New Idea for leadoff hitter next year

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 08:28 AM)
lol just leave it alone man... if it goes any further than mods will delete thread or something. If anything just say take it to PM's.

As for Uribe... I agree when he is 100% focused his talent level is good enough to be a gold glover. But I guess you can say the same thing about Freddy.... when focused he can be a dominant pitcher. And really im sick of those guys on this team... you should be "focused" all season long not just for certain games or for 2-3 weeks at a time and than nothing for months.

I never even thought of moving Uribe because I think I'm still too stuck on 05. Not even all of 05, just the World Series. What he did in that last inning...I'll remember it forever. I can't base my opinion off 2/3 of an inning though. While he has a buttload of talent, he's just way too inconsistent and....lackadasical. I won't say lazy, as I feel no Major League player is lazy. You don't make it to the big show by going through the motions. Freddy and Uribe are very similar: they have all the talent in the world, but they don't seem willing to take it to that next level. On the flip side, you can look at Joe Crede. He had/has all the talent in the world, and after a few years of mediocre numbers he hit the weight room hard, got stronger, and now look where he is. We're talking .300 30 100 out of the 7th place hitter! His defense hasn't been as consistent as last year, but it's still been fantastic. Some guys are willing to do "that" much more, some aren't.

Kenny was right on with the whole "grinder" thing. I don't see Uribe and Freddy as "grinders". At least we know Podsednik just isn't that good, lol.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we can trade McCarthy in a deal for Crawford. It's true that Crawford is proven and McCarthy isn't as much, but we'd have absolutely no replacement for Garcia/Vazquez if he were to be traded. And we all know that at least one of them is gone next year.

How close is broadway to the show (no pun intended)? Could he possibly be a starter for us next year or good enough to be involved in a deal for Crawford?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
I don't think we can trade McCarthy in a deal for Crawford. It's true that Crawford is proven and McCarthy isn't as much, but we'd have absolutely no replacement for Garcia/Vazquez if he were to be traded. And we all know that at least one of them is gone next year.

How close is broadway to the show (no pun intended)? Could he possibly be a starter for us next year or good enough to be involved in a deal for Crawford?

Yeah I know a lot of people here are gushing over Crawford, and he's a damn good player, but I wouldn't be trading B-Mac as part of a deal for him for the reasons you've said.

Frankly what I think is a good idea is to sign a Dellucci, shop Pods to a NL team this off-season (possibly for prospects), and trade Garcia, and let B-Mac take over Freddy's spot in the rotation.

Broadway's done pretty well in AA this season, and IIRC he had a real good last outing. I'd like to see what he could do in Charlotte though. He probably could be a decent 5th starter for some teams next season, but I'd like to see him in AAA next season and ready for 2008, when we've got some contracts of the SP's ending like Buehrle's.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 09:42 AM)
Yeah I know a lot of people here are gushing over Crawford, and he's a damn good player, but I wouldn't be trading B-Mac as part of a deal for him for the reasons you've said.

Frankly what I think is a good idea is to sign a Dellucci, shop Pods to a NL team this off-season (possibly for prospects), and trade Garcia, and let B-Mac take over Freddy's spot in the rotation.

Broadway's done pretty well in AA this season, and IIRC he had a real good last outing. I'd like to see what he could do in Charlotte though. He probably could be a decent 5th starter for some teams next season, but I'd like to see him in AAA next season and ready for 2008, when we've got some contracts of the SP's ending like Buehrle's.

Man, you really get hung up on random players :lol: I'm still waiting for Chad Tracy. I guess I'm not one to talk, since I'm pretty hung up on Garcia/Vazquez/Pods.

Do you know how to get minor leaguers' stats? I've been wondering what guys like Broadway and Haegar are doing.

Do you know how to get minor leaguers' stats? I've been wondering what guys like Broadway and Haegar are doing.

Baseball America, they update every day and it's part of their free content.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
Thanks.

It seems Haeger's ERA is now up to 3. Wasn't he under 1 when he was first called up?

And Broadway's at 2.77, that's nice.

Neither are ready for the show. Look at more than their ERA to determine their worth.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
Neither are ready for the show. Look at more than their ERA to determine their worth.

I still think Haeger should be starting in the big leagues...not with us, but with someone, preferably (for him) in the NL. If not this season, then certainly to start next year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
I still think Haeger should be starting in the big leagues...not with us, but with someone, preferably (for him) in the NL. If not this season, then certainly to start next year.

Interesting, I thought he just learned the knuckle ball a couple years ago?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)

Yeah, his inability to throw strikes will keep him from that stage. It will take him a few years.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
Yeah, his inability to throw strikes will keep him from that stage. It will take him a few years.

I agree on that, but I don't know if he's going to learn that lesson the way it needs to be learned if he's not facing big league hitters. He gets into Washington, or Pittsburgh, San Fran, or even Tampa/K.C., gets to deal with a ML pitching coach, gets a routine, and gets to face guys that can really hurt him, and I bet he'll pick it up pretty quick.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
I agree on that, but I don't know if he's going to learn that lesson the way it needs to be learned if he's not facing big league hitters. He gets into Washington, or Pittsburgh, San Fran, or even Tampa/K.C., gets to deal with a ML pitching coach, gets a routine, and gets to face guys that can really hurt him, and I bet he'll pick it up pretty quick.

Its possible. But the knuckler isnt that much like pitching as we know it. The key is consistency of delivery more than anything, and he is really only going to learn that after time. The question is whether you want this time to come from getting slapped around at the big leagues, or befuddling minor league hitters.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Its possible. But the knuckler isnt that much like pitching as we know it. The key is consistency of delivery more than anything, and he is really only going to learn that after time. The question is whether you want this time to come from getting slapped around at the big leagues, or befuddling minor league hitters.

You could substitute "National League hitters" right here. With the NL so weak, a guy like Haeger would have value. The 5th starters in the NL are filled with AAAA players.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:54 AM)
Man, you really get hung up on random players :lol: I'm still waiting for Chad Tracy. I guess I'm not one to talk, since I'm pretty hung up on Garcia/Vazquez/Pods.

Haha, that's a good observation you've picked up there Milkman.

I guess I just get into these phases where I really like a random player for a week or 2. Generally they have to be fairly young or mid age, not have a big contract, and should be fairly attainable.

Chad Tracy was one, and he had a good start to the season, so the D-Backs re-signed him to a multi - year deal. But a bad June and July have set him back. He's still off to a good start this month though, and I think he'll be fine in the long run. At the time, I thought he would have been a good option for 1B and let Kong DH, but hey we got Thome, so I ain't complaining.

Another guy I liked was Scott Cassidy (as Rowand would attest to, he and Ace generally try to nit-pick these ballplayers). He got demoted to AAA despite having a 2.79 ERA in 37 games for the Padres this season.

But now onto Dellucci. I love that OBP of his (.393 now). The guy also knows how to take a walk. Basically I've decribed him as a version of Pods, with a little more power and better defensive capabilities who can play all 3 OF positions.

Tell me this. Would you rather have Crawford at the expense of the likes of B-Mac and Broadway, or would you rather sign Dellucci, to give you the flexibility to trade Pods and a starter, so B-Mac can move into the rotation? Unfortunately Dellucci doesn't steal a base, and you know really likes having that speed at the top of the order.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:43 AM)
Personally Id rather sign DeRosa or Gary Mathews Jr. than Dellucci... but all 3 are good choices and all 3 will be ex-rangers just to add it in :drink .

I guess it would actually go in this order

Mathews Jr.

Dellucci

DeRosa.

The thing is with Matthews, he's probably going to get a bigger contract than Dellucci, plus if you sign him either him or Anderson would have to play LF, which negates their defensive value.

The Rangers have definitely produced some good OF's though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
The thing is with Matthews, he's probably going to get a bigger contract than Dellucci, plus if you sign him either him or Anderson would have to play LF, which negates their defensive value.

The Rangers have definitely produced some good OF's though.

Yeah but when you have 2 guys who are great CF's defensively in 1 OF that is going to be some great defense. The difference between Mathews Jr/Anderson to Podsenick would be huge. Personally though im on the idea that we trade Dye this off-season while his value is sky high and maybe package him with one of our starters for a Oswalt or something like that.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
Yeah but when you have 2 guys who are great CF's defensively in 1 OF that is going to be some great defense. The difference between Mathews Jr/Anderson to Podsenick would be huge. Personally though im on the idea that we trade Dye this off-season while his value is sky high and maybe package him with one of our starters for a Oswalt or something like that.

I agree on the getting Oswalt idea. Probably a good idea to move Dye for him since Dye is getting towards his mid 30's and will be in the final year of his deal.

I'd still rather Dellucci over Matthews Jr. though, although they both carry risk. I've heard Matthews could get quite a nice 3 to 4 year deal this off-season.

The reason I suggest Mathews is he is a much better athlete and has always had the tools. He started to turn it around last season and this season he has rocked also he is more of a leadoff hitter than Dellucci is. And we all know how Ozzie/KW love speed so he makes more sense.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)
The reason I suggest Mathews is he is a much better athlete and has always had the tools. He started to turn it around last season and this season he has rocked also he is more of a leadoff hitter than Dellucci is. And we all know how Ozzie/KW love speed so he makes more sense.

Matthews put up a .340 OBP post ASB last season, and has a .371 OBP so far this season. Thing is he only has 7 SB's so far this season. I don't know whether that's just the Rangers not letting him run enough, or a reflection of his ability to steal bases.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you could sign Dellucci to leadoff and still have some money left over to put towards another FA like a reliever, I would rather go that route, but they both have merits, and it will be interesting to see what KW decides to do this off-season with the OF and leadoff hitter situation. It's fun to speculate and discuss nonetheless.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
Tell me this. Would you rather have Crawford at the expense of the likes of B-Mac and Broadway, or would you rather sign Dellucci, to give you the flexibility to trade Pods and a starter, so B-Mac can move into the rotation? Unfortunately Dellucci doesn't steal a base, and you know really likes having that speed at the top of the order.

With the way I harp on the starting pitching, do you really think I would trade our only cheap replacement after the year? :lol:

BTW, who would play RF if we traded Dye?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:43 AM)
BTW, who would play RF if we traded Dye?

Now this is where it gets interesting and where KW will make his money here.

He could go with Ryan Sweeney. Sweeney's picked it up as of late, but I would still personally prefer him to have another season at Charlotte so he can keep improving especially with his power.

So most likely maybe a stopgap in the FA market, or possibly a trade. There are options like Jose Guillen who may decide on a 1 year deal to try and increase his value all over again so he can get a nice payday next off-season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
Now this is where it gets interesting and where KW will make his money here.

He could go with Ryan Sweeney. Sweeney's picked it up as of late, but I would still personally prefer him to have another season at Charlotte so he can keep improving especially with his power.

So most likely maybe a stopgap in the FA market, or possibly a trade. There are options like Jose Guillen who may decide on a 1 year deal to try and increase his value all over again so he can get a nice payday next off-season.

I definitely wouldn't want Sweeney taking Dye's spot. With Anderson's struggles this year, I'm not nearly sure enough that he's going to do well enough to have two liabilities in our OF alone.

EDIT: I wish the Mariners would just decide to completely rebuild and give us Ichiro. That's my dream scenario.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
I definitely wouldn't want Sweeney taking Dye's spot. With Anderson's struggles this year, I'm not nearly sure enough that he's going to do well enough to have two liabilities in our OF alone.

I know in another post Keith (CWSGuy) thought Sweeney could post a .275/.330/.400 line or somewhere around that. Personally I think that's still a little too optimistic, even though Sweeney has a better swing than BA. That's kind of like a Jason Michaels type of production.

Hence, why I think a 1 year stopgap in FA would be the best case scenario, to give Sweeney that extra year of development in the minors.