on the Fourth of July in an accident a few years ago), and I don't take Tylenols, either.

What else are you sure of?

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
Didn't you know, Garcia is the only MLB player to smoke pot. Also, I'm sure if Garcia did do it in the offseason, it likely wasn't his first time ever doing it. Thus, why didn't he lose his velocity in season's past if this is the way he "trains" in the offseason.

Don't put sarcastic words in my mouth, fathom. I'm sure plenty of players smoke pot. I don't see that many that have also gotten fatter, appear lazier, and have lost a lot of their talent, too.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
Don't put sarcastic words in my mouth, fathom. I'm sure plenty of players smoke pot. I don't see that many that have also gotten fatter, appear lazier, and have lost a lot of their talent, too.

Man, I don't know whether to go after CC or David Wells here...

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)

exactly, if he's been doing it for years why would it just now affect him. and your right im sure there are tons of players that do it.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)

Do you honestly believe that Garcia's marijuana use has led to his physical condition this season? Garcia has been a NOTORIOUS partier for years...I'm sure whatever he did this offseason was no worse than what he's done in the past. The more I hear injury/steroid excuses for our starters, the more it annoys me. We have a lot of pitchers who threw a ton of innings/pitches last season, and it's not an exaggeration to say they were very stressful innings also. By no means are we the first team to make a long postseason run, and then the next season, our pitching just wasn't effective.

I don't know, Cliff Politte lost a lot of his talent this offseason. Should I send him a bunch of fritos and twinkies? :P

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
Do you honestly believe that Garcia's marijuana use has led to his physical condition this season? Garcia has been a NOTORIOUS partier for years...I'm sure whatever he did this offseason was no worse than what he's done in the past. The more I hear injury/steroid excuses for our starters, the more it annoys me. We have a lot of pitchers who threw a ton of innings/pitches last season, and it's not an exaggeration to say they were very stressful innings also. By no means are we the first team to make a long postseason run, and then the next season, our pitching just wasn't effective.

I don't know, Cliff Politte lost a lot of his talent this offseason. Should I send him a bunch of fritos and twinkies?

Didn't you read what I wrote, fathom, or are you intent on putting words in my mouth?

I said that steroid use was probably a more likely explanation, but that I don't feel his extra weight and all these other things help.

And, about Politte, we know he's hurt and has been playing hurt. His elbow's all messed up.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Uh, in that instance, I was responding to something someone else said, which I'm sure you must've read unless you're simply following me about the board looking for Freddy Comments.

Why are you so upset by me musing about Freddy's drug use -- are you trying to defend Freddy's reputation, Mrs. Garcia? All I did was say that, hey, he's getting fatter, was caught with too much marijuana in his system, and has lost velocity in his fastball. Marijuana + Freddy might = why he's out of shape and throwing softer.

Steroids and amphetamines seem like a better fit to me, too, but I don't put it past him that, hey, drug use might be a problem for dear old Freddy.

And, not to play holier than thou, but I don't drink, do drugs or smoke cigarrettes, either. I don't take pain pills when I get hurt because I have a personal rule about dealing with pain (ever since I split my right index finger open on the Fourth of July in an accident a few years ago), and I don't take Tylenols, either.

What else are you sure of?

yeah thats pretty much what i do with my time, look every time you mention someone smoking marijuana. im not saying thats not an option as to why he has gotten worse as a player but it wouldnt be one of the first things that come to mind considering the types of enhancements that were used in the 90's and early 2000's.

All I'm saying is everytime anything is mentioned about Freddy your name seems to follow it with him smoking marijuana.

congrads on not ever drinking or doing anything harmful to your body, maybe you can go out there and teach Garcia a thing or two about how to live.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
And, about Politte, we know he's hurt and has been playing hurt. His elbow's all messed up.

There's no way to know if he's hurt, or it's just an excuse for a lack of velocity this season. If he was really had bone chips like they said he did, they wouldn't have brought him off of the DL. I think the whole reason some of us are commenting on the marijuana issue is because you bring it up everytime you discuss Garcia's condition. Last time I checked, an offseason of drinking alcohol is just as likely to make someone gain weight.

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
yeah thats pretty much what i do with my time, look every time you mention someone smoking marijuana. im not saying thats not an option as to why he has gotten worse as a player but it wouldnt be one of the first things that come to mind considering the types of enhancements that were used in the 90's and early 2000's.

All I'm saying is everytime anything is mentioned about Freddy your name seems to follow it with him smoking marijuana.

congrads on not ever drinking or doing anything harmful to your body, maybe you can go out there and teach Garcia a thing or two about how to live.

Freddy Garcia is a big fat washed up lazy pot smoker who might possibly be feeling the after-effects of steroid use.

I'll be glad when he's gone next spring.

And I didn't always feel this way about Freddy, either, but whatever.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
There's no way to know if he's hurt, or it's just an excuse for a lack of velocity this season. If he was really had bone chips like they said he did, they wouldn't have brought him off of the DL. I think the whole reason some of us are commenting on the marijuana issue is because you bring it up everytime you discuss Garcia's condition. Last time I checked, an offseason of drinking alcohol is just as likely to make someone gain weight.

Whatever it was, Garcia should be ashamed at what he's done to himself.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Freddy Garcia is a big fat washed up lazy pot smoker who might possibly be feeling the after-effects of steroid use.

I'll be glad when he's gone next spring.

And I didn't always feel this way about Freddy, either, but whatever.

I'll be glad when he's gone too because hes not pitching like he used too, however his personal life has nothing to do with me wanting him gone.

QUOTE(kevo880 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
I'll be glad when he's gone too because hes not pitching like he used too, however his personal life has nothing to do with me wanting him gone.

Normally I'd agree with that sentiment, but when what he does in his free time has made him into a mediocrity, there're some problems.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)

Maybe Garcia threw his arm out last year? We have absolutely no clue what has happened to his fastball. Those are pretty strong words for someone who's pitching for your favorite team. There have been hundreds of other professional athletes who have ruined their careers with substance abuse. Garcia is definitely not one of them.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
Normally I'd agree with that sentiment, but when what he does in his free time has made him into a mediocrity, there're some problems.

Here's a question...how about some of the great players in the league who are doing worse drugs in the offseason? If heavy pot use diminished an athlete's ability as much as you believe, every player in the NBA would look like Shawn Kemp now.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)

you dont know what he does all offseason. what if he smoked one time, failed his drug test, and that was that. maybe it was just an offseason of eating bad food and being lazy? its all speculation so whats the point of even talking about it anymore

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Maybe Garcia threw his arm out last year? We have absolutely no clue what has happened to his fastball. Those are pretty strong words for someone who's pitching for your favorite team. There have been hundreds of other professional athletes who have ruined their careers with substance abuse. Garcia is definitely not one of them.

What about steroids -- those are substances he might've abused, and that I think are very possible.

His velocity's been going down year after year, and he's in the prime of his career, too, age-wise.

Here's a question...how about some of the great players in the league who are doing worse drugs in the offseason? If heavy pot use diminished an athlete's ability as much as you believe, every player in the NBA would look like Shawn Kemp now.

I didn't say that heavy pot use diminished your ability, on its own. All I said was that the whole Garcia package is rotten, and coupled with the pot use there are some seriously problems.

And, for anyone who is saying that he's hurt, might've thrown his arm out, or simply had a "lazy" offseason, I don't think that's the case. His velocity is gone for good.

QUOTE(Al Lopez @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 06:49 AM)
Then he added this: last year Buerhle's fast ball, when it was on, was at 85 mph. This year he reaches 85 only 44% of the time.

The numbers support what our eyes are telling us.

This is a lie and a half...

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
What about steroids -- those are substances he might've abused, and that I think are very possible.

His velocity's been going down year after year, and he's in the prime of his career, too, age-wise.

I didn't say that heavy pot use diminished your ability, on its own. All I said was that the whole Garcia package is rotten, and coupled with the pot use there are some seriously problems.

And, for anyone who is saying that he's hurt, might've thrown his arm out, or simply had a "lazy" offseason, I don't think that's the case. His velocity is gone for good.

I would have had absolutely no issue with your argument if you stated it this way. :cheers

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)

Nothing wrong with a little relaxation.

QUOTE(Al Lopez @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
Well hold on here. What specifically is the lie and a half, and who do you think is lying here? Sure isn't me.

Buehrle's fastball when it is ''on'' is in the 89-91 range... not 85. He reaches 85 with every fastball he throws up there... not just 44% of the time. Could have just been a type i suppose...

QUOTE(qwerty @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
Buehrle's fastball when it is ''on'' is in the 89-91 range... not 85. He reaches 85 with every fastball he throws up there... not just 44% of the time. Could have just been a type i suppose...

i was thinking the same thing

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
I'm about done with this thread. I think it's clear that I feel Freddy's a bum.

Wait! Don't go yet. I want to hear more about your 4th of July injury. Why did it change your perspective on dealing with pain?

BTW, I also do not smoke pot, drink much alcohol or caffeine, and avoid taking any kind of medication, in particular pain killers. I did, however, take 2 Walgreens brand "excedrin" about an hour ago for an energy boost. The reason I mention this is the impact of something as minor as Excedrin is considerable and shows how powerful some of the more potent stuff professional athletes take can be.

I do not want to speculate on Freddy's lifestyle, but if his reputation of being a partier is well-earned, my guess is he has relied heavily on various forms of energy boosts to get him through his starts in the past. It is very possible he is having trouble adjusting to the new rules and has not given up some of the lifestyle to balance things out. I also agree that pot smoking by itself may not be the culprit of Freddy's woes, but years of abusing your body with various chemicals eventually takes it toll on anyone, every a genetic giant like Freddy. My guess is Freddy is a classic example of a player with a ton of talent who enjoyed the perks of being a professional athlete too much. Those guys dazzle us for several years and then seem to tail off drastically after their early thirties pass. I hope he turns it around but my guess is it is time to find someone to replace him next year.