August 06 QOTM

Heads22

Wow, how tall is Sandy?

Sandy Alomar goes about 8' 11''. Eats polar bears for lunch, and I once saw him scissor kick Angela Lansbury at a Dodgers game.

Yeah. Even despite that he's still not quite qualified to polish Chuck Norris's shoes.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Aug 7, 2006 -> 08:38 AM)
People here are incredibly fickle. Here's a breakdown of at least the most vocal members of Soxtalk, and where they stand on the season on a particular day:

After a win: Winning the Central

After a loss: Winning the Wild Card

After a two-game winning streak: Give us the rings.

After a two-game losing streak: Playing golf in October.

And if you feel offended in any way by the above chart, you most likely are a person this chart is describing.

Its funny because its true :)

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
TOP TEN THINGS THAT MAKE A GOOD SOXTALK.COM POSTER:

10. ABILITY TO POST "SEND [iNSERT STARTER'S NAME HERE] TO THE BULLPEN AND START B-MAC" THREAD EVERY WEEK

9. DEMONSTRATE CLINICAL SCHIZOPHRENIA, BETWEEN "WE'RE DOOMED" SCENARIOS AFTER A LOSS AND

"ALL THE PIECES ARE IN PLACE!" AFTER A WIN

8. ENTER INTO LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIHP WITH JOHN GARLAND. FIRST HALF HE WAS "JUDY"; SECOND HALF HE'S OUR ONLY HOPE, OBI WAN, OUR ONLY HOPE (THE REVERSE BEING TRUE LAST YEAR)

7. ENJOY BEING PUT IN THE DAMNED-IF-YOU-DO SITUATION OF PICKING A CENTER FIELDER TO START ONCE AND FOR ALL: ANDERSON = GREAT GLOVE AND NOODLE BAT; MACOWIAK = OKAY BAT BUT SPECIAL-OLYMPICS-LIKE CF ABILITY

6. SECOND-GUESS OZZIE WITHOUT "REALLY" SECOND-GUESSING HIM, BY PREFACING POSTS WITH DISCLAIMERS LIKE: "I'M NOT TRYING TO BE AN ARMCHAIR MANAGER, BUT...", WHILE PARKED FIRMLY IN YOUR LAY-Z-BOY

5. PISS EVERYBODY OFF BY STARTING AN ATTENDANCE THREAD

4. PULL "RANK" WITH A NEWBIE BY TIPPING YOUR AGE: "HEY, KID! I WAS THERE WHEN LUKE APPLING HIT FOR THE CYCLE. BACK WHEN CARS COULDN'T GO UP HILLS!"

3. REFER TO NOW-DEPARTED BACKUP CATCHER AS "THE WIDGENATOR"

2. KNOW TO INSTINCTIVELY MUTE TV PLAY-BY-PLAY WHEN HAWK UTTERS DEADLY PHRASE: "WELL, BACK WHEN I WAS A PLAYER..."

1. ACKNOWLEDGE THAT GREATEST BROADCAST MOMENT IN RECENT SOX HISTORY WASN'T HAWK'S "JOOOOE! CREEEEEDE!" BUT RATHER A BORED-OUT-OF-HIS-SKULL DJ SINGING "BILLY, DON'T BE A HERO" DURING THE BROADCAST OF AN AWAY GAME

Yup, sounds good to me.

:headbang

• 2 weeks later...

From the "someone let loose live rattlesnakes during a showing of "Snakes on a Plane"

QUOTE(knightni @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 02:51 AM)
Damn.

Where was this when I saw "Live Nude Girls"?

In the thread about Pluto losing planetary status...

QUOTE(juddling @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:57 AM)
...and in other news today...it was announced that the ACLU has filed suit in federal court on Pluto's behalf to keep it's 'planet' status. In a statement issued today the ACLU stated that it can't believe that in this day and age that size still matters.

:bang :bang

We have some pretty smart people around here, from SS

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
How exactly would you propose finding a labor force to build a city of about 500,000 people in a really poor city, where half the city has not returned, much of the city is still in ruins because many residents are using their constitutional rights to resist wholesale demolition of their buildings and property in many instances, meanwhile resisting such historical tools of segregation such as quick bulk housing projects which are getting torn down in the rest of the country?

There are a ton of factors at work here. Its not just as simple as the article wants to make it. Read between the numbers here...

-You have to find enough people who have the ability to build, and all of the different skills that it takes to do so, for both commericial and resident facilities. You aren't talking about the usual building that goes on perpetually in a city, but literally the largest sustained construction project ever undertaken in the history of the United States. So on top of needing a way larger construction force than ever did exsist in New Orleans, you are talking about a city that has lost half of its residents by most estimates. In other words your labor pool has just fallen by half, while needing an astronomical amount more labor. How many people just have the ability to uproot and leave to work in New Orleans because that is where the labor is needed? Most people working construction are probably pretty fixed into their labor market, as are most people. They have a solid job, with a good salary, family, friends etc. Basically to cut between the lines there are going to be two types of people who will go to NO work, and that is either people who can't resist a bunch more money, or people who need work really bad and have the ability to just up and leave for it. That means a lot of illegal labor, and a lot of high wages. It only makes sense that home prices are going to go way up, because it is going to cost a lot more to get extra labor to build NO.

-Materials have to come from somewhere to build all of these places again. Once again, when demand surges for something, the cost of it is going to go up. No one planned on Katrina happening in 2005, including the people who supply homebuilding materials. With a fixed supply and a jump in demand, once again that means higher costs, which means higher home prices.

-Much of New Orleans is still a disaster area, which means there are still big areas that aren't being built in. large swaths of NO still don't have basic infrastructure such as passable roads, electricity, phone, etc, which limits how many areas can be built in at one time, even if you were to have enough labor to meet demands. Again there is yet another limit, this time on housing supply.

-If New Orleans were predominatly poor before the storm, and these poor people lost what little they did have, where are they going to find the money to buy into a market that costs way more than when they left? The answer is, they aren't. There is going to be a demographic shift towards the people who can afford to buy in New Orleans, which by and large isn't the former poor black residents.

ssi71 after the 8/25 game:

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
PFB is in full effect.

Ozzie could take a gun and start shooting up the crowd and he would spin it as some of those people were probably old and would of died tomorrow anyways.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 12:14 AM)
Their screener just hung up on me. I asked if I was going to be allowed to ask a real critical question or would Bagdad Bob get all mad at me if I put frown in his happy loss post game palooza.

At least something good comes out of tonight's game.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
Well, you're basically wrong on both fronts. Not really sure why you mentioned the Cubs, as far as I know they've never signed a draft pick with a clause in his contract that he must be called up by September after being drafted earlier in the season.

It has nothing to do with being thin pitching wise, they HAVE to call him up.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
cavemen.jpg

Try doing a little research next time...

Excellent use of pop culture, I rate it a QOTM