Midseason Top 20 coming soon

Heads22

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 11:51 PM)
Just use Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson. ;)

Can we use Jenks too and Lumsden and Cortes and hell just pick Garza and Carillo since we could have had those guys (not saying we should have took them, just saying it would be nice to have some good names on the list).

After about 3 our list is toast.

QUOTE(Hatchetman @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
here's my top ten. fields is about the only guy who i'd call a "top" prospect, and he's no sure thing.

fields

sweeney

mcculloch

broadway

whisler

haeger

malone (prolly a 6 year FA though)

getz

lucy

nanita

You obviously dont know much about the system to have Malone anywhere near the top10. I like him as much as the next but he is a near non-prospect now. Also Broadway is ahead of Mccculloch or whatevr no doubt. Based on talent alone im guessing Anderson Gomes is on the top 10 too. Also despite struggling in AA Harrel prob on there and maybe even Valido.

well obviously i can't know as much as you do. malone could have a decent career as a lefty reliever. like a buddy groom type if you know who that is. he's 25 and missed a couple of years to surgery. i can guarantee he won't be on the "official" future sox list b/c if he makes the majors it probably won't be with the sox.

broadway could be a bottom of the rotation guy. gives up a ton of hits and doesn't strike too many out. limits the walks and homers. picked mcculloch ahead of him b/c i'm hoping he's got a little stronger arm. i'm trying to be optimistic.

From the obvious three of Fields, Broadway and Sweeney, there's:

Logan

Tracey

Phillips

Haeger

Nanita

Liotta

Whisler

Gomes

Valido

Egbert

Harrel

Perez

Russel

Cunningham

Richard

Chirino

That's 19. For the other one just take a guy from the DSL or something.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
From the looks of it, our list is going to surprise a few. Basically, it doesn't matter after the top 3. Most of the guys from 11-30 are pretty interchangable.

Ya, some former pretty highly rated prospects will not be getting much love. Were pretty much sick of certain guys getting love even though they can't produce for crap. At the same time, I hate giving guys that produce but lack the abilities to be very good major leaguers.

Either way...our system has to be one of the worse in all of baseball.

QUOTE(Hatchetman @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
well obviously i can't know as much as you do. malone could have a decent career as a lefty reliever. like a buddy groom type if you know who that is. he's 25 and missed a couple of years to surgery. i can guarantee he won't be on the "official" future sox list b/c if he makes the majors it probably won't be with the sox.

broadway could be a bottom of the rotation guy. gives up a ton of hits and doesn't strike too many out. limits the walks and homers. picked mcculloch ahead of him b/c i'm hoping he's got a little stronger arm. i'm trying to be optimistic.

Well he is 25 and still in AA and he isnt really even dominating it....Also according to some he doesnt have the same type of stuff since coming back either. He might make the majors but I wouldnt count on him sticking at all. Broadway has dominated in AA and no he doesnt have ace stuff but id say his ceiling is better than a bottom of the rotation guy... not an ace but u discredit him 2 much.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 2, 2006 -> 06:50 PM)
Broadway has dominated in AA and no he doesnt have ace stuff but id say his ceiling is better than a bottom of the rotation guy... not an ace but u discredit him 2 much.

Broadway hasn't come anywhere close to dominating AA. He's giving up more hits than IP (143/136) and his K/9 rate is nothing to write home about (around 6 or so...). Couple that with a max 90 MPH fastball and it's hard to see him as more than a fifth starter in the bigs at best. I will admit, I haven't seen him pitch and perhaps he's more impressive in person than on paper. I hope I'm wrong and he has a great career, but the numbers don't look great.

As for Malone, age is less important for pitching prospects than hitters. I don't what Malone's stuff is like now, and his control isn't great. But he's a LHP and will probably be a good FA pickup for someone. I think he could spend a few seasons in the bigs in someone's pen.

Whomever said that the Sox system is one of the worst, I have to agree. St. Louis is usually regarded as a pretty poor system, but the have Rasmus and Reyes. The Sox have no prospects even close to those two.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 05:43 AM)
Broadway hasn't come anywhere close to dominating AA. He's giving up more hits than IP (143/136) and his K/9 rate is nothing to write home about (around 6 or so...). Couple that with a max 90 MPH fastball and it's hard to see him as more than a fifth starter in the bigs at best. I will admit, I haven't seen him pitch and perhaps he's more impressive in person than on paper. I hope I'm wrong and he has a great career, but the numbers don't look great.

As for Malone, age is less important for pitching prospects than hitters. I don't what Malone's stuff is like now, and his control isn't great. But he's a LHP and will probably be a good FA pickup for someone. I think he could spend a few seasons in the bigs in someone's pen.

Whomever said that the Sox system is one of the worst, I have to agree. St. Louis is usually regarded as a pretty poor system, but the have Rasmus and Reyes. The Sox have no prospects even close to those two.

Reyes is in the majors so he is as much of a prospect as B-Mac or Jenks are....and I have never heard of Rasmus.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 06:07 AM)
Well, that means he must B teh suxors

No but if he was so much better than anything we have in our system Id think I would of known about him. Not neccesarily and Im not discrediting if he is a good prospect or not just the statement that he is so much better than anything in our system.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 3, 2006 -> 01:48 AM)
No but if he was so much better than anything we have in our system Id think I would of known about him. Not neccesarily and Im not discrediting if he is a good prospect or not just the statement that he is so much better than anything in our system.

I guess we'll know in 3 years or so. Obviously I could be wrong, I'm sure there are people know a lot more about baseball than I do that think I'm wrong -- you may be one of them. I'll even own up to being a typical internet fan (I haven't seen a minor league game in almost 4 years).

I just wish each of the Sox top 3 prospects didn't have a huge question mark on them:

Fields: Ks too much

Sweeney: Singles too much

Broadway: Gets hit too much, too few MPH

Maybe the Yankees system is a better comp, they have Duncan, Tabata, and Hughes which are similar position-wise to the Sox top 3 and a relatively thin system outside of that.