Fastballs and our starters

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(qwerty @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
Buehrle's fastball when it is ''on'' is in the 89-91 range... not 85. He reaches 85 with every fastball he throws up there... not just 44% of the time. Could have just been a type i suppose...

Mark has been getting pounded lately - since at least the Cub game, and a couple of times before that too. He's lost his last 5 starts and his era in those games is over 11. So I would suggest that he hasn't been "on" much this season, and in my opinion his velocity is down. Which is what the Infosolutions guy was saying too. Nothing would please me more than Mark going out there tonight with his best stuff, because we would win and feel a whole lot better about our chances the rest of the way.

We can agree to disagree, but lying, that's not me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
Buehrle's fastball when it is ''on'' is in the 89-91 range... not 85. He reaches 85 with every fastball he throws up there... not just 44% of the time. Could have just been a type i suppose...

Yesterday I watched Buehrle's KC game again, and wrote down the pitch speed they showed on tv. There were 14 pitches that they didn't show a speed on. There was one pitch in the 3rd that they showed at 94 but I think it was a mistake, because that pitch was lined into right center, and I think they actually measured the outgoing ball, so to speak.

Of the 79 other pitches, he hit 89 twice. He never got higher. He hit 85 once, he hit 86 six times and 87 once.

He threw 41 pitches between 80 and 84; He threw 20 pitches in the 70's; He threw 8 piches in the 60's.