Castro ailing..

Steff

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
My guess is that he's already dead. They sit on these sort of announcements for a long time.

That's what I've heard a bit as well.

Ninoska Perez, a leading anti-Castro activist in Miami, said it was quite possible Castro was in critical condition, or even dead.

"They may be trying to gain time," she said in reference to Cuban authorities. "If he is dead, they will announce it when they are ready," she said.

Would be a blow to the likes of Hugo Chavez in Venezuela as well I would imagine.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 11:18 AM)
Not so fast. Raul Castro takes hold when Fidel leaves. He's all about toeing the line and maybe ratcheting it down even tighter than Fidel did.

Fidel was an opportunist. Raul was the Marxist.

Raul is an even bigger penis than Fidel, however unlike Fidel, he doesn't have the undying love and support of his military. If Fidel indeed bit the dust, Raul is going to have some issues keeping the status quo in order down there.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
El Pulpo!

Despot smespot, who cares, just so long as we get our bananas. ;)

Come mister tally man, tally me bananas...

C'MON EVERYBODY!!!

Daylight come and me wanna go home!!!

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 04:07 PM)
Raul is an even bigger penis than Fidel, however unlike Fidel, he doesn't have the undying love and support of his military. If Fidel indeed bit the dust, Raul is going to have some issues keeping the status quo in order down there.

Exactly. And I think they have had just about enough of the bull and may be ready to say "take this job and shove it". Especially since they can blame all their misdoings on Fidel and not be prosecuted for the past.

There's no guarantee of an overthrow if Fidel dies. I expect little to actually change for a few months at least - and most likely a gradual moderation. If the US wanted to see Fidel's power disappear, we'd end the embargo and make it fair game for US interests to reappear in Cuba.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
There's no guarantee of an overthrow if Fidel dies. I expect little to actually change for a few months at least - and most likely a gradual moderation. If the US wanted to see Fidel's power disappear, we'd end the embargo and make it fair game for US interests to reappear in Cuba.

I think the reality is that it's far more likely that we'll wind up ending the embargo and allowing that to happen the moment the Castros themselves are dead and all of the personal issues between the U.S. and that one man can be put aside.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a guess here, but I think adidas is a sponsor of their track and field team. They're a German company, so it wouldn't violate the U. S. embargo.

I'm pretty certain Cuba couldn't make that stuff themselves, unless there's a way to spin sugar and tobacco into wearable fibers.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 14, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
additioncubacastrosffny11020060813062244

Well supposedly this pic proves Castro is alive. But it just looks fake in a few ways, and plus, he's contributing to the evil capitalist company Adidas if true.

He's got the same beard as Gage. Weird.